Is the "Ghost Rider" Returning?

While working the press for the "Ghost Rider" DVD, director Mark Steven Johnson got to talking about sequel possibilities, and guess what?

Looks like a sequel is probably going to happen, although Johnson may stay on as producer and hand the directorial reins over to someone else. But that hasn't stopped the filmmaker from pondering new villains. Looks like Scarecrow, Blackout and Vengeance might be on tap for future "Rider" installments.

Johnson also promises a lot more action if the sequel shows up, because you can do that once your origin story is filed away in Part 1.
Quote:
"I think one of my regrets for this movie [was that] Ghost Rider got so expensive himself, [so] it kind of cut away from some of the action," says Johnson. "I wish we had a lot more action than we do. And so for the second one, now that that's all built, that will bring the cost down on Ghost Rider and you can put more money into the fights, into the creatures. I mean, you'd like to see hell unleashed, do the same thing that Guillermo [del Toro] has done with the second Hellboy -- just hundreds of monsters and just really have some fun with it. You don't need to do the origin again, you don't need to do any of that. And the love story, I wouldn't do any of that. I would make it much more about him fighting everything that the devil throws in his way. We spent a lot of money designing the fire, the CG fire, and the skull and all that, and now that's all banked, so it does help."

No mention of Nicolas Cage's return, but that guy will star in anything these days. As for Johnson, he's also planning to adapt DC's "Preacher" for HBO.

Source: IGN Movies

Comments

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

Eh, didin't see the original although I do plan on it sometime. Is it even out of DVD yet?

Jun 8 - 07:33 AM

The Great One

A Z

Save yourself and dont see it..honestly there is no action...it is easily the worst comic book movie of all-time..all hail Batman & Robin!

Jun 8 - 07:42 AM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

No you are talking about Superman Returns

Jun 8 - 12:44 PM

glhxckid

James Schultz

The first one was so mediocre... I don't see how they could make another one.

Jun 8 - 07:44 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Unfortunately mediocrity means nothing. They made money off of it. Frankly I thought a few flashy action sequences were all this movie had. There certainly wasn't an overabundance of plot, the dialog was pretty lame and the main bad guy's were extremely weak.

Jun 8 - 08:17 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

I personally thougt the dialouge was fine except for Ghost Rider's horribly robotic lines ("SORRY..... ALL... OUT.... OF.... MERCY"). I personally liked the movie. I'll probably end up seeing it no matter what, but whether it's out of curiousity or an actual yearning is all up to whoever's directing it and how the trailer's look.

Jun 8 - 09:09 AM

Bear45

Eli Thomas

What about when he yelled: "Yee-Haww!!!" As he threw his chain to "lasso" the helicopter. LOL SO lame!!!

Jun 8 - 03:53 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

Jun 8 - 05:24 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Good call. I'll pass on this and wait for the Spawn reboot.

Jun 8 - 09:52 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 8 - 08:17 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Jun 8 - 09:09 AM

Bear45

Eli Thomas

Jun 8 - 03:53 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

Jun 8 - 05:24 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Good call. I'll pass on this and wait for the Spawn reboot.

Jun 8 - 09:52 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

dude, PLEEEEASE make another one!! this was one of my favorite crapfests EVER. it wasn't as bad as catwoman but...pretty close. i actually cried at that ending...it was so incredibley funny i couldn't hold back. the dialogue was SO bad and SO off...it was like listening to Britney Spears trying to do shakespeare. "ya'll...to be done...or ain't to be done...that be duh askin'." this is one bad sequel i'm all for.

Jun 8 - 08:42 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Jun 8 - 09:09 AM

Bear45

Eli Thomas

Jun 8 - 03:53 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

Jun 8 - 05:24 PM

Racer Z

Shannon Potratz

I won't be seeing Ghost Rider again. I won't be buying the DVD. And I CERTAINLY won't be burning anymore money to see the sequel. This was easily the biggest waste of 2 hours of the year so far and I can't imagine it could get much worse the rest of the year on out.

I was dragged to this movie because I was out-voted in my group of friends on which movie to see that weekend. My only satisfaction coming out of this disaster was that I was right in knowing how bad it was going to be.

Jun 8 - 09:28 AM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

You were voted out? Oh c'omon be a man and think for yourself.

Jun 11 - 06:52 AM

blank blank

bob jones

in the hands of a more capable director (or should i say just plain capable, cause this guy sucks) ghost rider could have been an awesome horror superhero movie. i always imagined a great ghost rider movie being something of a cross between from dusk till dawn, grindhouse, and black snake moan (in terms of cinematic feel), it needed to be rough and edgy, but instead, we got a superpolished tongue in cheek craptacular. plus, the cgi wasnt even that good. if the sequel makes more than 100 mil, people are dumber than i thought (and i think people as a mass thing are already dumb enough)

Jun 8 - 09:40 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Good call. I'll pass on this and wait for the Spawn reboot.

Jun 8 - 09:52 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I missed the first one. Couldn't get myself to see it. It just reeked of mediocrety (excuse my spelling). I'll catch it on DVD. Probably the second one too.

Jun 8 - 09:58 AM

buddablz

Jammie Hannah

"I wish we had a lot more action than we do."
How about action period, All Ghost Rider fights were when he wrapped his chain around those guys and that gulit stare thing. That movie wasted my time, I'm glad I saw it for free.
I can't say this made me care about the character, it was too cheesy and underwhelming for me to want to see a sequel. The special effects weren't good in this film.

Jun 8 - 10:32 AM

Hallarian

Corey Hensley

This movie was worse than Daredevil. It was worse than Batman and Robin. I was worse than ever other Direct-to-DVD movie I have ever seen!

It should have been directed by someone whose balls weren't surgically attached to Nick Cage's chin.

Jun 8 - 12:09 PM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

No you are talking about Superman Returns

Jun 8 - 12:44 PM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Wow, so many people with no idea what they are talking about.

Jun 8 - 12:46 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Well now what are YOU... talking about, aknddon3? Not Superman Returns again? Get over it, coach. Yes, it blew. But for crying out loud, you're not gonna get any cred anywhere by trying to force feed us this peculiar idea that it was the worst comic book movie ever. You're not, man. Just not.

Jun 8 - 01:17 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You tell him!

Jun 8 - 02:12 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

THANK YOU.... thought it's doubtful he'll listen. If he can just face the fact that people are allowed to disagree with him, he'll be better off.

Jun 8 - 05:25 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Jun 8 - 01:17 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You tell him!

Jun 8 - 02:12 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Jun 8 - 05:25 PM

alsanali

Alsan Ali

Is no one else concerned about the mention of a Preacher adaptation?

Jun 8 - 02:00 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You tell him!

Jun 8 - 02:12 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I would rather see a Werewolf by Night film.

Jun 8 - 02:13 PM

The Paki Don

Shahbaz Sarwar

Don't you think that the general audience would think that "Scarecrow" in a sequel would be odd, when he's also in the DC Universe of Batman and especially was so well-performed by Cillian Murphy? The general audience is surprisingly... creative... in their thinking...

Jun 8 - 02:31 PM

See-Jay

Chris *******

From what I've heard Ghost Rider is one of those movies where the only people that like them are the same people who like EVERY movie they see.

Jun 8 - 02:35 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

lol..

Jun 8 - 02:48 PM

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank

Best Comedy Actress