Another Superhero Movie! "Thor" is Coming!

He's a Norse god with a giant hammer. Bring on the bad guys!

According to the L.A. Times, the script for "Thor" has been written by Mark Protosevich, the writer of "The Cell," "Poseidon," and this winter's "I Am Legend."

Early word indicates that Matthew Vaughn is being courted to direct. You'll remember Vaughn as the guy who was about to direct "X-Men: The Last Stand," but bailed and headed off to do "Stardust" instead. (He also directed "Layer Cake.")

More word on this Marvel project when it becomes available. Because if there's one thing we can't have enough of, it's superhero movies.

Source: L.A. Times

Comments

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

"Hi! We're Marvel Studios, and we desperately need to justify our existence!"

Hey, Thor was my #1 favorite as a kid (a long, long time ago) but I have to say that I think we probably got enough of Thor on celluloid in Adventures in Babysitting.

Jun 14 - 06:51 AM

MarkMortimer

Paul Parker

Good god, are they so desperate that they are now making movies from the [b]lame z-list heroes department[/b]?

Jun 14 - 07:07 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Good God! NO MORE!

Jun 14 - 07:31 AM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Haha, Adventures in babysitting. Classic.

I guess the best part of news there is the fact that the script was written by the guy who wrote I Am Legend (which looks amazing). Only problem is that he also wrote Poseidon...

We'll just have to wait and see.

Jun 14 - 08:10 AM

lonechicken

Han Nguyen

Thor's not a bad idea for a movie. Thor the comic book hero, meh. I'd rather it not have been a Marvel project, but just the straight Norse mythology stuff.

Who's next on the list of Avengers getting a movie? Antman/Giantman?

Jun 14 - 08:16 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

Actually, yes, there are both Avengers AND Antman movies in the works.

It's a mad house! A maaaad house!!!!

Jun 14 - 08:20 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

Actually, yes, there are both Avengers AND Antman movies in the works.

It's a mad house! A maaaad house!!!!

Jun 14 - 08:20 AM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

Thor has always been kind of lame.

Jun 14 - 08:44 AM

God of Thunder

Thor Odinson

[b]By The Gods![/b]
Thor - lame? Z-Lister?

Clearly not comic book fans. Thor was not only an Avenger from the start - and is actually responsible for the Avengers (in a way, thanks to Loki).

And the new series looks to be promising.

Jun 14 - 08:54 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

Depending on whether they get the right talent involved, Thor could turn out to be a fine movie. You have to remember, this is a business. Even if Thor only makes 75 million domestic, as long as they spend less making it then it was worth it to them.

Jun 14 - 09:09 AM

MooNWalkeR

Jimmy Grosse

this movie will fail miserably

Jun 14 - 09:48 AM

skasforfags

Andy Grant

They should remake the shitty comic movies from the past 2 decades then try new shit.

Jun 14 - 10:02 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Thor would have to be played by a complete unknown actor. If they choose a competent director and someone who has actually read some Thor comic books, it could work. I prefer him without the beard though! Stan Lee could have a cameo as Odin. Who would be a good Loki, Thor's half brother?

Jun 14 - 10:12 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

No they gotta stop those Stan Lee cameos. Enough is enough I GET IT ALREADY.

Jun 14 - 12:49 PM

felixdaass

alex p

i think that HHH would be a wise choice to play the part of Thor.

Jun 18 - 10:59 PM

CenoBiteMe2000

Ghoul God

[b]...and John Cena as Captain America[/b]
WWE Films should produce The Avengers. Just what the world needs-- a 'roided-out Scarlet Witch and Wasp with fake, hard boobs.

Jun 19 - 02:35 AM

mastershredder

Mike Madd

yea last yeaar at wrestlemania,HHH came out with a big thor hammer and cape,he would be a good choice.

Jun 21 - 01:45 AM

mastershredder

Mike Madd

I think Zakk Wylde (rock star) would make a good thor,even though he has a beard now he would make the perfect thor and he is also more buff than most actors,i actually saw an article about him one time,it said thor with an electric hammer,hes perfect.

Jun 21 - 01:40 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

As a fan of British cinema, if they can get the guy who directed Layer Cake that will go a long way to legitimizing this project for me.

Jun 14 - 10:29 AM

blank blank

bob jones

i'll admit i have a soft spot for thor since i actually like norse mythology and what not, but i really cant see it working on the big screen.

however, im totally with bigbrother, having matthew vaughn on the project is pretty much the best thing that could happen to this movie, short of them hiring spielberg or something. at least they are not thinking of sylvain white or some hack like that. cant wait to see stardust.

but who would play thor? i cant really imagine anyone in the part. suggestions?

Jun 14 - 10:40 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think the Blond guy from Robin Hood Men in Tights played him in one of the innumerable made for TV Hulk movies. He is probably the best guy you've ever seen before, but since their aren't that many muscle bound blonde guys in hollywood these days they're probably better off taking a weekend to Stockholm or Oslo and finding some unknown. Definately save a role for Hamish from Braveheart as Volstagg.

Jun 14 - 11:07 AM

mastershredder

Mike Madd

Zakk wylde.

Jun 21 - 01:41 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

[b]YES![/b]
I think this is awesome! Thor has always been one of my absolute favorite comic characters. As long as they keep his image as a god of thunder smashing his trusty hammer mjolnir into bridges, I'm a happy camper. If the script turns him into a wussy living in the bronx fighting purse-snatchers I'm gonna be mad.

And to all you instant Thor-bashers out there, Iron-Man is really no more popular than Thor is, but everyone seems psyched about IM's movie. Why is that? Just because he's sci-fi? Think about it. Give blondie a chance, sheesh.

Jun 14 - 10:50 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

They'd better not screw this up.

Jun 14 - 10:52 AM

Matt

Matt .

If they went with an older Thor, Vladimir Kulich would be perfect:

Jun 14 - 11:05 AM

talan7

Todd Williams

I agree! When I saw The 13th Warrior I kept thinking to myself "this Bulivy guy IS Thor!"
Alas, he may be a bit too old. Karl Urban may work though. I would prefer they kept this as much from America as possible regarding filming, casting etc. Does Basil Poledouris still do soundtracks? if not Hans Zimmer's the man.

Most importantly, they have to show Asgard ala Lord of the Rings style. If they could do that and make the Midgard scenes work well with it sort of like the original Highlander then go for it. Thor is one of my favorites just because he talks so much $^^%^ when he fights. I don't trust Hollywood to get it right.

Jun 15 - 07:18 AM

BooneSkeeter

Frederick McDonald

Basil Poledouris is dead

Jun 15 - 07:29 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Good call, I completely forgot about the 13th Warrior. mainly cause I always picture that guy as Beowulf which the 13th warrior sampled from massively.

Jun 15 - 11:13 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 14 - 11:07 AM

mastershredder

Mike Madd

Zakk wylde.

Jun 21 - 01:41 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Slightly off topic, but isn't there an SNL sketch where someone falls in a bear pit at the zoo and Chris Farley starts shouting "That bear crushed his head like so much volleyball!" and Norm MacDonald says "Like so much volleyball? Who are you, Thor, God of Thunder?".

That's what this movie should be like.

Jun 14 - 11:19 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

God bless Chris Farley...why do the fat drug addled ones have to go so young?

Homer Simpson: " I'm like David Spade without Chris Farley...alone and useless"

Jun 14 - 11:27 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

God bless Chris Farley...why do the fat drug addled ones have to go so young?

Homer Simpson: " I'm like David Spade without Chris Farley...alone and useless"

Jun 14 - 11:27 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday