Director Change for "Narnia 3"

Andrew Adamson directed the first two "Narnia" chapters, and it looks like he's about to hand the reins for Part 3 to an old veteran.

Adamson will still stay with the series as a producer, but it looks like "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" will be helmed by Michael Apted. The director's best-known films include "Coal Miner's Daughter," "Gorky Park," "Gorillas in the Mist," "Class Action," "Blink," "The World is Not Enough," and just plain "Enough." He's also spent several years on the "Up" documentary series that visits with the same folks every seven years.

Production on "Dawn Treader" begins in January. (It's scheduled for a May 2009 release date.) Fans of the books can expect Part 2 ("Prince Caspian") film to hit theaters early next year.

Source: Variety

Comments

Thundaar

Paul Fairbrother

If they could change the kid actors too that would be ok with me.

Jun 20 - 05:24 AM

Sam jacobs

Agreed. There performances had as much life and expression as a boulder.

But the new director raises my hope for the series.

Jun 20 - 05:04 PM

ZeIceAge

Neal Hassler

How COULD they?!?!

Jun 20 - 05:27 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

[b]How long are they gonna take this?[/b]
Not all the books involve the pevensie children. The next 3 is gonna be hard sellers without the children IMO.

But I still hope all books are made into film.

Jun 20 - 05:52 AM

CannibalPenguins

Jaja Jaja

Screw the children!
Rate the movies PG13 and distribute it "family" crap POC2&3 were.
(Weird how POC1 wasn't marketed that way)

Anyways Disney is so comfortable with 3 PG13's, why not carry them out?

WHY NOT HAVE PIXAR MAKE AN R-RATED FILM?

Jun 20 - 08:37 AM

Alexaion

D Krispin

Uhhh... the next three do involve them, however. Or, at least, in some form or another. They return as children in Prince Caspian (albeit several thousand years later, when their own exploits are legend); again as children (though two of them only) in Dawn Treader. And they are also in The Horse and his Boy which, really, should be between the first one and Prince Caspian, though I'm not sure when (or if) they'll make it. Though in that one they are adults, and their appearances are not as main characters.

Actually, it is that one I'd most want to see of all, along with the 'first' one (ie. the one technically before The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, which is The Magician's Nephew.) For those that don't know, The Horse and His Boy follows a boy and a girl from the southern kingdom of Calormen who are trying to flee into Narnia. What is interesting is that the Pevensie children appear not as primary characters but rather as cameos, the famous rulers of the distant kingdom of Narnia.

The Magician's Nephew, however, would be yet more interesting, as it is essentially a prequel, and follows the Professor in his youth (after all, that 'try me' at the end of the movie when he asks about what they've been doing isn't just a kind comment...) It follows him and his adventures after he has a run in with his mad uncle and essentially shows the origins of many things, including Narnia, and the White Witch, the latter how she comes to be, having been Jadis, a mighty sorceress-empress in the ruined city of Charn in another world. That, I think, would be best of all the seven books. However, I somehow think that it won't be made, unfortunately.

Jun 20 - 06:49 PM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I didn't even know they were making a second one.... oops.

Jun 20 - 06:26 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

That's because it has taken about what, ten years to make the second one?

Jun 20 - 07:34 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

And Harry Potter is shitting out a new movie almost every 8 months!

I actually like the Narnia Series better then the Harry Potter series.

Jun 20 - 07:45 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

That's because it has taken about what, ten years to make the second one?

Jun 20 - 07:34 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

And Harry Potter is shitting out a new movie almost every 8 months!

I actually like the Narnia Series better then the Harry Potter series.

Jun 20 - 07:45 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

And Harry Potter is shitting out a new movie almost every 8 months!

I actually like the Narnia Series better then the Harry Potter series.

Jun 20 - 07:45 AM

CannibalPenguins

Jaja Jaja

Screw the children!
Rate the movies PG13 and distribute it "family" crap POC2&3 were.
(Weird how POC1 wasn't marketed that way)

Anyways Disney is so comfortable with 3 PG13's, why not carry them out?

WHY NOT HAVE PIXAR MAKE AN R-RATED FILM?

Jun 20 - 08:37 AM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

Good. I hated the first one. Hopefully the second one isn't too bad, and the third one now has more potential.

Jun 20 - 09:01 AM

haelohm

Sean Collen

[b]huh?[/b]
harry potter releases a film every year and half...and they are way better films than Narnia...sorry...Order of the Phoenix will be the best movie of the Summer

Jun 20 - 11:24 AM

okuonuora

Bruce Leroy

You are a little boy.

Jun 20 - 01:35 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Your Mom's a little boy. See it doesn't feel very good when people say non-sensical shit to you does it? Now apologise and I'll get you a cookie.

Jun 20 - 02:12 PM

haelohm

Sean Collen

[b]what?[/b]
what does being a little boy (wtf?) have to do with anything in reguards to opinion or merit of commentary?

Oh and for crying out load, at the age of 4, Mozart wrote one of the most famous tunes in the world! thanks...

Jun 20 - 04:05 PM

Sam jacobs

There's a lot of age discrimination on this site...

Jun 20 - 06:18 PM

[b]Thank You[/b]
Damn straight. No one takes me serious cause I'm 13.

Jun 21 - 02:13 PM

Sam jacobs

I, too, have been discriminated (though not often) because of my age.

Jun 21 - 02:29 PM

How old are you?

Jun 21 - 02:51 PM

gvonah

Guilherme von Ah

I think Defmonkey was talking about the Narnia books, not the movie
Fanboys are so funny... =)

Jun 21 - 07:46 AM

okuonuora

Bruce Leroy

You are a little boy.

Jun 20 - 01:35 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 20 - 02:12 PM

haelohm

Sean Collen

[b]what?[/b]

Jun 20 - 04:05 PM

Sam jacobs

There's a lot of age discrimination on this site...

Jun 20 - 06:18 PM

[b]Thank You[/b]
Damn straight. No one takes me serious cause I'm 13.

Jun 21 - 02:13 PM

Sam jacobs

I, too, have been discriminated (though not often) because of my age.

Jun 21 - 02:29 PM

How old are you?

Jun 21 - 02:51 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 20 - 02:12 PM

haelohm

Sean Collen

[b]what?[/b]

Jun 20 - 04:05 PM

Sam jacobs

There's a lot of age discrimination on this site...

Jun 20 - 06:18 PM

[b]Thank You[/b]
Damn straight. No one takes me serious cause I'm 13.

Jun 21 - 02:13 PM

Sam jacobs

I, too, have been discriminated (though not often) because of my age.

Jun 21 - 02:29 PM

How old are you?

Jun 21 - 02:51 PM

Sam jacobs

Agreed. There performances had as much life and expression as a boulder.

But the new director raises my hope for the series.

Jun 20 - 05:04 PM

Sam jacobs

There's a lot of age discrimination on this site...

Jun 20 - 06:18 PM

[b]Thank You[/b]
Damn straight. No one takes me serious cause I'm 13.

Jun 21 - 02:13 PM

Sam jacobs

I, too, have been discriminated (though not often) because of my age.

Jun 21 - 02:29 PM

How old are you?

Jun 21 - 02:51 PM

Alexaion

D Krispin

Jun 20 - 06:49 PM

gvonah

Guilherme von Ah

I think Defmonkey was talking about the Narnia books, not the movie
Fanboys are so funny... =)

Jun 21 - 07:46 AM

zooman

Alex Reyes

I think the Harry Potter movie series is impressive in its constant quality, but to tell you the truth, I've usually wanted them to be over about 30 to 40 minutes before they actually are.The first Narnia movie had more flaws, and the Narnia books are simpler plot wise anyway, but I loved the after taste it gave me even for days (while i forgot hp the moment I got out of theaters, I actually needed a rest from them; while I craved for staying "in narnia" even days after seeing it).

The source material seems to be deceptively simpler for Narnia, but it has an extra substance that I don't see in Harry Potter. HP seems like only a gettaway, while Narnia is a challenging gettaway. Maybe, kids in Narnia are way more imperfect than the heroic teen figures in HP; you relate to the former in a way that challenges you about your own strenghts and weakneses, about how you would react in such circumstances where both universal virtue and weakness, which we can find deep in ourselves, are presented instead of the more simplehearted "the hero ends up doing what is both exciting and also good, so I guess I would have also". Anyway, the bottom line is that even when it comes to only the movies, I prefer the first Narnia than any Harry Potter to date.

Jun 21 - 12:19 PM

[b]Thank You[/b]
Damn straight. No one takes me serious cause I'm 13.

Jun 21 - 02:13 PM

Sam jacobs

I, too, have been discriminated (though not often) because of my age.

Jun 21 - 02:29 PM

How old are you?

Jun 21 - 02:51 PM

Sam jacobs

I, too, have been discriminated (though not often) because of my age.

Jun 21 - 02:29 PM

How old are you?

Jun 21 - 02:51 PM

How old are you?

Jun 21 - 02:51 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office