The Next "Bond" Director Has Been Chosen

And it's certainly nobody you'd expect!

The director of "Bond 22" will be ... Marc Forster. Yes, the guy who gave you "Stranger Than Fiction," "Stay," "Finding Neverland," and "Monster's Ball," is about to give you a James Bond movie. (The director also has "The Kite Runner" on the way.)

Production doesn't get underway until December, but Paul Haggis is presently doing his polish of the Neal Purvis / Robert Wade screenplay. (All three writers also worked on "Casino Royale.")

Obviously Daniel Craig will be returning as 007, and I'm betting we'll see some more of Judi Dench too.

So I can't be the only one who thinks this is kind of a weird choice. Not a BAD one, necessarily, but a strange one. Guess we'll find out in November of 2008.

Source: Variety

Comments

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yes, we certainly wouldn't expect it cause it so totally wasn't suggested that he was one of the candidates for it on this very site a month ago!!! OK, now that I've put Weinberg back in his place, this is an interesting choice. Obviously he'll bring something new to the character relationships. Hopefully he won't make a pigs ear out of the action sequences. Should be interesting.

Jun 20 - 05:26 AM

Reeven

Jud Widing

I still think they should have just stuck with Martin Campbell, but I'll keep an open mind.

Jun 20 - 05:46 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

eh...ok? while i liked the movie and i like craig...i just don't see craig AS BOND. not really pumped about this franchise anymore. i'm more anxious in Bourne. i think they took too much away from the usual bond to make this...BOND. its more an routine, but decent, action character with no real defining qualities that stick out.

Jun 20 - 06:11 AM

Devoted95

Faizan Laghari

[b]Ooops!![/b]
Wohh hohohoohohoh. Hold on a tick. Is this person the right choice for the bond film??..ummm..I dont like to prejudge but I'm having a little bit of a doubt. But then again, the list that was shown a couple of weeks back for potential directors was quite freaky (they even had Tony Scott in their..wtf???..I mean c'mon) not that Tony Scott was a bad director, but his style would'nt suit a bond film. Casino Royale is one of my top favourite films, and am planning to add Bond 22 to this list. Personally I have'nt seen any of Marc Foster's works but now I am planning too. He's done quite a bit of romance, comedy and drama but I'm just thinking about the action scenes. Will he be able to do that wicked action scenes that Campbell did?? or better yet, surpass them???. Well, he is a talented director and he's done pretty tight films (even if not so much of bond genre) but I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt. A great thing is with him, there will be a lot of human drama and character development involved.

Jun 20 - 06:13 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I think most movies we've seen from a director who can nail drama will translate into almost any other genre (except maybe comedy). I'm not worried about the action scenes, I think it'll work itself out.

Jun 20 - 06:23 AM

blank blank

bob jones

talent is talent, and forster has made some really good movies. even though he is not an action guy, im real happy with this choice.

Jun 20 - 06:39 AM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

I too am alright with it. Loved Neverland and Fiction. Hopefully he'll deliver.

Jun 20 - 06:48 AM

Monkeyfist

Andrew Schmitz

The James Bond series died about 20 years ago. If you took the name James Bond out of the title character and replaced it with something else, you'd have about 5 below average action films that nobody would have seen, and make very little sense story-wise. I challenge anyone to tell me what the hell Die Another Day was about.

Jun 20 - 06:51 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

Die Another was about a korean guy who wanted to become more powerful than the world wanted him to, even his father didn't want him to. bond interfered...broke up his plans, and when everybody thought koreaguy was dead...he went to cuba...changed his face through surgery down there, thus becoming a british tycoon RICH as h3ll with the stolen diamonds he got...and created a satellite that took the suns rays and created a killer weapon. typical bond movie. not difficult, just have to have an iq higher than 2 to understand it. keep to the old school "you bad, we kill you..." plots OldManRiver...this new stuff is too complicated for ya grandpa

Jun 20 - 07:29 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

[b]Awesome response[/b]
You nailed it. I liked most of Die Another Day. Not sure about this new guy.

Jun 20 - 10:48 AM

Warheart1188

Tim Higginbotham

In some ways the Bond franshise diminished a bit long ago in the '80s but Pierce Bronson breathed new life with the amazing Goldeneye. Tomorrow Never Dies, was alright, The World is Not Eough, wasnt enough for me and Die Another Day, didn't entice me one bit but I watched it anyway. Casino Royale was like Goldeneye to me. I said 'This is Bond!'. I was glad is wasn't remake of the original Casino Royale movie, which doesn't even count as a real Bond flick, and gave us a fresh, modern day look at how Bond started out. I have high hopes for the new one.

Jun 20 - 08:01 AM

Weed17

Naveed Shah

the original casino royal was a spoof with woody allen .. how could you have hoped that the new one wouldnt be like that .. i mean if it was ... it wouldnt be a bond movie .. srsly... doooihdooohhhduuuuhhh

Jul 27 - 12:57 AM

blank blank

bob jones

die another day was about bond learning how to surf a tidal wave using flashy material and living in a castle made out oh ice. jeez.

the world is not enough is definately the worst bond movie ive seen. denise richards as a nuclear scientist? are you kidding me? sophie marceau was wasted in a movie like that. even the song sucked. bah.

im glad they revamped the franchise with an emphasis on acting (pierce was great as bond, but the writing didnt help at all)

Jun 20 - 08:39 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Denise Richards made a great nuclear scientist. She's got two nuclear reactors to conduct her research. How is that not believable?

Jun 20 - 11:00 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Actually bigbrother he was on that list. I'm a fan of his and I'm happy with this, I would have prefured Alex Proyas though. While Casino Royale was a good action film, it was kinda a bad Bond film, so hopefully Forster makes this one feel a little bit more like Bond.

Jun 20 - 08:53 AM

rt_hire_me

Teague Bates

Yeah, you're right: good action film, but not a good bond film. What's with the sicko, sadistic villain and the nutcracking scene? That wasn't 'fun'. Bring back Jaws!

Jun 20 - 12:15 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I know I broke my own rule and tried to use sarcasm. It's one of my pet peeves when people do that and don't make it blatantly obvious. Now I'm a classic case self-loather :)

Jun 20 - 12:36 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

My bad, once I slow down it's obviously sarcasm.

Jun 21 - 11:33 AM

taran72

Dan Mills

It's going to be hard to follow up Campbell, one of the (if not THE) greatest Bond director of all time. Of course, that's not saying much, but he's done a great job.

Jun 20 - 09:59 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Forster's a good director guys. Give him a chance.

Jun 20 - 10:00 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

[b]Awesome response[/b]
You nailed it. I liked most of Die Another Day. Not sure about this new guy.

Jun 20 - 10:48 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Jun 20 - 11:00 AM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

huh. didn't see that coming. Well, it could work. Stay looked good, even if it didn't have that much substance. as long as Haggis and crew keep up the excelent plot and the new found hardcore Bond, i think it will be as good as Casino Royale.

Jun 20 - 11:56 AM

rt_hire_me

Teague Bates

Jun 20 - 12:15 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 20 - 12:36 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

My bad, once I slow down it's obviously sarcasm.

Jun 21 - 11:33 AM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

well..... that's an odd choice...... but it could be good........ we just haven't really seen an action movie from the guy before.

Jun 20 - 12:49 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup