Non-Fan Bay Was Schooled In "Transformers" Nostalgia

Summary

Michael Bay kind of resented the "Transformers" toys at first. They made him go to Transformers School at Hasbro before he took on the project. Going through that experience actually made more of a "Transformers" fan out of him. Back to Article

Comments

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Okay...

Jun 28 - 02:53 PM

skasforfags

Andy Grant

This is the most exciting news since Spiderman dances.

Jun 28 - 03:41 PM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

[b]Bay's into Anime?[/b]
...Damn, I bet he has a biggger collection than me.

Hey Bay! Call me!! We'll goto a Anime Con sometime!!

Jun 28 - 05:24 PM

tyler8186

Tyler Peterson

"A perfect example, because I will always hire actors that have a good improv skills, like Nic Cage in The Rock..."

...
...
...

?

Jun 28 - 05:25 PM

Devoted95

Faizan Laghari

[b]Thats comedy Einstein[/b]
By saying that he picked Nick Cage for improv skills, (improv means conveying humour I think) he meant that an actor who can convey comedy in real dramatic and serious situations. If you have seen The Rock you will know this. Nicholas Cage is a very funny guy. He, alongwith the great Sean Connery provided some light scenes in a tense environment. Here's a few lines from the movie to refresh your memory

Cage: " There's a madman in there with his hands on a ...ON A BUTTON!!!! "

Cage: " Hi, I'm an agent with the federal... FBI... Well, my, I'm Stanley Goodspeed "

Cage: " Heh. I'm a chemical superfreak, actually, but I still need a gun"

Cage: " I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts."

Cage: " What do you say we cut the chit-chat, a-hole? "

Cage: " Yeah I got three weeks weapons training, I'll kick the....out of the platoons full of marines "

I think you get the picture......

Jun 28 - 07:29 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

I really hope this isn't a sign of future RT news.

Jun 28 - 06:15 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

"I wasn't a fan of transformers until they paid me $8 billion dollars and let me put 'oh shit! ruuuuuuuun!' in the script"

Jun 28 - 06:18 PM

Reeven

Jud Widing

"That's just me -- I'm like, 'Okay, this kid is so funny.' I'm like, 'Dude, you've got say this.' He's just funny. I'll often add jokes along the way."

I'm like, Dude, use that joke. I added that joke in as we went. I do things like that.

Jun 28 - 07:04 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

By the way, the line "This is way cooler than Armageddon" is simple proof that people are going to be pissed at this movie. Me? Not really a Transformers fan. Keep Bay away from Batman and I'm happy.

Jun 28 - 07:08 PM

Devoted95

Faizan Laghari

[b]Thats comedy Einstein[/b]

Cage: " There's a madman in there with his hands on a ...ON A BUTTON!!!! "

Cage: " Heh. I'm a chemical superfreak, actually, but I still need a gun"

Cage: " I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts."

Cage: " What do you say we cut the chit-chat, a-hole? "

I think you get the picture......

Jun 28 - 07:29 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Just saw it. Haters can bite their tongues. The movie is a triumph. Plain and simple. And yes, way better than Armageddon.

Jun 28 - 07:42 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

Wow, that is high praise coming from you. A triumph? Wow.

Jun 29 - 09:20 AM

Moonscream

Moon Scream

"...one of the bigger Transformers fans in the world..."

Maybe in the world of his own mind...

...but he'd get pwned pretty quickly on any given Transformers forum on any subject other than his own movie, which is a pretty small part of the mythos.

Jun 28 - 08:09 PM

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

good lord i am SO sick of all this bay-bashing. it's so old. everyone needs to freakin get over themselves.

Jun 28 - 08:42 PM

Metafact

Jane Holt

"This is way cooler than Armageddon!"

*groan*

Jun 28 - 10:41 PM

Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly

Why would anyone be annoyed with the "This is way cooler than Armageddon!" line?

If anything he's taking a stab at himself, not praising.

Transformers is going to rock for the simple fact that it isn't a sequel!

Jun 28 - 11:57 PM

Goosemagnetic

Mike Gainer

[b]Sigh...[/b]
What a dick.

Jun 29 - 12:24 AM

adonihs

daniel luvisi

Do you guys seriously, just sit in the pit of your room bashing Michael Bay, hoping one day you could achieve the level he's at?

Do you guys know that, even if you don't like his films, he's one of the most successful directors out there? That, par The Island, all of his films have grasped 200 mill plus?

Is this why you guys are so jealous of him, that you have to speak bullshit out of your asses to feel good about yourselves?

The guy's a prick on set, maybe a bit in love with himself, but who the fuck cares. At least he admits to it. My friend worked as an intern for him on Transformers, said Bay was intense, but not a dick like you all make him to be.

Like that guy said above me somewhere, get the hell over yourselves. You guys are so goddamn bitter, it's not a shock that the majority of you can only write about films, never to actually step foot on set.

Tools.

Jun 29 - 02:04 AM

The Bastard

anthony holcomb

... i just think his movies lack quality. i dont care what kind of guy he is. pearl harbor was one of the worst serious war movies ever made. (i added "serious" to disqualify crap like in the army now.)

judgements made on any artist should be based entirely on their body of work, (not receipts) and michael bays films just do not stack up to any quality director.

Jun 30 - 02:30 PM

Defshep

Vance Shepherd

[b]Wasn't He Selected By Spielberg to Do This?[/b]
Sir Steven also recommended Bay as director for THE ISLAND as well...

His movies, for the most part, are enjoyable popcorn flicks. Armageddon is a stupid movie, but can't action movies just be allowed to be fun? THE ROCK is an action classic. THE ISLAND has found a following on DVD and cable.

Bay has a great eye for coordinating action sequences, sometimes sacrificing story in the process. But sometimes you just wanna see shit blow up real good.

He's in the same category as Tony Scott, who has directed some of the best modern action films. I'm sure Scott gets trashed here, too.

Jun 29 - 04:32 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Right; he didn't choose somebody that would make Transformers a thought-provoking masterpiece; he wanted a director that would make a kick-ass action movie.

And I love Armageddon...

Jun 29 - 08:35 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

Everyday we have one of these Transformers PR fluff pieces about Michael Bay and what he thinks and how he made this movie. It getting kinda weird - as if they are trying to convince people that this is a good movie worth seeing (and the fact that so few reviews are available for a film that is releasing in 4 days seems to support that theory). The proof will be in the film. Marketing is not news. Please stop.

Jun 29 - 06:36 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

The proof is corroborated. We've seen it. We like it. And we're going to see it again. :-)

By the way, if you think Spiderman 3 cheated you out of your money and/or that Rise of the Silver Surfer did all but actually rise, go see this movie. Your faith in the summer blockbuster will be restored.

Jun 29 - 11:03 AM

Albert

Alberto De la Hoz

[b]Is it just me, or does Bay kinda has some talent?[/b]
I mean, I hate most of his movies. Bad Boys II and Pearl Harbor are two of the worst movies ever. But I can't help noticing he CAN do good things, like the first half hour of the Island, and some scenes in The Rock and Armaggedon. He's quite stylish and has a nice visual flair.

I, for one, think the guy someday will make a movie that will shut everybody up. He have the skills. He's talented. He only needs to stop drinking that much coffee. He's blowing his own damn movies up.

Jun 29 - 08:06 AM