Heath Ledger: 1979-2008

Summary

Heath Ledger, star of films including Brokeback Mountain, 10 Things I Hate About You, and the forthcoming The Dark Knight, was found dead this afternoon. He was 28. Back to Article

Comments

anas

anas nasheed

Yeah...i hope he did go with a smile...although i expected a LOT more after his great performance in Dark Knight...

Jan 22 - 10:21 PM

jmesko80

John mesko

As far as actors and famous people in general go I am not one to really "mourn" their passing, but for one reason or another this one is pretty hard for me. I can't help but wonder if this is how people felt when River Phoenix passed (I was only 13 when he died and wasn't all that familiar with him). Kornbread is correct in saying that many people care more about celebrity deaths than they do Soliders or other day to day people, but maybe its because they don't hit as close to home. As a family member of many in the armed forces I can't be lumped into that group, but I do think this is as much of a tragedy as any other death. As far as calling him a junkie and such, I think that's unfair and we should reserve all judgement until we recieve the autopsy reports. I feel for his family and daughter and Michelle who I am sure is taking this very hard as well. To all Heath's fans, we should keep him alive by enjoying the art he has given us and celebrate the talent we are able to see instead of mourning what might have been. R.I.P. Heath!

Jan 22 - 10:22 PM

bassturd

Bass Turd

This site is amazing. Trolls in every thread. They even come to a comment section about an actor that has died to troll. Simpley amazing...are there ANY moderators on this board ever?

Jan 22 - 10:23 PM

latenite9

Stephen Hart

I agree wholeheartedly with "bassturd". The trolls making those posts should be ashamed of themselves and their usernames banned quickly.

Here is one despicable example:

moviegoer101 writes:
on Jan 22 2008 07:12 PM

thats sucks for heath dedger.....he choked on brokeback sausauge i guess..

Jan 22 - 11:11 PM

thishereguy

This Guy

Just tragic. What's especially creepy, in retrospect, is this article from the New York Times from November 2007: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/movies/moviesspecial/04lyal.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

It talks about him being so stressed from "The Dark Knight" that he was sleeping two hours a night. "One night he took an Ambien, which failed to work. He took a second one and fell into a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing."

The interviewer describes his nervous behavior: "Even as he spoke, Mr. Ledger was hard-pressed to keep still. He got up and poured more coffee. He stepped outside into the courtyard and smoked a cigarette. He shook his hair out from under its hood, put a rubber band around it, took out the rubber band, put on a hat, took off the hat, put the hood back up."

And the most ominous part; Todd Haynes, who directed "I'm not There", in which Ledger played one version of Bob Dylan, said this: %u201CDylan was completely inspired by James Dean, and Heath has a little bit of James Dean in him, even physically..."

I do hope that "The Dark Knight" can be completed, so that the world can see his final performance. I may not be able to watch it without crying, but I will go to see it.

Jan 22 - 10:32 PM

Cowboyninja

Paul Chien

Like anyone you admire from any trade, regardless of occupation, its hard to see someone with talent leave this "place" so early in their life and at their prime. Its not about just some actor, but someone who gives in a way thats earnest and the amount of talent and/or skill they possess.

I would feel the same if, let's say, Tim Hawkinson died.

Jan 22 - 10:36 PM

Monkeybone

Monkey Bone

The paparazzi really pissed him off, i think that had something to do with his death.

Jan 22 - 10:40 PM

InTheArmsOfGod

David Leon

I think he was the real Dark Knight of this decade. He wasn't all about the glitz and the glamour, just the role. I'm sure his role as the Joker will be excellent. May he rest in peace with the angels of God.

Jan 22 - 10:40 PM

Binu

Binu Azeez

R.I.P Heath....This is a terrible loss.

Jan 22 - 10:52 PM

latenite9

Stephen Hart

Here is one despicable example:

moviegoer101 writes:
on Jan 22 2008 07:12 PM

thats sucks for heath dedger.....he choked on brokeback sausauge i guess..

Jan 22 - 11:11 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Rest in peace. I've always admired his charisma since 10 Things and A Knight's Tale, but he's acting chops blew me away in Lords Of Dogtown, Brokeback Mountain, and I'm Not There. By the start of this year, Ledger was one of the few young actors I was really planning to focus on. Therefore, I'm more deeply saddened than if a lesser performer had died. Any death is a huge loss, but this one cuts deep for me.

Jan 22 - 11:11 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

his* acting chops

Jan 22 - 11:13 PM

aka_nympho

Jakob C.

How wretched would it be if this was another Dark Knight PR stunt to further the delve into madness?

It would certainly be the "Killing Joke" indeed.

He was in the best roles of his life too... it just doesn't make any sense...

RIP Clown prince.

Jan 22 - 11:17 PM

thishereguy

This Guy

It had occurred to me that it might be a stunt, but I seriously doubt that's the case. The backlash would kill the film, and Ledger's career, and it wouldn't take the studio more than 5 minutes to figure that out. It would make the debacle over Sony's Goat Sacrifice at the "God of War II" Launch Party look like a picnic. (see http://www.infowars.com/articles/occult/sony_depraved_goat_sacrifice_promotion_stunt.htm) If they tried something like that, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the studio and Ledger himself were sued for emotional distress and fraud by millions of angry former fans, and any friends or coworkers who weren't let in on the secret.

Jan 22 - 11:29 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

RIP Clown Prince Of Crime.

We barely knew ye...............:(

Jan 22 - 11:23 PM

thishereguy

This Guy

Jan 22 - 11:29 PM

latenite9

Stephen Hart

A tragic loss for the Ledger family, as well as the film community and movie-lovers everywhere.

He was a gifted young actor. I thought Heath Ledger's performance in Brokeback Mountain was heart-breaking, truthful, and definitely Oscar-worthy. I recently saw him in the movie "Candy" -- a powerful and harrowing performance. To think how actors like Jack Nicholson are still giving Oscar-nominated performances at age 70 and beyond...and Heath Ledger being only 28 years old... He had much life to live and much great work to do, and now he is gone. He will be missed by many.

Jan 22 - 11:35 PM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

Troubling. I'm shocked. Angry. Sad. I feel like we were just realizing what this guy could be. On top of the loss of this talented guy, the Dark Knight will now have a cloud over it. Hopefully, peace will be made with this tragedy before we get to see what most of us expect to be a final, brilliant performance.

RIP Heath. We wanted to know you.

Jan 22 - 11:40 PM

Jules03

Julia V

As everyone has mentioned, this is extremely upsetting. I agree with Sprizmo, I own the Crow and I immediately thought of the Brandon Lee tragedy. Out of all the self-destructive actors/musicians/celebrities in America, what are the chances that the life of a talented and bright actor such as Heath Ledger would end so abruptly? It's a horrific loss and I'm very saddened by this.

While before I had been excited about the premier of the Dark Knight, being a huge fan of Batman Begins, I must say that I will look forward to it now with a heavy heart and much sadness.

Jan 22 - 11:44 PM

Lux Obscura

jonathan brazeau

This is obviously horrible. Heath was on his way to becoming a legend. I think just a few more years and he would have really solidified himself in the top echelon of actors in the world. It's just made more painful because he had so much potential and seemed like a stand up guy. Heath Ledger will always get my respect.

RIP
godspeed

Jan 22 - 11:51 PM

fewewf444

Erik H

rip heath cant wait to watch your masterpiece

Jan 22 - 11:57 PM

screwhead100

Ben Wellick

R.I.P. Heath

Jan 22 - 11:58 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast