Heath Ledger: 1979-2008

Summary

Heath Ledger, star of films including Brokeback Mountain, 10 Things I Hate About You, and the forthcoming The Dark Knight, was found dead this afternoon. He was 28. Back to Article

Comments

Darule17

Darryl Gagnon

I cant believe this...Heath is dead RIP MAN WELL MISS YOU

check my slideshow video I made of him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZNa3kbRPOw

Jan 22 - 04:30 PM

movieman81

richie hoglund

Darule17 great job on the tribute!!!!!

R.I.P Heath Ledger

Jan 22 - 10:05 PM

yrr

Chris Perth

That is so tragic. He was a great actor... such a stupid thing, damned drugs! :-(

Jan 22 - 04:31 PM

DeathValleyJason

Jason Blenner

Brandon Lee was killed by a freak accident he had no control over. He had no choice . Ledger did. Its an insult to compare him to Brandon Lee.

Jan 22 - 05:44 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

You know i always thought seeing the dark knight would have been

a moving experience and now i am sure of that. It will be one of the surreal

moments of myy life seeing people cry when they see the Joker for the first

time. and by the end, i know i will be crying as well not of sadness but of

joy watching an incredible actor's final performance be his finest. a

standing ovation for Heath's life, let the ringing sound of love carry you

into heaven where you will be appaulded forever forbeing such a wonderful

person!

Jan 22 - 04:32 PM

jtom

j b

Tragic.

Jan 22 - 04:40 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

Such a damn shame. It's strange because he's the kind I could totally see this happening to. But you still don't expect it and it's still shocking and awful when it happens.

Jan 22 - 04:42 PM

Mr. Positive

. .

When my friend told me, my mouth instinctively went agape in shock and sadness. This was a talent that was also humble and friendly. A rare combination in today's world. One of my favorite actors gone at 28. And people wonder why drugs are illegal. Or even if they were prescription, why you don't overdose. Just a tragedy.

Jan 22 - 04:43 PM

Mr. Positive

. .

Jan 22 - 04:45 PM

gnotleo

Leo Felicia

I cant believe this, its just so unreal. For someone like me, i hardly break a tear, but reading the title, "Heath Ledger Found Dead" was a total shock too me. It's like, losing a great friend.

RIP Heath Ledger.

Jan 22 - 04:49 PM

badjokephil

Phil Cater

RIP Heath. As a dad, it makes me very sad for his young child. How can we revel in the Joker's comic madness now?
As well, I feel for Terry Gilliam. A great filmmaker but that guy is cursed.

Jan 22 - 04:49 PM

DeathValleyJason

Jason Blenner

This is a sad day to join rotten tomatoes....i am still happy to join the forums...But to the news at hand . If Heath did die of an overdose I HOPE the The Studio does NOT put a RIP at the end of Dark Knight.. However a dedication to his daughter who will never see her father would be appropriate . I wonder if congress will investigate Hollywood? Why go after Barry Bonds for roids . He is very much alive.. Brad Renfro 25? DEAD.... Anna Nicole 40 DEAD, Britney Spears? Soon? Hey Congress get your head out of the dug-out !! I wanna see 700 foot home runs. I dont want to see people die young!

Jan 22 - 04:51 PM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

Terrible news. I'm very sorry for his daughter. Why couldn't it have been Jared Leto?

On a more selfish note, any idea if this will hinder The Dark Knight? I know they're in post-production now. Hopefully they won't need to fix any Joker scenes. Sigh.

Jan 22 - 04:57 PM

ohmemercylard

Jimmy Reeves

That was hateful. What did Jared Leto ever do to you? Was My So-Called Life somehow offensive to you? Why sully Heath's memorial forum with stupid crap like that?

Jan 24 - 08:19 PM

Helen Stevens

Helen Stevens

Sharpless - "Why couldn't it have been Jared Leto? On a more selfish note, any idea if this will hinder The Dark Knight? "

You think worrying about TDK is MORE selfish than wishing this tragedy could have happened to Jared Leto? If you're wishing somebody dead I don't think you can get more selfish, no matter what you think of them.

Please, this is a sad time, no more griping. Let's just remember Heath and worry about the important things - like his daughter.

This tragedy only serves to proove how fragile life is, we should all take the lesson that we should live every day as if it were our last...just in case.

Jan 25 - 02:12 AM

iamtheseagull17

Cameron Harvey

damn-this makes me sad.
i remember watching him in a knights tale back in 7th grade, and i finally got aroudn to respecting him as an actor. he will be missed
my deepest sympathies to his family
and jake gyllenhaal, too-he was his kids godfather

Jan 22 - 05:00 PM

filmboy22

Colin Troy

This truly is tragic. Of all the up and coming true actors of their generation, Heath had to be taken at the potential height of such a breakthrough. He could have gone on to be the next De Niro or Nicholson. Now he will always be remembered as this generations James Dean. R.I.P. Heath.

Jan 22 - 05:01 PM

raiderhater

Josh Murray

RIP Heath. I hope he is rightly honored for his performance The Dark Knight, which looks to be amazing.

Jan 22 - 05:05 PM

FilmAddict1975

Kyle Russell

I'm horrified. What a loss. From reading what has happened, and especially from reading his interviews, I would not be surprised if his death was a result of some physiological problem. He stated that he would not sleep more than 2 hours in a night for the last several months, which could very well have been indicative of something else--physiological--going on. Though, since he did get a prescription for sleeping pills, his doc may have checked him out just in case. He had mentioned in an interview that he had taken 2 ambien and it only allowed him an hour of sleep. If ambien was the prescription sleeping pills they found, I would be really surprised if they led to an accidental overdose. Just from his own descriptions, it really makes me think something else was up.

Jan 22 - 05:08 PM

FreakyNipples69

Nicholas DiMucci

It's so pointless that such a terrific actor would commit suicide (hard to believe it was accidental, anything with sleeping pills sounds like suicide). To everyone else, who cares about the Batman films? We are lucky that The Dark Knight features such a talented actor that set the bar for which all other future Joker, and villain, performances will be measured by. We should all embrace the terrific performances that he left behind.

Jan 22 - 05:10 PM

cmsof

Chris Martin

Holy surprising OD's!

Jan 22 - 05:10 PM

Slusho!

matt bush

Man, this is terrible. How ironic is it that I bumped into an old classmate that played the part of the joker in a cheap batman film we made back in high school. I've hadn't seen the guy in at least 15 years!

Prayers for Heath's family and loved ones. Godspeed...

Jan 22 - 05:12 PM

DeathValleyJason

Jason Blenner

We need to get mad not sad....I knew River Phoenix from the music scene in Florida .He died so many died .. I miss him but these kids dont get it!! Oh when he was saying he needed to take pills to rest because of the Dark Knight sounds like a cop out. Addicts always make a excuses...

Jan 22 - 05:13 PM

NotoriA

Adrien Benson

This is truly sad news. To lose such a fine young actor is a great tragedy. I am sorrowed that we have lost a fellow human being who has inspired, entertained, made us think and just plain made us love film. And though he may be gone, his memory will stay with us for ever, for he was an actor of the ages.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Jan 22 - 05:13 PM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!