Cannes 2008: Shia LaBeouf Star of Next Indiana Jones?

Indy V to revolve around Mutt?

Journos from across the world have been interviewing the stars of Indy IV today in Cannes, with several of the key players letting slip there may be further whip-crackery in the future, though with less of the titular archeologist himself.

Firstly, speaking to Fox News, George Lucas commented, "I haven't even told Steven [Spielberg] or Harrison this but I have an idea to make Shia LaBeouf (who plays Mutt) the lead character next time and have Harrison come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). I can see it working out."

Harrison Ford, in a conversation with MTV, was also questioned about potentially being the supporting character next time round. "I have no cheeky answer for [that]. I just work here. I'm glad to work here," he said. "Till they tell me otherwise, I will continue to be Indiana Jones."

LaBaouf meanwhile added fuel to the fire, saying, "I know Harrison would love to [continue]. Is there going to be an 80-year-old Indiana Jones? No one can say never." The Transformers star continued: "Mutt's pretty wild [but] it's all about what the public feels. I know if it's received well, that's a pretty definite indicator. If it's received well, I don't imagine they would stop making them."

Comments

arendr

Arend Anton

Not crazy about this idea.

May 19 - 08:34 AM

Actaphu

Phu Bui-Quang

You don't think Mutt is dead to real?

May 19 - 08:45 AM

Actaphu

Phu Bui-Quang

You don't think Mutt is dead to real?

May 19 - 08:45 AM

Kleuker

Lutz Kleuker

why not? imagine shia la buff's mutt in 30 years from now (that's the late 80's in the indiana jones universe), bringing the berlin wall down, because the communists hid an artifact in it. i.e. lenin's backbone, that obviously gives its owner supernatural powers, as lenin was an alien of course.

i can clearly see that.

May 19 - 08:46 AM

cypress550

jeremy burnside

i hope that doesnt happen

May 19 - 08:59 AM

LordVapor

Justin Quarterman

LOL @ Siebener, however that really would be a believeable....*at least I'd believe a studio coming up with that kind of plot* plot line.

This one should be good....from there lets see a year or two down the road.

May 19 - 09:46 AM

ShiaLeDouche

Shia LeDouche sucks dasf

I swear to god, that if this goes through, I will toil away the rest of my life in hopes of creating a time machine so that I may go back, find the two monkeys or whatever other strange jungle animal responsible for creating the plight we know today as Shia LeBeef and I'll do this world a favor. . . . I think Spielberg and Lucas need to go back and watch a certain episode of South Park.

May 19 - 09:52 AM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

MTV and Fox News (which I like to cal Faux News) are two of the worst news outlets out there. I think we'll see another Indy film stuck in Developmental Hell before we see LeBeouf taking the role.

May 19 - 10:11 AM

ShiaLeDouche

Shia LeDouche sucks dasf

I hope you're rihgt like you don't know.

May 19 - 10:32 AM

insanemansam5

Samuel Ewing

Umm...it was Lucas who's comments made news not one of the Fox commentators while I don't like Fox there's no reason to believe they're misquoting Lucas.

As for the sequel idea well, it doesn't very good but I'll hold off judgement until after I've Crystal Skull.

May 19 - 10:46 AM

insanemansam5

Samuel Ewing

As for the sequel idea well, it doesn't very good but I'll hold off judgement until after I've *seen* Crystal Skull.

May 19 - 10:51 AM

ShiaLeDouche

Shia LeDouche sucks dasf

I hope you're rihgt like you don't know.

May 19 - 10:32 AM

punktuate

Justin Montello

lets see how this Mutt character is cause Shia is the bomb but I already hate his whole greaser look but hey we will see when the Crystal Skulls comes out

May 19 - 10:32 AM

insanemansam5

Samuel Ewing

May 19 - 10:46 AM

pinkincide

jon doe

Dammit, I knew this was going to happen. Now we'll have to endure more of his spaz outs where he says "No, no, no, no,nonononono...." like a broken choo choo train in every movie. LaBeouf's been knighted by Hollywood royalty for reasons having nothing to do with his acting chops. I really think it may be that he looks exactly like a young Spielberg.

May 19 - 10:48 AM

Daniel Mulraney

I loathe this kid. "Mutt Jones and the Frozen Horse Apple" Sucks

May 19 - 10:57 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Hmm..

Maybe Lucas can direct it. . .

and Shia LaBoef will actually be the father, of an uber young Indiana Jones played by a bad child actor. . .

then Shia LaBoef explodes, is put back together by aliens, just so he can yell NO - O- O -O

May 19 - 11:05 AM

halose7en

Peter Kaplan

This kid pisses me off. I say no.

May 19 - 11:31 AM

slartibart

Chris Sullivan

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

May 19 - 11:52 AM

opTIMus Nerd

Tim Ahlberg

I got it! Shia can star in a TV adaptation as a YOUNG Indiana Jones and the series will be a huge hit! Oh wait...

May 19 - 12:10 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Honestly,

I can't really think of anyone that can take Harrison Ford's place. He has totally dominated that role.

It's like replacing Chewbacca with a smurf.

If it has to be a younger person in LaBoof's age range, I'd probably want Ryan Gosling, as he's great in everything he's done.

May 19 - 12:14 PM

RottenRob

Rob Potter

I think I could go for a smurf as a replacement for Chewbacca.

Also, in case Shia isn't as funny as Harrison, they could probably work in Jar-Jar as his sidekick. Why not?

May 19 - 01:45 PM

vaodsi

john irvine

i guess it won't be indiana jones and the blah blah blah.
how about Mutt Williams and the the Search for Noah's Umbrella

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo-ah!!!!!!!!

somebody... make George STOP!!!!!

May 19 - 12:24 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus