Lucas Gets Ready to Roll on Red Tails

Summary

George Lucas is getting down to work on Red Tails, his tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen, and hopes to begin shooting on the picture by the end of the year. Back to Article

Comments

Gimy

Gimy Moo

nice picture...Don Vito seems to have finally cleaned himself up. YO

Jun 18 - 06:14 AM

thereign

lance berry

Lucas isn't mature enough mentally to handle a subject as intense and delicate as this. He has a rose-colored image of life back then, and will probably have the Airmen escorting the other planes with Jar-Jar as their wingman.

Jun 18 - 07:47 AM

RottenRob

Rob Potter

That's awfully pompous naysaying, thereign.

Just thought I'd tell ya.

Jun 18 - 08:24 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Can we PLEASE leave the annoying "Lucas is a hack" stuff out of at least ONE thread?

Also, I'm fairly certain he's just producing this movie. It will be directed by someone else.

Jun 18 - 08:33 AM

thereign

lance berry

No, we CAN'T have a thread without the "Lucas is a hack" stuff, because he IS.

If you re-read the article, nowhere does it mention Lucas will hire someone else to direct it. Under his photo, the caption reads "Lucas hopes to make Red Tails HIS next film". Rick McCallum, a Lucas suck-up for over a decade, is producing the film, and knows which side his bread is buttered on, so he won't stand up to his lord & master, should Lucas decide in any way to play fast-and-loose with history(just because the Airmen were invited to Skywalker Ranch to record their history doesn't mean Lucas will stick to it...or do we all really think Tucker was 100% factually accurate in every scene in the film?)

Lucas used to have brilliant ideas, but always looked to someone else to execute them(the first Star Wars film an exception), which is part of the reason Empire Strikes Back was the best of the SW films(directed by Lucas' film teacher), and the original Raiders was so great(written by Kasdan and directed by Spielberg). Now he ruins everything he touches(the new SW trilogy, his "MacGuffin" of the aliens in Crystal Skull, which both Ford and Spielberg NEVER wanted to include), and I therefore have nothing but contempt for the "filmmaker" as he is now. As a black male, I hold very little hope for a true and accurate account of the Tuskegee Airmen, but I will eat my hat with ketchup and bell peppers all around, and willing to have Chef Gordon Ramsay himself standing over me & yelling into my ear about what a crappy job I did of preparing the Tophat Du Jour, if he actually does a good job of it!

Rottenbob & Arendr, please don't think that I am responding to your posts with direct anger...I am NOT. Having had some extremely annoying personal news delivered to me today, I am in an extremely pissy mood, and reading this nonsense about Lucas trying to do justice to a very important--and OFTEN overlooked--section of history gives me space to vent. I will therefore stick to my "pompous naysaying" until proven otherwise, in regards to Lucas' involvement with this flick.

Peace to you both, dudes. Honestly.

Jun 18 - 12:37 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

TheReign, I respect you man. I often agree with you, and I know you've backed me up in the past. It's just a slight disagreement.

Hope your personal news is nothing too major.

Jun 18 - 01:45 PM

trgdr777

C Ferguson

I'm glad they're taking the story directly from the accounts of these men rather than trying to fill it with made up drama. I'm keeping my eye on this one. I'll be sure to read up a bit on my history in preparation.

Jun 18 - 11:19 AM

h-town24

frank ford

I agree trgdr777. Sounds fantastic!

Jun 18 - 12:25 PM

thereign

lance berry

No, we CAN'T have a thread without the "Lucas is a hack" stuff, because he IS.

Peace to you both, dudes. Honestly.

Jun 18 - 12:37 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

Hope your personal news is nothing too major.

Jun 18 - 01:45 PM

rockster11

Matt Gamble

I just love the people who try to supress others opinions of a "PUBLIC" figure....Here is mine.... Lucas is a hack... And I bet 10 darth vader trading cards that this movie will tank..

Jun 18 - 12:45 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

All I'm saying is it's getting annoying to hear people shout that every time there's a story on the guy.

Jun 18 - 02:02 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

Hope your personal news is nothing too major.

Jun 18 - 01:45 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

Jun 18 - 02:02 PM

thereign

lance berry

Arendr;

Thanks for the kind thoughts. You're right...this Lucas thing is a minor disagreement, and I absolutely see your point of view. My (personal) deal is just one of those things in life that I seriously didn't need at the moment(right at the tail end of a "Fu.ckME" week that seemed to finally be leveling out), and leaves me so angry that it's physically draining. I'm not going to discuss it, but I'll deal with it like most people do in life: by just taking things as they come and rolling with the punches. No big.

Peace.

Jun 18 - 02:56 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

First Slavery, now this. =(

Jun 18 - 03:24 PM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

Lucas hasn't handled very well a realistic movie about realistic people since American Graffiti.

Hmm...

That was a while ago.

Jun 18 - 05:12 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Lucas did direct one good movie about 30 years ago, maybe he's due for another.

Jun 18 - 05:43 PM

<em>The Simpsons</em>
The Simpsons

Catch up on 25 seasons of hilarity

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank