What The Hell Happened To ... Cuba Gooding Jr.?

Summary

This week, Rotten Tomatoes turns its gaze upon the once promising, now perplexing career of a certain boat-tripping, dog-sledding Oscar winner in hopes of pinpointing just where things went wrong. So what the hell happened to Cuba Gooding Jr.? Back to Article

Comments

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I agree with what your saying americandream50, but Insomnia was a well receaved movie that a good amount of people liked and it did alright at the boxoffice. While I personily really liked 15 Minutes, if you want a bad DeNiro film that no one saw, that would be The Bridge of San Louis Rey.

Sep 13 - 11:05 AM

movieman74

ben einhorn

Knowingtoast Id just like to say. I like ur comparison but nicolas cage is gods curse when it comes to the move industry. He has never given one godd performance except for leavin lv which they did so many reshots for him.

Sep 15 - 05:39 PM

dahluzz

joe shmo

"The American Association on Mental Retardation continued to use the term mental retardation until 2006. In June 2006 its members voted to change the name of the organization to the 'American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities'"

great. but just to be clear, the society that has been representing mentally challenged people for decades, was ITSELF using the term "mental retardation" until two years ago.

somehow, the "retardation" part gets legitimized when the word "mental" is in front of it. But really, this has been an accepted term for quite some time and it's only now being changed because of our society's hypersensitive, politically correct nature.

The thing about free speech is that as soon as people start to say "well, you can't say that because it offends me. no one is allowed to say that." then it's no longer FREE speech. it is censored speech. and censorship is a slippery slope because as soon as we're not supposed to say 'retard' another group will come forward with something that offends them and we won't be able to say that, and so forth.

It will wind up being a bunch of regulations that don't actually solve the problem because you cannot force people to be tolerant. there are bigots in the world and there always will be. what you CAN do is offer art or messages or arguments that support and further YOUR beliefs. because that's all they are, beliefs.

there is no standard that says 'making fun of mentally challenged people is wrong.' your feeling that it's wrong is part of your subjective set of morals and you can't impose those morals on everyone. as soon as you do, free speech, with its positive and negative connotations alike, goes right out the window.

Sep 16 - 12:13 PM

Lost*Highway*

Peter Mayers

"there is no standard that says 'making fun of mentally challenged people is wrong". That says all there is to know about you DAHLUZZ.And all that other claptrap is you just hiding your hate behind Free Speech and censorship fear mongering.That's all the talking I will do with you mate...you are amazingly un-evolved.

Sep 16 - 10:21 PM

Lost*Highway*

Peter Mayers

Sep 16 - 10:21 PM

shiaiblue

Marshall Petty

Whatever happened to the good days of Leslie Nealson (for those of you who think he had good days)? He used to star in great movies such as; Naked Gun, Forbidden Planet, a small appearance in Poseidon Adventure, Dracula Dead and Loving it ( a guilty pleasure of mine..it really is a funny movie, despite what most people say), and Airplane. Now he is subjected to minor rolls in films like Scary Movie....it is sad to see an actor of his caliber in such small rolls...

Sep 18 - 08:22 AM

The Movieologist

The Movieologist

I too thought it was a bit suspect when Halle Berry and Denzel both got their oscars at the same time. I guess I can agree that Hollywood was trying to show that they are not discriminating against blacks. I mean Denzel has done much better performances why all of a sudden Training Days and Halle Berry's performance in Monsters Ball was no where near as good as some of the white actresses in the category.

I used to resent Halle Berry for that reason and I didn't believe she could act but I am now starting to take her seriously. I think her role in perfect stranger and The things we lost in the fire show that she can act.

Anyways this is about Cuba Gooding Jr. I know that Black actors have a hard time with roles but I don't believe that is the case with Cuba. It's just poor management. I have had the chance to see Cuba Gooding off screen and you can see that there is or was a side of him that wanted to be a big celebrity a larger than life character and I believe that hunger for that celebrity power made him choose films that he thought would maybe catapault him there. If he had just concentrated on the art form and taken serious roles as someone mentioned Phillip Seymour Hoffman, I think that would have worked out better for him. But what do you do when you are young, black and you got your first Oscar are you gonna dive into Hamlet or you gonna dive into a 'Fast and The Furious' type of vehicle or better yet 'SNOW DOGS'???

My favourite black male actors who very rarely let me down.

Forest Whitiker
Morgan Freeman
Denzel Washington
Will Smith
Samuel L Jackson

Hollywood needs to give black female actresses a break. The only one who gets a look in on big screen movies with whites is Halle Berry. Angela Basset is only cast in big production Black movies like How Stella and What's Love.

Sep 22 - 03:51 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer