Backstage at the Oscars: My First Time

RT's Jen Yamato gives her first-hand account of what it was like to cover the Academy Awards.

"When he came home for Christmas a year ago, he had been sending me shots and bits and pieces from the film. And he hadn't seen it, I hadn't seen it. No one had really seen it, but he knew. And I said to him, I have a feeling this is it for you. You're going to get a nomination for this. And he just looked at me and smiled. So he knew."
--- Kate Ledger on her late brother and Best Supporting Actor winner, Heath Ledger

When asked if we had questions for the Ledger family, the entire room answered together in one shout: "YES!" And so the family of the late Heath Ledger --- father Kim, mother Sally, and sister Kate --- came in to discuss his posthumous Oscar win for portraying The Joker in Chris Nolan's The Dark Knight.

Gingerly but with quiet strength, the trio answered inquiries on a range of topics.

Would they take the Oscar home to Australia? (By Academy rule, it belongs to Heath's daughter Matilda, who can claim it when she turns 18.)

How would Heath have reacted to his win? ("I think he would be really quietly pleased," said mother Sally Bell.)

How close is the family to Matilda's mother, actress Michelle Williams? ("Very close," answered Kate Ledger. "She's doing an amazing job with Matilda, and we speak all the time so we're in constant contact and always will be.")

Lastly, Ledger's sister shared what she'd seen of Heath's unfinished film, Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. "We have seen a little bit of footage," she said. "He only completed about a third of the film. And we've had some incredible actors -- Johnny Depp and Jude Law and Colin Farrell -- step in to complete it. And I think it's going to be...amazing."

"Terry is amazing and Heath always had such enthusiasm and interest in whatever Terry was doing," she concluded.

Next: Best Supporting Actress Penelope Cruz thanks Woody Allen

Comments

The Great One

A Z

Great write-up Jen...looking stunning as always

Feb 24 - 06:50 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Great article Jen, that must have been a fun night. Also is it just me or does Danny Boyle seem like the coolest guy, the guy is literally always smiling! Every picture he is in he always has a big smile, which is kind of ironic since most of his movies are pretty dark- except Slumdog though it is dark at times of course. It must have been interested hearing Penn talk in person, now does that guy ever smile? Someone needs to read him Green Eggs and Ham to cheer him up, hee-hee (get it guys!). He was awesome in Milk and I wouldn't call his win an upset at all but just a surprise.

Feb 24 - 07:05 PM

jocorotten

Joanna Cohen

When I grow up I am going to be an Academy Librarian!

Feb 24 - 07:36 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Good article Jen, and you're looking lovely. I can't get enough of Philippe Petit. I swear, if he were balancing my Oscar, there'd be a brawl. I think Jackman's FIRST song was good, the second...was overdone. Nice ceremony all in all.

Feb 24 - 09:39 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

It was over done because of those damn High School musical kids! Damn Zac Efrom! DAMN THE ZAC!

Feb 24 - 09:59 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Let's make that an internet meme! DAMN THE ZAC!

Feb 24 - 10:13 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 24 - 09:59 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Let's make that an internet meme! DAMN THE ZAC!

Feb 24 - 10:13 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Let's make that an internet meme! DAMN THE ZAC!

Feb 24 - 10:13 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Thanks, guys! Boom goes the dynamite! Where's tomwaitsjr with the Space Chimps love?

Feb 25 - 12:11 AM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

Where does the Boom goes the dynamite thing start?! I remember first hearing it on Family Guy and it's exploded since then. Great article though. Was I the only one that thought the Pineapple Express skit wasn't overdone? I thought it was hilarious throughout the entire time. I thought the all of the musical parts were done nicely (although I could have done without anyone from High School Musical). I actually got my gf to watch (a miracle in itself) and she kept watching because of the musical elements, so I would imagine there were probably other new viewers like that as well. Overall it was the best show they've had in years.

Feb 25 - 12:14 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

The origins of "boom goes the dynamite": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

Feb 25 - 05:14 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast