Cannes 2009: RT's 10 Must-See Movies

We pick the handful of features you simply can't afford to miss.

Cannes 2009

Up - Few doubted that Pixar's latest could be an instant classic, but that doesn't mean the result is any less impressive -- at 26 reviews as we write, it's 100% fresh. "a rare, wondrous story of true love and dream-catching," writes Jonathan Crocker in Little White Lies. "Of holding on and letting go. You will believe a house can fly." "Per usual, the nuances of human relationships are conveyed via Pixar's predictably acute attention to detail, coded in a mysterious evocation of mood," writes Ed Gonzalez for Slant.
Find Out More

Comments

inactive user

Jared King

Why is the delicious Penelope Cruz always being embraced by old people? I mean, last year she had Ben Kingsley.

May 26 - 09:35 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

YESS to Lars Von Trier being number 1! Has always been one of my favorite directors.

May 26 - 10:45 AM

Xihix

Xihix Poops

No Imaginarium?

May 26 - 11:24 AM

Auguman

Auguman .

No Inglorious Basterds???, Man, it must really be dissapointing, Had High Hopes for this one,

May 26 - 11:30 AM

John B.

John Barrie

I still have high hopes for it. Then again, I liked Grindhouse (though RR's segment was the better of the two, by far), and critics certainly weren't in that movie's camp. QT's just been unable to be PIXAR...they keep putting out great films, and people wonder when they'll have a misstep. I don't know that Quentin's ever been completely off of the mark...I love Jackie Brown too, mind you....but with the exception of Kill Bill, none of his films have captured people's attention like Pulp Fiction, and I think he might just be one of those people you get or you don't. It opens three days before my birthday, and I know I'll be going, no matter what reviewers say.

May 29 - 07:15 AM

Dave J

Dave J

There are only 2 movies on that list could end up mainstream, Up and I love you Philip Morris with Jim Carrey. Those other films is not going to be another Slumdog Millionaire.

May 26 - 11:45 AM

Josh G.

imgonnaget STABBED

I really want to see all these movies. Sadly, going to school in Upland, Indiana doesn't really have it's perks as far as independent film viewing goes.

May 26 - 12:09 PM

Mike W.

Mike Willis

Wellllllllll I am seeing Drag Me To Hell, tomorrow, so i'll let RT know what I think. :p

May 26 - 12:37 PM

the_don_of_yreka

Francisco "Kiko" Gomez

Precious could be one to watch during the award season. Jim Carrey needs a really good comedy. Here to I love you Philip Morris, hoping he can break the mold from so-so comedies he bringing us lately.

May 26 - 12:42 PM

Joe Utichi

Joe Utichi

Sadly Imaginarium and Inglourious didn't go down so well in Cannes hence they didn't carry over from our Most-Anticipated list.

Antichrist isn't number one (except for Antichrist which I saved for the end, the list is alphabetical) but it gets by because it's very much a "must-see" even if the critics weren't all in its camp.

May 26 - 01:49 PM

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

TO Joe Utichi

it appears that you saw alot of films in Cannes... have you seen 'Basterds' and 'Kinatay'? what are your reactions? did you like both?

i'm curious for 'Basterds' because, well, first its a Tarantino film and second it got MIXED reviews

as for Kinatay, Ebert called it "worst premiere in Cannes history" yet it won Best Director. i'm a Filipino you see. I don't know if i'm gonna be proud that my country men WON or if i'm gonna be ashamed that a poor film won Best Director.

May 27 - 02:24 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

From what I understand, Imaginarium is going to mostly appeal to Gilliam fans only. Which I am, so that's a plus. Tarantino said he wasn't happy with how Bastards finished up in the rush to make it to Cannes, so he has a lot of post-production to do before he's satisfied to let it fly in the theaters.

I'll probably watch Antichrist, but I'm pretty sure it will haunt me for a long time.

May 26 - 02:48 PM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Looking for Eric seems good and i'm glad its getting good reviews. Plus i'm a big soccer fan (not the MLS we (U.S.A.) suck) and I know who Eric Cantona is and how great of a player he was.

May 26 - 02:59 PM

red_wine

ankit jhunjhunwala

Oh Antichrist is very much the must-see film of the year so far. You rarely have a film generating so much press and so many extreme re-actions from so many people.

May 26 - 03:01 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

I'm glad von Triers is finally getting away from the Dogme style. Stark, quiet scenes shot by handheld camera is great for a few movies but now I'm ready for some color, music, and exquisitely framed compositions again. At least, that's what I've heard about Antichrist. I could be mistaken.

May 26 - 03:56 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

red wine that is a very bold and very inaccurate claim.

May 26 - 04:13 PM

Joe Utichi

Joe Utichi

dystopiandweller: I honestly think it's one of the most beautifully shot films I've seen in years and years. Absolutely breathtaking.

Confounded: I definitely think there's a tighter, better film hidden in Inglourious and I think a little while in the edit will uncover it.

May 26 - 04:37 PM

Angel Dust

Duncan Cole

Holy ****! What an awesome list! Looks like 2009 is shaping up very nicely!

May 26 - 05:45 PM

sugar b.

sugar babe

For singles .... I found a hot place where you can find your rich and sexy partner...
Try your best to enjoy life..****SugarBabyMeet.com *****
HOPE YOU CAN FIND YOUR LOVE

May 26 - 08:12 PM

The Truth About Jack Hair

Matt d

Did the chick from Precious just advertise an escort site?

May 26 - 11:18 PM

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

was the Ken Loach's movie that won Palm D'or in 2006 that great?!

i mean, his film beat Babel and Pan's Labyrinth... those two films was one of the best that year... in my opinion, Pan's should have one the Palm, but then again i havent seen all the films in competition that year

May 27 - 12:59 AM

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

TO Joe Utichi

May 27 - 02:24 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup