Michael Jackson, King of Pop: 1958 - 2009

Summary

Michael Jackson, internationally known as the "King of Pop," died today at the age of 50. Jackson, who got his start fronting the family band The Jackson 5 at the tender age of eight before enjoying one of the most successful entertainment careers in history, often fell under intense public scrutiny for his personal life but created some of the most popular albums of all time and remained a pop culture fascination through his final years. He also helped popularize the music video genre, made extensive charitable contributions, worked with some of Hollywood's leading directors, and acted in feature length films while leaving a lasting influence on modern dance, music, and culture. Jackson was 50. Back to Article

Comments

inactive user

Jared King

You skipped a major part of his life...I guess you want to remember him fondly, which is honorable. Well, I think he had a sad life. I don't hate him. I never did. I just pity him.

Jun 25 - 05:38 PM

jocampo

Jerry Ocampo

rest in peace brother michael

Jun 25 - 05:44 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

Another child abuser gone. Big whoop. The world is a better place without him. Maybe now his biological children have a chance at growing up somewhat normal. I won't waste one second mourning that "man."

Jun 25 - 05:51 PM

Jon H.

Jon Harris

i think u are a total jerk and *******.u should show him respect and is family respesct to.so go and **** off *******.he should be honored not insuled by u so shut the hell up.

Jun 25 - 07:43 PM

Luc B.

Luc Boyer

To Jetta Jameson : Another child abused gone, period.

Jun 29 - 08:17 AM

karmees l.

karmees lufler

you're WRONG today it was reported that the alleged child that he mollested came out and said Michael never touched him...But the media doesn't want that to be broadcast, only the negative to make him look worse than what he really seems.

Jul 2 - 08:37 AM

Victor Onyegbulam

Victor Onyegbulam

shut the hell up. he is not a child abuser.

Jun 24 - 09:31 AM

Nine Oh Two

Nine Oh Two .

Personally, I thought Michael Jackson the human being was quite deplorable. Sure he had a great musical legacy, but he also had a highly questionable relationship w/ little kids. Then what does he do to escape the allegations? Move to Bahrain? He might as well have moved to the child molestation capitol of the world, Thailand.

He was pretty concieted to, whether he was going behind Mccartney's back and buying the rights to his music or erecting statues of himself, I would hardly call him a role model.

And who dies of a heart attack at 50, can anyone say Cocaine overdose? I mean, there were all these rumors of his nose falling off on an airplane then he would always go around wearing those surgical masks, lets face it, he probably OD'd on some coke.

I geuss I'm just irritated by the fact that this is being posted on a film web site.

Jun 25 - 05:53 PM

MDB_88

daniel johnson

Actually, I know someone whos father died at the age of 45 from a heart attack and there certainly wasn't any drugs involved...... so thats not a very sound arguement...

Jun 25 - 08:32 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

the funny thing is nobody proved he did it
pretty sure he did drugs though

Jun 25 - 05:57 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

Jun 25 - 06:01 PM

Kristin T.

Kristin Turner

Do parents not sleep with their children? Yes, they were not his children, but we do know his childhood. He was abused both verbally and physically at the hands of his father. He did not experience a happy childhood nor did he feel the love that a child should feel in order to prosper and grow. He overcame that and tried to show these children they were loved. Again, he was ACQUITTED of all charges for a reason.

Jun 27 - 08:01 PM

tabascoman77

Matt Perri

"Nobody could prove he molested them. He admitted to sleeping in the bed with children. As far as I'm concerned, that's just as bad."

My good friend's little girl has fallen asleep in her father's bed numerous times while he's reading or watching TV with her. That's quite a blanket statement.

Jun 29 - 07:22 AM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

Jun 25 - 06:01 PM

Kristin T.

Kristin Turner

Jun 27 - 08:01 PM

tabascoman77

Matt Perri

Jun 29 - 07:22 AM

Mike B.

Mike Bragg

If it weren't for MJ, I doubt I'd know who Weird Al was, so I will have to salute the man's life.

Jun 25 - 06:01 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

He died young. Remember all the health precautions he used to take? Wandering around constantly with a mask on his face, etc.

In the coming days we may find out if this all had to do with drug abuse and over-exertion.

I feel a sort of sense of relief that he's gone.

Jun 25 - 06:06 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

I agree, on it all, even the sense of relief... its like a person who many people loved, but has been on life support and braindead for the past couple years, causing a burden on many people, and now that the plug's been pulled, its just like... "Ok".

Jun 25 - 06:12 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

Honestly, I'm just... I don't know. I didn't like any of his music post 80s, and he was a complete and total freak (note that freak is all encompassing). Then again, he did have an enormous impact on popular culture, enough to where it deserves to be reported on a movie website. He acted in several films, his music has been a staple of movies for the past 30 years, and the butt of many jokes (in all media) for that long as well.

I don't feel the need to criticize him heavily now, nor do I feel the need to praise him much. He's dead, and... I guess that's it.

Jun 25 - 06:08 PM

Nine Oh Two

Nine Oh Two .

Yeah, im pretty indifferent to him dying, its just wierd to see how alot of people are showering him w/ praise when he led such a questionable life towards the end.

Jun 25 - 06:10 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

Jun 25 - 06:12 PM

Nine Oh Two

Nine Oh Two .

my condolences to his children Prince Michael Jackson,Paris Michael Katherine Jackson, and Prince Michael Jackson II (Blanket Jackson).

And I'm only 1/2 joking on this one.

Jun 25 - 06:13 PM

jaredisme

jared burnworth

you are a total jerk for writing this stuff....if you're pissed off that it's being reported on a "film site" don't post about it!! god.....

Jun 26 - 06:38 AM

Zed'sDead

Ethan O'Brien

Are you guys really that bored to come online and bash someone that has died merely hours ago that left behind parents, siblings and children.

If you didn't like his art, then fine, criticise that. But if you're going to come online and SPECULATE about what occured in his personal life, and speak to it as if it's fact, you are pretty pathetic.

Although it's a twist on an old phrase: if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your f***ing mouth shut.

Jun 25 - 06:14 PM

Dave J

Dave J

You can't deny that he had some of the most popular and influential songs and dances of all time(namely thriller) and that is very seldom. yes, he is a gifted musician and that is all he should be known for despite his faults.

Jun 25 - 06:18 PM

villain78

Enrico Banson

Word on the last two comments. Leave the guy alone. He's dead, and if you grew up with his music in the 80's he was, like it or not, part of your childhood.

Rest in peace, Michael.

Jun 25 - 06:26 PM

rebranded001

rebranded001 *

NAMBLA is desperately scrambling for a new spokesperson as we speak.

Why the hell won't anyone mention what's going on with Jeff Goldblum, either?

Jun 25 - 06:26 PM

crystalwhiteeyes

Tommy Savor

SHAMOAN! He-He!

...first Ed McMahon, then Farrah Fawcett, and now Michael Jackson? What a week!

Tonight on The Tonight Show in heaven, Johnny Carson has Ed on the sofa with Farrah Fawcett and musical guest Michael Jackson.

Jun 25 - 06:37 PM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

yeah you people have no right to judge him. if there's anything you should be criticizing, it should be his music and what not. but, even then, his music is some of the most influential music of all time so there's really nothing to criticize there either. so why don't you all just go to hell you judgemental pricks.

Jun 25 - 06:40 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

We have every right. If this was just some guy who wasn't famous, nobody would think twice before bashing on them. So he made some good music. Does that make it OK to sleep in beds with children?! Hell no!!! He was scum.

Jun 25 - 06:50 PM

Dave J

Dave J

It is not wrong to share the same bed with children since other cultures do the same thing and it is only alleged that something had happened even if nothing happen. All these court precedings was the influence of greed from opportunists of adults since they know he had alot of money. Charlie Chaplin went through the same accusations even though nothing was ever proven that he even took advantage of an underage child. Does this mean you should watching his movies too. Know the facts before making radical judgements. As I stated before MJ should be remembered only for his contribution to music and nothing else, he is not R. Kelly where he actually films himself exploiting underage kids. Have some respect.

Jun 25 - 07:09 PM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

well how do we know that you're not scum? hell I could be scum and you wouldn't even know. the only reason you think you can judge Jackson is because he lived a high-profile life and you believe everything the media tells you. maybe Michael did sleep with children. Maybe he didn't. you don't know for certain so why don't you hop off your high horse thinking you have the right to judge people. for all we know you could be just as bad as Michael Jackson 'allegedly' is.

Jun 25 - 07:15 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

MJ admitted to sharing his bed with children because he didn't see anything wrong with it!!! Children who weren't related to him in any way. That makes him scum. You or I being scum doesn't matter(I don't beleive either of us are.). You and I didn't engage in VERY questionable activities with children. I guarantee you that ANYONE who found out a man in their 40's was sharing a bed with their 12 year old, whether they slept fully clothed or not, would be outraged. Just because it's MJ and he had some good songs in the 80's and now he's dead doesn't erase that fact. It's not like we're dragging Mother Teresa's memory through the dirt here.

Jun 25 - 11:12 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Way to be classy, this board is suppose to talk about Jackson's career and not "allegations" on his personal life. This really isn't the time or place to discuss your problems with Jackson. He is the King of Pop and he had an amazing career.

Jun 26 - 12:13 AM

Dave J

Dave J

American EagleJRL
You're should be very fortunate you weren't born in the 1930's recession living in China, I don't think you'd be saying those things unless you lived to be poor with only a single bed to sleep on.

Jun 26 - 02:42 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

As a parent of two children myself, with all due respect, I have the right to weigh the character of someone, anyone, who has any kind of inappropriate proximity to children. Every parent should be [fairly] doing this anyway.

But now is not the time nor the forum to start an anti-Michael Jackson flame-war while his children and family grieve and his body is still warm.

Decency people.

Class.

It isn't really about if you think Michael deserved your respect or not. Opinions will always vary. If there has to be one, at least let them bury the man before the posthumous Friar's Roast begins...

Jun 25 - 07:00 PM

Brent L.

Brent Larson

Well he was an entertainer, he sold a lot of music, he paid off a lot of parents for sleeping with their children. The public does have a right to judge him. He was in the public eye his whole life, lots of celebrities who have been in his position are somewhat weird but have turned out fine. If he molested you, would you be saying the same thing? Probably not. But you're so quick to give him his sainthood. I can be a fan of his music and not his personal life. Hey, OJ played football and was a role model for a lot of people, but then he killed those folks so I guess we can't judge him because he was acquitted because of poor prosecution. I think people have a hard time not taking things personally that really don't affect THEM personally. Are you related to Michael Jackson? Didn't think so. So why don't you go do your over-dramatic mourning elsewhere.

Jun 25 - 07:28 PM

Dave J

Dave J

MJ is not OJ, he never beated anyone in his life and if you looked at MJ's early childhood he used to share the same bed with all his brothers and sisters since the Jacksons had no money. It really is the parents of those kids that are really taking advantage of him because of his wealth. He is just a 50 year old guy with a mind of a child. You guys are really sick thinking he could really molest any type of child. MJ should never got involve with someone else's kids, kids are in most cases start off rotten.

Jun 26 - 02:29 PM

RexLaboro

george glass

I agree. The sad part about the hateful comments is that these "people" don't even care about child molestation- It's just a cozy blanket for them to spew hate under. All of them worship criminals, liars, murderers and hypocritical religious figures. Their voices are not to be heard but ignored.

Jun 27 - 02:01 AM

chewie louie

L B

Without question, one the dumbest posts I have ever read on the internet.

Jun 27 - 02:14 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

I will Moonwalk down the sidewalk as an homage. Those allegations...they're going to follow his legacy...bummer.

I'm now wondering how long it will take for someone to start the conspiracy theory that Michael Jackson is indeed alive and in hiding and that a double has died in his stead. 3, 2, 1...

Jun 25 - 06:45 PM

rebranded001

rebranded001 *

I'm sure when they perform the autopsy they'll realize it was actually Latoya Jackson and not Michael.

Jun 25 - 06:49 PM

Joggles

Sean Baker

It's sad that his legacy will be so tarnished with the child abuse allegations and it's even worse that every band-wagon jumping moron out there thinks it's the funniest ****ing thing on the internet every time 'Michael Jackson' and 'children' get mentioned in a sentence.

Had anyone bothered to look at the case objectively, the parents would be under heavy scrutiny and should be held in a more deplorable regard than Michael Jackson. He was an incredible, albeit deeply disturbed musician that impacted a lot of people's lives and gave to charity extensively. He should be remembered for the facts rather than the medias attempt to get a nation wide meme started.

RIP Michael :(

Jun 26 - 02:27 AM

Siniquity

Sarah Jameson

I only feel sorry for his kids not for him, death is a part of life.

Jun 29 - 12:43 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships