It's a Pirate's Life for Steven Spielberg

Summary

Steven Spielberg has set about adapting "Pirate Latitudes," a posthumously released novel from Michael Crichton, with an eye to possibly directing. The story, set in 17th-century Jamaica, is described by DreamWorks as "a daring plan to infiltrate Port Royal, one of the world's richest and most notorious cities, and raid a Spanish galleon filled with treasure." Back to Article

Comments

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

Great News! While I like the POTC movies for sheer fun and beautiful design concepts. I have had a hankering for more serious films in the genre.
MASTER & COMMANDER for example was awesome! I always wanted to see a real gritty realistic Pirate version done like that.
I also read a while back that a serious BLACKBEARD film was in production, anyone heard whats happening with that?

Bring it on Spielberg! Do what your best at, and stop messing around with boring projects like Terminal and Munich.

Aug 27 - 04:18 AM

Nine Oh Two

Nine Oh Two .

Yeah, it would be good to see a serious take on this material, and actually, they've been talking about doing a sequel to Master and Commander(which they totally should)

And I actually liked Munich, although I found it gets better on repeat viewings

Aug 27 - 05:14 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

news items are bad today.

Spielberg just said he was doing "The-Bunny-Rabbit-Movie" HARVEY; I guess BOTH Tom Hanks AN Will Smith didn't return Spielberg's call

now he says he wants to direct "Pirates of the Carribean 3.1?"

there are an infinitly large number of ideas "out there"

Directors and producers are people just like you and me: we should make our own movies.

Aug 27 - 06:25 AM

Not L.

Not Likely

Except for the fact that they don't go writing insane comments on websites, and most have actual directing skill and talent

Aug 27 - 07:07 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Once again: The Evil Not L. who hasn't reviewed any movies speaks.

(why don't you delete my posts thenNot L.; since they are obviously harming you in some way)

What happened to First Ammendment Rights (free speech)?

Anybody with a motion picture camera can make a motion picture. anybody can post the movie on youtube.

Yet I have a nobody named Not L. who has not reviewed ANY movies to date telling me I can't do something.

ET the extra-terristrial is an insane idea.
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is an insane idea.
Philip K. Dick wrote about insane ideas.

Yet I have a nobody named "Not L." who has not reviewed ANY movies to date telling me I can't do something.

Not L. must have a white hood, a wodden cross, and lighter-fluid in his closet.

People hiding behind white hoods would attack people they don't understand and don't like (people different from them) all the time.

Aug 27 - 07:55 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

final word on Not L.:
Anyone who hides behind multiple handles and feels they must "police" things that other people say or do has some serious issues of instability themselves.

Aug 27 - 08:00 AM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Gordon, while I find them mostly humorous, your posts are written in a style that is reminiscent of the Joker's scribblings on the wall of Arkham or a serial killer's diary notes.

Aug 27 - 08:30 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

my posts are meant to humorous; (like "informative" crank-calls)/yet I hope something I say may remind someone else of an idea they can apply somewhere else

what prompts me to post is that I am disgusted at seeing movies like PAUL BLART MALL COP being produced when more interesting films like

ROD SERLING'S
NIGHT GALLERY
A Steven Spielberg Production

can also be produced( For instance)

I'm very hard to understand in general.
I get very enthusiastic about a subject and the FLOOD-GATES OPEN!!!!!!! and nobody can keep up with me; not even my own fingers or sense of "audience understandability"

FOR MAKING MY OWN MOVIES:
my son has an animation program and I have an Adobe movie-making program;
maybe I will make my own "thirty-second" film wonders for youtube.com.

Using software programs and animating things takes A LONG Time; even if my movies are 10 seconds, I'll be happy at first.

I made a few 8mm movies many years ago; stopping and starting the camera would make my friends dissapear and reappear

Aug 27 - 10:09 AM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

I'm sorry but not anybody can write or direct. And there are a lot of short films in youtube that prove the point. I don't want to be like the villain in ratatouille. But it's true. A lot of people say independent filmmaking is better, but there are a lot that suck. It takes a combination of Talent, practice and a hell lot of imagination.

Aug 27 - 01:16 PM

alsanali

Alsan Ali

Whoa, Michael Crichton has another novel? Awesome. Hopefully it won't suck like Next. I love his books and I'd hate for Next to be his final one.

Aug 27 - 03:27 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Would love to see them do a Master and Commander sequal. Having read all the Aubrey-Maturin novels I think Far Side of the World is middling as the series goes at best. Would love to see them do the 13 Gun Salute, The Wine Dark Sea, Treason's Harbor or The Letter of Marque just to name a few that IMO were better than Far Side. Any reason to get Crowe and Bettany together again would be cool with me...maybe get Jennifer Connelly to join in as Diana. Any excuse to get Jennifer Connelly into a corset is almost reason enough to do a movie in its own right.

Aug 27 - 05:10 PM

manwhatisthatthing

Hurjay Medilo

Could be good if it was serious. But not humorless.

Aug 27 - 08:25 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Sounds really good to me, hopefully he directs it.

Aug 28 - 08:46 AM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

Interstellar. Lincoln. Harvey. Pirate Latitudes. Oldboy. Tintin. Matt Helm. Indiana Jones and the Noun of the Adjective Noun.

It's official. Spielberg is booked until death do him part. It's time fanwhores gave up throwing his name around to direct their dream movies.

Even if he was available, it was time to give up anyway.

Aug 29 - 07:51 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships