Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Movie Blogs
As one of the original co-founders of RT here (no longer associated with the site however), I'll just throw in my two cents on the new design, but basically, it has a lot of problems. First of all, it looks like it was designed by non-designers or by a committee of non-designers. I'll get straight to the point as to some of the very major problems that exist right now.
1. How many different sizes of fonts are there on a single page? On this page alone, I count at least eight distinct font sizes. It's like watching someone using a word processor for the very first time. In a word, ugh.
2. The new review layout is lacking in personality. What happened to the nice sepia-like talking heads of the critics? Instead we get horrible Polaroid quality photos clearly taken under different lighting conditions. One guy has the top of his cropped off. The result is a review page looks like any number of horribly designed MySpace pages.
3. The design was obviously subservient to the goal of increasing page views in a way that seriously detracts from user experience. Review pages no longer allow you to view all reviews on a single page. Instead, you're forced to go to page after page after page after page just to find a particular critic. I know page views still matter in advertising, but if it means losing users through studied application of annoyance....well, does anyone here agree that the new review layout is better?
4. The attention paid to borders and alignment of page elements is non-existent. Some boxes have centered content (like the Tomatopicker box on the front page). Other boxes (like Now Playing) have their lists pressed close the left edge so as to be almost touching. Other content, like Headlines are left justified but indented. Bulleted lists have justification problems for multi-line items. Just take a look at the IGN footer information at the bottom of the page - in the legal disclaimer, every line has practically a different leading!
5. The Submit button on this page is HUGE as in GINORMOUS for no apparent reason. It's like, practically bigger than the RT logo on the top of the page! I mean, come on, it should be easy to click on buttons, but this is ridiculous.
The litany of problems go on. Hey RT! I love you guys, but you gotta call a skunk a skunk. The new design is plain awful.
0 Comments | Send This |