Posted on 08/31/11 09:19 PM | Last edited on 08/31/11 09:19 PM
I've decided to do a more in depth view of what I would change about the movie and certain aspects in particular.
1. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon - give them more development, have Obi-Wan be a little bit less of a jerk about Qui-Gon's views, and have Obi-Wan actually bond a little with Anakin but still have a little bit of unease about him after the council with the Jedi.
2. Anakin - have him be 12 years old, make his character tougher, give more depth on his inner conflict (leaving his mother and the hardships of being a slave), played by a better teen actor, be more heroic (particularly in the space battle), and have there be a scene of where we see scars from being whipped (given that he was a slave)
3. Padme - instead of a queen, maybe she'd be a servant. The queen would be an heir to the throne of the king and queen who would be killed off early in the movie
4. Jar Jar and the other Gungans - aside from having them speak normally and leave out Jar Jar's antics, not much to change
5. Darth Maul - make his character much smarter (this is in regards to the way he dies), more sinister, speaks more often, and have him live and escape, but not before killing Qui-Gon and being wounded by Obi-Wan (but wounding him in return)
6. Nute Gunray - give his federation a cooler name, shown as a ruthless tyrant, kills the king and queen at the beginning, place harsh taxes and laws on the people of Naboo, but be executed at the end
In the beginning, we are shown the planet Naboo at peace. However, the king and queen are soon assasinated. Nute Gunray takes over the throne and begins a very harsh rule (in which we actually get to see the suffering of the people in depth without the politics stuff). Upon hearing of this and the Jedi sensing something more sinister at work, the Senate sends Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to investigate. As they reach the planet, their ships are shot down but they escape them before they crash. Unable to get into the city without being spotted (as battle droids are patrolling the streets and around the city everywhere), they find help from Jar Jar who takes them to Otoh Gunga and get some help from them to sneak in. They rescue the queen, her servants, and some of her guards, but their ship is damaged in the escape. Along with a legion of battle droids, Darth Sidious sends Darth Maul to search for them. Darth Maul finds their location.
(the parts on from here on mostly stays the same except for more character development, make the podrace more exciting like giving it obstacles and higher stakes, leave out the politics and the medichlorians, more scenes on Naboo showing the suffering of the people, and scenes between Sidious and Maul, and when the heroes return to Naboo, have there be a scene where they look in horror at a town that had been pillaged and all its townspeople dead, including women and children)
Battle at the end:
1. Make it last for over half an hour to 40 minutes, mostly focusing on the lightsaber duel
2. Actually have Darth Maul kill some people
3. Captain Typho from Episode II would be in the battle and losing one of his eyes
4. Instead of just destroying one Battleship, they got to destroy them all, and Anakin also helps in doing this
5. In the Gungan battle, when they had lost the battle, have them be executed one by one, with it being Jar Jar's turn just when the Federation is finished
6. This would probably be considered a deus ex machina, but just when all hope seemed lost in the space battle, have there be ships from the Senate coming to help that were sent by Palpatine
7. At the end of the lightsaber duel, just merely have Darth Maul be wounded, but he knocks Obi-Wan out with Force Lightning and runs away from the planet when he sees it being taken back
8. After the battle, Nute Gunray is executed, the rest stays the same
In general, make this a much darker movie that would warrant a PG-13 rating.