Posted on 3/14/12 12:44 PM
"Puss In Boots" is a movie about the title character's adventures before he met up with Shrek and the gang, but it never feels like it's in the same universe. It is a simple revenge story with wild chase sequence, suave dialogue, and great escapes. At the center of it all it is a movie about trust and loyalty.
The movie is gorgeously animated, From background to the smallest textures of fur, it is beautiful to look at. With vibrant and colorful colors. The characters movie fluidly especially in the fighting scenes and this very well choreographed dance numbers. The humans in the Shrek universe were never really pretty, but they've stepped it up on this one and gave us some really good looking human models.
Chris Miller is the director of this movie and one of the reasons why I was skeptical of the movie because he directed the worst Shrek entry, "Shrek: The Third." However, he stepped it up on this one, while still there were tone issues here and there he made this film come alive. It shows what he is capable of and that he can be a could director with a good script. The writing in "Puss In Boots" is incredibly funny never playing off of the pop-culture and toilet humor which it's predecessors are notorious for.
The characters are great and a nice addition to the universe. Puss is the same lovable smooth talking kitty we've come to love. However, he becomes more layered as a character when we learn of his past. Kitty Soft Paws, who is the female lead is also fun and the best new character. Humpty Dumpty, is a decent character, but his motives are very convoluted and his redemption feels like a cop out. Jack and Jill are fun too and provide a few good laughs as well.
The score of the movie is also good. Adding a fusion of Western and Latin styles to the movie. It is as cool as the character itself.
Overall, "Puss In Boots," is a fun movie with some great laughs. It's great how the movie took a more serious turn, but it suffers from some minor tone issue. About 65% of the jokes are blended well with the rest of the movie, the other 35% sort of takes you out of the action. Characters are great and the movie is written and director very well. I give it, a low 4/5. Great characters, fun and adventurous overall, but suffers from tone issues.