Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Movie Blogs
[left]That's right ladies and gents I'm putting out a call to put a ban on hollywood, more specifically a specific plot element I think hollywood has so painfully beaten into the ground I'm tired of seeing it.
That plot point? The thriller/horror film with the rebellious child and the step-parent/parent. Now I would never argue in a million years that getting a new step-parent is an easy thing to deal with. Having never had to go through such an experience I can only empathize with it. But as Hollywood always does they take a good concept and massacre it into the ground by PAINFULLY over using it. Let's face it, it's a tired of routine so well beaten into the ground we can recite it by heart before the movie even introduces its characters.
1) Enter parent/stepparent
2) Child/Teen says something very hurtful to parent
3) Something happens and now the two are "stuck" together in an "extreme" circumstance
4) They fight over what to do
5) Teen does something stupid against parent
6) Parent steps in at the last moment to, either physically or emotionally, save the kid.
7) Now they have a greater respect and love for each other
8) They all live happily ever after.
I'm betting right now if you went and tried you could come up with about 10-20 films that have that EXACT plot with some minor variations. It's really tiring and I'm tired of seeing it over and over and over again in these massively huge budget blockbusters.
So a message to hollywood... please stop, it's old and worn out, try something else! And no to all you writers out there, changing it to uncle or aunt or anything like that DOES NOT make it new.
0 Comments | Send This |