$5 a Day (Five Dollars a Day) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

$5 a Day (Five Dollars a Day) Reviews

December 5, 2014
Formulaic, but Walken renders it watchable.
June 9, 2014
Interesting story, but it could have been executed better.
May 11, 2014
Awkward in so many ways. It almost felt like I was watching Birdemic sometimes for some reason.
½ December 21, 2013
This was a complete waste of time.
½ April 29, 2013
Really fucking terrible
½ April 27, 2013
Pretty good. Christopher Walken made the movie. Without him, not much.
March 14, 2013
Enjoyable enough, especially if you are a Christopher Walken fan, but nothing to go out of your way to see.
½ February 25, 2013
A REALLY good road movie about a dying father and his estranged son. Christopher Walken is just so cool.
January 17, 2013
Good film that was somehow missing a deeper emotional connections between the main characters. This movie isn't unlike, plot-wise, Big Fish in that it deals with a relationship of an estranged father and son and how the son finds it hard to trust a man who, somehow, can never be truthful or honest about anything. It deals with how that relationship is fixed as they bond throughout their trip. Yet somehow, whereas Big Fish is very emotionally powerful story about a man trying to figure out his father and who he really is, this film lacks that really important aspect that made Big Fish so great. I felt no connection to the characters and their plight, despite enjoying the film. I think Christopher Walken and Alessandro Nivola are, individually, good in their roles but somehow they never truly connect. It didn't feel like a real father-son relationship. Perhaps the script fails them in that regard because, again, Christopher and Alessandro are both good and the film, while not laugh out loud hilarious, provides them with some decent comedic moments. And that's about it really, it's a solid, if mildly forgettable film, that was missing a stronger emotional core.
December 27, 2012
Charming, sometimes clever and well-acted moments are wasted in this derivative movie that DOESN'T lack heart, but DEFINITELY soul. Alessandro Nivola's performance in the indie movie Junebug was limited by the strength of the movie and the role he played (for the later, think Mark Wahlberg alongside Christian Bale in The Fighter...a decent movie but a movie made by the performance of Bale, but also Wahlberg's ability to let Bale take full stage. In Junebug, Nivola's character was designed to make room for the other characters to shine. He did a really nice job. Junebug was also a better movie, so his role became lost in the shuffle. Here we get a Nivola that is supposed to cry often, punch and kick walls and smoke a cigarette with a caustic smile in the next scene. He does a fine job again, but to say he pulls it off would be inaccurate because the impetus for his actions is so implausible and flappy that he just comes off like a loony. Walkin, for all his potential phoning it in, was also enjoyable on screen. But it's scenes like the Dean Cain one that really brought this movie down to where it always remained from it's earliest seedlings: a half idea with some nice heart and localized support. There's not much worth your time here in the end. Much of the con artist mumbo jumbo is just that, watered down, often implausible and even discriminating to the audience at times. Most notably, a scene near the end when Flynn gets into the party by pretending to be the hired help. It was completely pointless since we are never shown any resistance or potential resistance to his entry. It was a jejune nod to a thought-to-be-jejune audience at a very late stage in the film where it would be least needed. Watch this for indie shots of Atlantic City and to catch a glimpse of Christopher Walkin laughing all the way to the bank.
½ September 23, 2012
Very amusing! Haha. Had fun watching it!
August 19, 2012
Boring. Terrible. Christopher Walken is awesome.
August 19, 2012
Mildy funny little journey that's only slightly emotional.
May 27, 2012
Speaking somewhat from personal experience, there's nothing more awkward than your own father trying to get you laid. I want my parents and my sex life as far apart as humanly possible. As far as my parents are concerned, I'm a virgin until the day my first child is born. On that day, I'll show up at their doorsteps, say "Hey Mom/Dad, I'm not a virgin anymore! Would you like to meet my kid?" (Their ensuing reactions will be hilarious.)
April 3, 2012
Walken is a living legend. Brilliant in his own way.
This is actually a fun and interesting screenplay. Very comedic and memorable.
It surprised me just about every scene. A wonderfully unique and enjoyable film from beginning to end.
½ February 18, 2012
A surprisingly effective, unique, funny, and mostly well written indie dramedy. It features Christopher Walken at his best, he manages to be both eccentric, funny, and tragic all at once. It's formulaic in some of its plot devices, to be sure, but has enough charm to carry it through some of the weaker moments (Sharon Stone). Offbeat and enjoyable throughout.

3.5/5 Stars
February 1, 2012
all star cast is the road trip to end all road trips
½ November 24, 2011
A decent indie drama, and at its centre a great performance from Walken as a father to Flynn played by Alessandro nivolo, finaly making up when the son is summond on news he is dying. the problem is, walken is a petty conman who lives his life doing it, and alledged living on 5 dollers a day, some nice touches in the film and the 2 are a great watch.
½ October 9, 2011
I realized why I've liked Alessandro Nivola. He reminds me of Sam Rockwell. His role in this reminded me of a part that Sam would've played, back in the day. Then I looked on imdb and in the trivia, Sam was attached at one point. Weird stuff.
½ June 12, 2011
I loved the pink Sweet & Low car!