12 Angry Men (Twelve Angry Men) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

12 Angry Men (Twelve Angry Men) Reviews

October 18, 2016
Cinematic masterpiece.
October 15, 2016
It's got some strong qualities and had some witty dialogue, but I still fail to see how this is one of the all-time classics. I can think of SEVERAL movies I liked better than this.
October 12, 2016
Henry Fonda's best performance yet.
October 11, 2016
in your face citizen Kane
½ October 9, 2016
Movie afternoon with Iris.

Autumn afternoons are made for films like this. Perfectly acted, totally gripping and a 95-minute running time. So good it even drew 7-year old Gertie in.
½ October 9, 2016
A movie with essentially one setting ended up being very captivating!
October 1, 2016
This film is considered to be one of the greatest courtroom films ever made - and it is certainly up there among the very best.

The film is about a dissenting juror in a murder trial who slowly manages to convince the others that the case is not as obviously clear as it seemed in court. The person who begins to cast a little doubt on the case is Henry Fonda, and he gives a very good performance in the film. In fact, all of the cast are very good, and no-one is bad.

The direction from Sidney Lumet is excellent throughout while the script is very well written by Reginald Rose, which is based on a story by him, so he knows exactly what he is writing about. The script also makes the film easy to follow because as the evidence comes in to the courtroom, you know exactly what is going on.

This is one film that will definitely keep you gripped and right on the edge-of-your-seat from the start to the finish.
September 25, 2016
When you begin 12 Angry Men one thing seems clear to you: the man is guilty. You are given all of the evidence and the verdict seems clear that he MUST be guilty. However, as the film progresses the evidence that you the viewer have been given gets picked apart one by one. Thoughts you would never come up with are drawn to attention. As the film builds so does your excitement! Even though by this point you realize where the film is going, the thrill of it does not disappoint. The cry for "not guilty" is both redemptive and stirring. If only from the level of a case study, 12 Angry Men is exhilarating.

But then you begin to look at the movie as not just a script, but a film itself. The characters are rich and engaging, each and every one of them. The staging, which involves only one room, against all odds works brilliantly and is compelling. You forget that you are watching a film that has no scene changes! And the raw emotion among the men, the study of depravity and biases, all of this make for a classic film that would be a terrible shame to miss.
September 23, 2016
In a time of big budgets and complex cinematography it's a joy to see a film that captures drama in its most simple yet eloquent form.12 men locked in a room for just over 90 minutes deliberating a murder trial. Anyone would be forgiven for thinking it would be pretty simple, but it's not. All 12 actors play their roles with unbridled confidence, not one falls into the background and all of them bring a raw sense of humanity to their characters. Although the trial is the stimulus that drives the film you could spend hours discussing the relationships of the twelve men. This is what makes it an all time classic that any film buff should expose themselves too.
September 10, 2016
Even in today's society of quick camera shots and jumpcuts, this movie proves that good acting can still make an audience stay on the edge of their seats.
½ September 8, 2016
Before Law and Order, this movie showed the world that what might seem so certain, may not be the case. Amazing cast, but the real star is Lumet as he tightens the camera as the room gets smaller and hotter. Classic film.
September 6, 2016
A bonafide classic one location drama. Simply shot, with a superb ensemble cast, it is in the end an humanistic and moving film.
½ September 5, 2016
Being a film buff myself, I'd like to think I know good movies when I see them. With 12 Angry Men, all it took was a few scenes and I knew this was one of the great ones. Not only was this movie important and influential, it's also easily re-watchable. I've seen it three times now and each time I pick up on new tidbits of information and dialogue that I missed the time before. I would imagine it's not easy directing an ensemble of 12 in one small room, but Sidney Lumet managed to do it, and do it very well.

I often find crime-drama's to be my favorite genre of movies in large part because of the suspenseful aspects of that particular storytelling. While 12 Angry Men is far from a prototypical crime drama, it's certainly suspenseful. What begins as one man's doubts against 11 other men's desire to leave the courthouse as fast as possible, ends with a powerful message of prejudices and class issues. The nice thing about this particular criminal case is that at first listen, it's hard to argue with what some of the men are saying. There's definitely a grey area to this particular case, and that proves to help the development of the suspense and third-act revelations.

Perhaps even more important than the simple theme of class issues is the idea of communication, and how far a little talking can take you. As Henry Fonda nicely put it "we have a reasonable doubt, and that's something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare a man guilty unless it's sure." All of these men were under difficult conditions, considering the small room and blistering heat, but all of them also needed to understand that communicating with each other was the only way they were going to get through the night. I loved the way Lumet gracefully gave every one of the actor's their time to shine. Although Fonda was the clear star, and likely had the most lines, here, every single one of them brought their A-game.

The film also points out how easy it is to involve your own personal prejudices into cases like this. Perhaps even to some viewers it may be hard to against the grain of 11 other "angry men" and vote not guilty, but sometimes it takes more than just sitting around and waiting for someone else to step up. Sometimes you have to be the one to point out the questionable things in whatever job field or discussion you are in. Communication can be a difficult thing, but if you're willing to listen to others share their opinion, you should be willing to talk as well. But I do know one thing that can't be disputed, the greatness that is Sidney Lumet's 12 Angry Men.

½ September 3, 2016
A masterclass in direction.

I was a bit reluctant to check out this one on our trek through the IMDB Top 250 films list. It looked a little dull on the face of it, 12 guys in one room arguing about a court case. But after it was recommended to me by more than one person, I thought I'd give it a go.

The acting by all 12 is excellent, the questions asked are intriguing and make you rethink the judgements you make, and the suspense and tension is measured brilliantly throughout.

The physical 'action' as such isn't the main driver of the film, so it won't be to everyone's taste, but I found this to be a superb character piece that definitely deserves the accolades it gets.
August 27, 2016
This was such a great movie. It was so satisfying! It had me hooked from the first frame. Everyone was exceptional, every single one of the actors did an amazing job in creating their characters. The whole plot was so imaginative and fresh, it worked just fine and it was completely amazing, I was really invested in it and it kept me interested till the last minute. I'm so glad I watched this movie, I really enjoyed it, it was worth my time. I loved it!
August 20, 2016
'12 Angry Men' is a master class in the power of words.
½ August 14, 2016
amazing movie!!! with an outstanding screenplay and superb performances.
I donīt like old movies so much, but I loved every second of this one.
a must see.
August 13, 2016
I was blown away by 12 Angry Men. Lumet does a fantastic job with shot composition, with blocking, using the small intimate setting of the deliberation room to its fullest-- making it feel claustrophobic in times of extreme tension but also using every ounce of space in the room to keep the camera moving and the pace of the film as constantly engaging. He uses deep space composition excellently so as to show many jurors in shots meant to direct the audience to a particular juror. The script is one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of seeing play out on screen, providing delicious twists and turns along with real character development of these 12 men whose names we don't even get to know. The acting is fantastic all around. Each of these men plays their part brilliantly and captures the essence of the complicated characters the writers put to page. I loved this movie, and it is unquestionably one of the best films I have ever seen in my life.
½ August 3, 2016
So what makes a good movie? Excellent writing and competent actors. That's it. Great dialogue and convincing performances are the bedrock of cinema. I sometimes think most everything else is more or less expendable.

Thus, I can say with some conviction that, at least up to this date, Twelve Angry Men is my favorite movie. It has no real camera tricks, no flashy props. Just a closed room and interesting conversation.

To me, a lot of Juror #8's (Fonda) reasoning was conjecture and sometimes unconvincing, and although one can disagree with the final outcome of the film, that doesn't detract from what the film is really about.

It's an exploration of personal hangups, prejudices, impatience, and how communication shapes herd mentality and all its consequences.

The ONLY reason I don't give Twelve Angry Men a five star rating is because I found the ending a little bit rushed and intellectually unconvincing, but that's just my hangup. My dissatisfaction with the ending by no means spoils the really good performances and absorbing dialogue that make this film a masterpiece.

I look forward to the day that I view another film as enjoyable as this one.
½ August 3, 2016
It did a good job at creating tension and showing multiple viewpoints using a stellar script. This movie is full of drama and good acting. This film is based off of a play and is heavy in talking and little action, which can be dull at times. Also, what I didn't like was the fact that if this was how every court case was to be had...no one could be convicted and sometimes as a juror I do think you need to use your gut. However, if I was in court I would like for my case to be analyzed thoroughly and with as much fervor. It shows that a death penalty case or murder case needs to be reviewed very carefully and that our system despite its flaws can be used for good.