20,000 Leagues Under The Sea Reviews

• Jul 11, 2019

An extremely loyal adaptation of Jules Verne's sci-fi classic, personally produced by Walt Disney and released as one of his studio's first live-action features. It's an uneven film. The effects work has aged very well and the subject matter seems ripe for the screen, but the pace is often ponderously slow and the story's prevailing themes are awfully complex and subdued for the intended audience. The scenery is wonderful, the moments of undersea exploration remain fresh and unique, the action scenes are mesmerizing (the crew's struggle against a giant squid amidst a blinding gale is particularly memorable) but it does love to belabor a point and lingers endlessly on hollow in-between moments where it often feels like there's more meat elsewhere on the bone. Kirk Douglas probably draws the most eyeballs, thoroughly adorned in gaudy sailor gear and strumming merry melodies on a turtle shell guitar, but James Mason delivers the more interesting performance as the stern, enigmatic Captain Nemo; a bitter, broken man who still finds time to dream about the potential of a utopian society beneath the waves. I like the ideas simmering beneath the surface more than I like the film itself.

• Mar 01, 2019

This is a timeless classic pitting the advances of science with the desires of humanity . It leaves one to ponder the beauty and peacefulness of a life under the sea away from the destructive forces of men motivated by greed . James Mason plays a brilliant yet conflicted Captain Nemo. Kirk Douglas steals the scenes with his performance as an everyman sailor who shows heart and humor .

• Jan 26, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Sep 01, 2018

Ok old classic Disney movie based off the ride that I'll forget about in 2 seconds.

• Aug 24, 2018

One of the best science fiction films I've ever seen. Very good special effects, very good actors and exciting scenes. I highly recommend it (although the book is better).

• Jun 23, 2018

One of the best disney pix,great acting and very good special effects.

One of the best disney pix,great acting and very good special effects.

• Apr 14, 2018

Such an interesting experience. I have not read much Jules Verne and this movie was a great way to get in touch with his ideas. "20000 Leagues Under the Sea" is an underwater adventure, with so many great scenes. Captain Nemo is a very interesting character, a very complicated character. I don't know if his on-screen depiction does him any justice, but everything works because Captain Nemo is the way he is. I cannot fully say that this movie survives the test of time but nevertheless it is done with much passion. Can be quite dragging at times but still it's all worth it at the end.

• Dec 19, 2017

great movie that anyone would love

great movie that anyone would love

• Sep 09, 2017

Despite being a bit lengthy and not having the deepest of characters this is a sci-fi adventure film that has excellent production, solid action, a decent cast, a good score, special effects that still mostly hold up and a plot that is overall fun while also being a lot darker in tone than I expected.

• Jun 30, 2017

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: 6 out of 10: High budget Disney adventure is an entertaining if overlong adaptation of the Jules Verne classic. The movie entertains in places but struggles with seemingly endless underwater nature shots and serious lulls in the action. When the action does rear its head it is quite well done. The giant squid attack looks better than advertised and the Papua New Guina natives (actually Jamaica) are wonderfully right out of Shaka Zulu. James Mason is a magnificently brooding Captain Nemo, while Kirk Douglas is a likable as everyman Ned Land (who despite his name and disgust at eating seafood is supposed to be a first-rate sailor. And he has the annoying sea shanties and pet seal to back him up) While Mason and Douglas, despite coming across as strangely French, certainly provide good performances the rest of the cast sinks to the bottom. Paul Lukas is stiff and unbelievable as the professor and Peter Lorre is horrible miscast as Gilligan. (Okay he actually plays Conseil the professor's apprentice. He is about forty years too old to apprentice for anything. One of the cast calls him lad at one point for God's sake) Nemo's henchmen are even a bigger joke. They are dead ringers for the Batman villain henchmen from that late sixties series of the same name. (And certainly could have been the basis for those in the 1968 Batman movie) While the acting is a mixed bag it is the nature shots that kill the pacing of the film. Environmentalists will have a fit with all the coral reef stomping and turtle molesting while the rest of us who have avoided IMAX for years do to crap like this will squirm in our seats. The movie also strangely misses opportunities. For example much is made of Captain Nemo using gold for ballast cause money means nothing to him and Ned Land's attempts to steal said treasure represents the greed of the "landlubber" that is ruining our oceans blah blah blah. Towards the end of the film the captain releases the ballast and nothing is even mentioned. No Ned Land bemoaning the waste, no money shot of all that treasure falling into the depths. Nope its back to the nature photography the sea shanties and the pet seal. Yup by this time I am rooting for the giant squid.