2001: A Space Odyssey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2001: A Space Odyssey Reviews

½ February 17, 2018
A classic to say the least. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 13, 2018
Still good and relevant 50 years later.
February 8, 2018
Sorry to say because I generally like science fiction movies and because I had very high expectations for this "classic" but a sloth seems like the Warner Brothers Road Runner by comparison with this film. It's incredibly slow tempo had me wanting to pull my hair out within 20 minutes. The special effects-especially for the time period-were terrific but they don't make up for its incredibly slow pace.
½ February 7, 2018
Though I don?t necessarily like this movie, I really appreciate it. It?s incredibly well shot, amazingly acted and just every detail is in line that I enjoy the technical aspect more than the enjoyment and story aspect
½ February 7, 2018
(93/100)
Stanley YOU ARE MY HERO!!
February 4, 2018
Stunning to watch and a lot to think about too. A masterpiece of sci-fi fiction and film making.
January 21, 2018
What happens when the greatest director of all time makes his masterpiece. It's called 2001: A Space Odyssey This film was released almost 50 years ago and it still stand as one of the greatest films ever made. As Roger Ebert said about 2001 " Alone among science-fiction movies, "2001" is not concerned with thrilling us, but with inspiring our awe." This is the most influential science-fiction film of all time. It gives you an experience that is so unique that no other film might ever be about to top it. The visual effects still stand up so well that it is astonishing and I have never watched something where the score of the film adds so so much to it that it makes every moment so much more impactful and add beauty to every scene. That being said the film does lack a bit with a slow pace and it might get a bit annoying that you start asking yourself why is the scene is still going on for so long but by the end it comes back and pays it off in a very satisfying way. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a look into what mankind and humanity is and it explores that theme as such a stunning visual work of art that is so hard not to give this a 5/5 it's a absolute masterpiece that will forever be cemented in cinematic history.
January 11, 2018
Kubrick beyond space and time
January 10, 2018
Best movie of all time.
January 9, 2018
Maybe I don't understand it but I felt like I was watching this movie for 15 years. It literally moves slower than a snail. One of the only movies I have ever fallen asleep on and yet woke up in the same exact spot. Almost like it paused itself while I was asleep and started back up upon waking. It totally confused me and really left me wondering what on earth does it mean. I guess you probably should take some kind of psychedelic prior to investing in a movie like this. perhaps with your third eye open it will make sense. The giant I Pod was probably the best part or the ending credits..I wouldn't invest my time to watching it again, unless of course I have insomnia. Totally a cure all to insomnia. Don't waste your time if you have things to do.
January 6, 2018
"2001" transcends the use of the cinematic medium for more of a visceral experience compared to your regular story-on-film event. For every level of consciousness and essence exists a potential being. Who or what that being becomes, and at what rate they develop, depend solely on where they are in the universe. Within the deepest depths of the particles between our cells is the very foundation of consciousness, that which we call the soul (or the divine). And the soul never dies, but instead travels in miniscule photon capsules through the galaxy and into depths of empty space, forming their own magnetic fields. Thus these particles of consciousness are reborn into the stars that shine our sky. Now if you think such a level of thought is this complicated to comprehend in a few sentences, imagine the depths of exploring each frame in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, and that's how mind boggling this journey we call life really is! It is why it endures as the greatest science-fiction concept of all time, as well as the greatest essay on philosophy, and of course the greatest motion picture ever made.

Kubrick is such a skilled craftsman of building up, then stripping away; a chess player in every since, strategizing moves, taming temptations to act hastily in order to achieve the most winning, precise result. There is plenty of imagination here, but he's not so interested in the mythology as he is the experience. While Clarke would go on to build up the backstory of the monoliths, Kubrick did everything he could to tell no story. We know a few things that are apparent and need no explanation. First, it's an object of design, it's symmetry the product of intelligence. Already this intrigues primitive man. And second, it has sailed through and touched the fabric of space. How far and how deep is up to us, but we're led to believe it's a gateway into the beyond, in which limitless potential seems to await. In this case, it seems that the monolith has brought the light of creation and possibility to evolve the lesser minded. Whatever else this shape is does not generate as much interest as our interpretation of it's mystery. Every measure Kubrick took was to ensure that this remain entirely experiential, a legitimate odyssey that the viewer is taking firsthand, not a conventional plot-heavy narrative.

It is also an exercise in tedium, because despite all our lavish fantasies, that is the nature of space travel and dealing with AI as your superior. Long drawn out beeps, flashing signs, ships crawling through space from one end to the other, astronauts operating, primates being, deprogramming HAL; almost every aspect of the film seems stretched to the threshold of viewer tolerance, if not slightly beyond it (as is Stargate's literal function). Once the viewer becomes comfortable knowing this is a meditation, that major plot points will be sparse and put on hold while we sit with and contemplate the nature of things, transcendence occurs moment to moment, and it's unlike anything in any film before or after it.

It is still a movie, there are narrative threads, it's not so experiential that it's an amusement park attraction, a film for a motion ride or anything like that. But those experiences could never match the kind of trip 2001 is, without moving seats and the illusion that you're flying inside of it. What happens to various parts of the brain during 2001 is what one might experience during meditation, chanting, even psychedelics. Emotional, spiritual, and intellectual areas of the brain are stimulated at different points, but as we get into the Stargate, it almost seems encoded to merge them all together through a kind of euphoria one couldn't experience with drugs. And it is encoded, there are paintings going by us through slit scan that we are only subconsciously aware of; we're not quite sure what we're looking at - is this a recreation of the universe? Or a replay? A creation of a new universe exclusive to Dave Bowman? Just some way for alien beings to communicate? We ask a thousand questions and are left with no answers, which keep those parts of the brain active long after viewing. We don't have a dumb explanation to dumb us down and reduce our curiosity about things outside of the movie. For that alone, I'd prescribe this film as a healthy occasional activity. The only thing encoded is mind expansion, curiosity, hypnosis to imagine further, deeper. If we can't let ourselves get there, it's our loss.

We talk about symmetrical form being the leading idea behind the monoliths and driving the next step in evolution. This idea is threaded when we get to the Stargate and see the only other foreign symmetrical form: tetrahedrons projecting their own mirror Stargate in each triangular face. This is the only form between the purely abstract clouds that have been shaping and the formation of land, which begins as a stretched flat plane going over the top of Bowman's vision. After the colorful land journey, we arrive at something familiar, yet obviously foreign, perhaps created by the intelligent beings to make whatever Dave is about to experience easier. It's baroque, refined, compulsively neat and clean. Meanwhile, Dave goes through a relatively fast aging process, and seems to see himself at each next stage before the previous disappears. Kubrick has us completely gripped with intrigue, it feels like the answers to everything life has to provide are here. When we see the third Bowman come back to look for the second, it's like he senses an echo of his own ghostly past standing there, which it seems like it had been. The journey takes us so that one and two may seem like just a time lapse, but two seems to see three by the cut back to him... enter the fourth dying man, and now we see there are two at a time as three and four are framed together. They are echoes through time, and time is moving fast all around him while he's in a suspended state. He comes to death, and the monolith reveals itself to him. He is reborn as the Star Child. We move into the black of the monolith, and we are back home near Earth, but soaring above it omnipotently. Is this a transition, or are we literally traveling into the monolith, in which our solar system is a mere microcosm of whatever this place represents. Is it that Dave is larger than life now? As big as the Sun, or bigger? Perhaps everything in this room is huge, and Dave has truly transcended to the level of a star. The magnificent effect, with Wagner's recurring score, has certainly transcended us. The film itself, like the monolith (some have indicated the film is the monolith, indicated by the lack of visuals during the overture, making it a horizontal black bar), has inspired us to seek higher and evolve.
January 5, 2018
A sci fi classic, but I found it annoying in places. It felt heavy-handed (rather than mysterious) about staying enigmatic during some scenes. The Hal subplot and arc alone are worth watching. It still gets me, even today.
January 4, 2018
2001 a Space Odyssey is not only a great looking movie but also does a great job displaying it`s themes and hidden meanings. This is a movie you have to pay attention to. It`s a film where even the slightest things like characters breathing matters. By the end of the film your jaw will be open as this is one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time.
December 23, 2017
M-F-O

9.3

[Stanley Kubrick]
December 21, 2017
Mind-blowing final 20 minutes.
December 19, 2017
One of the greatest films of all time. 2001: A Space Odyssey is visual poetry. The heart of the medium of film is images which are often forgotten in many movies. This is quite possibly the most visual film of all time. Of course, Kubrick's direction is immaculate, and none of the effects have aged a day. Would one expect anything less from Hollywood's most prolific perfectionist? Kubrick conjures up iconic and unforgettable images (i.e., the monolith, HAL 9000, going through the wormhole, the star child) that tell the entirety of the story. The film isn't concerned with its characters. The performances are purposefully reserved and robotic in fact the only interesting character is HAL 9000 who is not even human yet displays the most human characteristics in the movie. 2001 instead focuses on the broader implications that space travel and evolution has on the human species as a whole. The film is also perhaps one of the most cryptic of all time. Almost all of its important questions are left unanswered, and many scenes are left open to interpretation. 2001 is again like poetry in that nothing is concrete and the audience must come away with their own meaning. 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the most visually stunning, influential and studied films in cinema history. Without a doubt, it is a perfect film. 5/5
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Un film que trascenderá por los siglos de los siglos en la ciencia ficción. Con profundidad filosófica de una compleja trama e increíble destreza cinematográfica.
December 18, 2017
??? ?????????????????????????????????????
December 13, 2017
Odyssey is a film that elevates. It is one of those films that questions our role in the whole cosmos of the universe not just our Earth. It does not seek to answer the questions it poses yet it does provide us an interpretation of how and why we are here and the meaning of our very existence. It is definitely a film that dares to reach for the stars and conquer the unconquerable. This is Kubrick at his most epic, visually dazzling with space sequences that is the best I've even seen on film, "2001" packs a punch through its dazzling effects, music, cinematography, art design and a thought provoking premise.