2001: A Space Odyssey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2001: A Space Odyssey Reviews

July 22, 2018
Space Odyssey is arguably the greatest film in history. This space adventure presents you with a thrilling and thought provoking storyline contained with stunning visuals. The vague and mysterious presentation of the film will aloow each viewer to find beauty in it in their own way. 2001 Is intelligent, entertaining, and beautiful. A true ageless unforgettable masterpiece.
July 22, 2018
It's intresting place to be in to watch a film that you have never seen, yet have seen it's effects on films that you've experienced throughout your life. And while you may very well feel the effects of 2001 today, there's nothing quite like it, nor do I suspect nothing will quite be like it again.

The film encapsulates the nature of man. Where we've been, where we are, and where we are going. It's execution, which is slow, methodical, beautiful, and bland, is what set's it apart and makes it one of the most transcendent experiences I've witnessed in visual story telling.??The film doesn't tell you what the future is, it doesn't engross you in some dystopian story of the future either, it let's you simply be in the future and experience it first hand.

It's story is open and up for interpretation.

And that's what makes it special.
I can't wait for my second viewing.
July 21, 2018
2001 is quite simply one of the finest movies ever made. I could go on about the art, the music, the meaning, etc. But you either "get it" or you don't. If you're one of the people who "get it", hang onto your hat'. You're in for an incredible trip, or, as the movie poster says, "the ultimate trip".
The movie does not seem dated, especially amazing in that there is no CGI. Everything is done in the real world. What's more important is that modern audiences leave the theater (or their TVs) asking the same question: What does the ending mean?
Unlike today's sci fi movies, which are most ofter shoot-em-up westerns set in space, 2001 is a thinking persons' movie. There are no light sabres, lasers, monsters, or hero that saves the girl or the world, or both. There's only the beauty of space, the psycho computer, the classical music, and a possible answer to the question, "Are we alone?" And the answer is, "There are beings out there who want to see humanity succeed."
July 19, 2018
I know it is sacrilegious to say something bad about a beloved and highly rated classic, but I might be committing that cardinal sin- I found this film to be a bore. I can totally understand the reasons behind its stature and back in 1068 this would have been epic, but I found the scenes going on and on forever. The final segment with the astronaut flying across space and time seemed as through the director found a cool visual tempo and just ran with it for 15 minutes. Also, please spare me the philosophical musings.
July 19, 2018
I really liked the story / characters are very good. I just have to criticize the fact that it has a very dead story, the fact that it happens in 2001 (we are in 2018 and it is still not possible to happen fair odysseys to these) and the fact that it has a very comical story (it is necessary to see several times to be understood). I recommend.
July 12, 2018
What is wrong with people? Yes it may have been groundbreaking for the time and some of the special effects must have truly been astounding but that does not make up for the complete lack of a coherent story. From 30 minutes to about the 2 hour mark there seems to be a story but this is then bookended by utter gibberish which leaves everyone wondering what they have just seen. I am one for a bit of ambiguity but this is ridiculous.
July 10, 2018
There isn't much to be said that hasn't been before. This is one of the greatest films ever made and the special effects work still holds up to todays standards.
½ July 4, 2018
What can I say about a film which is often considered the greatest ever made? 2001 was a breakthrough in technology, theme and content and is quite possible the finest science fiction movie ever made. To think that this movie inspired everything from Star Wars to Alien and Close Encounters.... science fiction owes a huge debt to Stanley Kubrick and 2001. If you haven't already then please go and watch this film. You won't notice the almost 3-hour runtime I can assure you that much.
½ June 26, 2018
I should have left during the Intermission.
June 24, 2018
Amazing,absolutely amazing,includes one of the best murder scenes ever.
½ June 24, 2018
It put me in a hypnotic trance that explores the depths of humanity and the universe no other film has
June 21, 2018
A film infinitely as pleased with itself as the rest of the world is, Kubrick lets shots and scenes linger far too long in obvious narcissism for his own art. And well it is truly magnificent and awe-inspiring a good amount of the time, Kubrick's cold touch leaves his characters and ambition woefully underdeveloped. Could've lost another 20 minutes in the cutting room.
June 21, 2018
No one depicts space travel, its excitements and uncertainties, better than Stanley Kubrick. This film also did a great job in exploring the greatness as well as insignificance of mankind.
June 19, 2018
really like this movie.
June 19, 2018
There are 7 reviewers that have some 'splainin' to do. Who doesn't love one of the most transformational films of all time?!? From the neanderthals to the space explorers of the future, Kubrick's masterpiece is visually stunning and intellectually challenging. Existential, dramatic, strange, and wonderful. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.
June 18, 2018
Say what you want about the interpretation of how 2001: A Space Odyssey ended. The fact is, this film is one of the most beautifully shot films ever. Such great care was taken by director Stanley Kubrick to envelope the viewer visually. He perfectly slows the pace down so that the viewer actually feels the slow pace of operating in space. It is a flawlessly made story-telling film. Oh, and it does so over 2.5 hours with very little dialogue. Oh, oh...and he does it with 1968 special effects technology. As I was watching the last 30 minutes, I was as mind-f*cked as every other viewer. However, realizing it was Kubrick and mind-f*cking comes with the territory, I began to attempt at interpreting what those last minutes meant within the context of the film. At first glance, I was convinced that humans were lab rats in a larger experimentation by a more evolved race. When I read interpretations by others, I saw that many others thought elements of that as well, but wrapped around much larger explanations, such as using the monolith's appearances to symbolize places in time that the experimenters used to force evolution of our species. First, with the monkeys grasping tools and using them to first murder, then eventually evolve. Second, with the astronauts on the moon when the monolith signals to Jupiter that "they made it to the moon...they are coming!". Third, when they reach Jupiter and the higher race begins assessing the final product that has arrived. They find that they've gone from apes with tools to creating tools like HAL that, at the end, acted with more emotion, feeling, jealousy, etc than the seemingly cold, robotic humans. The aliens, seeing the flaws of that development, then proceed to fast-track the extinction of man, as witnessed in the time warp of Dave's life resulting in the 4th and final appearance of the monolith, resulting in a restart of the race in the form of the embryonic child going back to Earth. Unfortunately, neither Kubrick or Clarke would ever state for sure what it meant. Either way, the film was so visually stunning and intellectually stimulating, there isn't any question that it is one of the most incredible films ever made.
½ June 11, 2018
first rendition of subjective a.i. oriented sci-fi screenplay, challenging and ahead of its time.
June 11, 2018
You just have to see it. Yes it's slow and ambiguous at times, but you will leave the theater totally in awe. It's still relevant to our relationship with technology, and downright amazing for the time it was made.
June 9, 2018
This is the greatest film ever made, I'm pretty sure it's not even subjective at this point.
June 5, 2018
A true classic,! Kubrick actually help write the script , so there is many a memorable moments;. Star Trek and Star Wars owe a great debt to this film, the ship and technical design of the film laid the foundation to the Enterprise and the Millennium Falcon.