2001: A Space Odyssey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2001: A Space Odyssey Reviews

½ March 11, 2017
The ultimate sci-fi. The birth and death of man, the odyssey of man, the evolution of man? Or creator vs creation, rational vs chaotic, birth vs death, man vs machine? I kind of disliked this movie, like, it was meant to be admired and pondered and pave the way for sci-fi's, but not necessarily enjoyed. The effects were amazing for the time, heck the visuals are amazing even today, although the sound effects were annoying, though extremely effective. The music was epic. The pacing was very slow but the tone was heavy and mysterious. Extremely ambiguous story. Kubrick put an incredible amount of thought and detail and precision in this kind of long classic sci-fi epic. Less of a movie and more like philosophical art, almost pretentious.
March 5, 2017
Incredibly articulate practical effects. Mind-blowing for the year it was filmed. Kubrick out did himself with imagination and creativity. He created this amazing new beautiful world, and you can get lost in it, if you let yourself.
½ February 25, 2017
such a boooooooring movie!
½ February 25, 2017
While it succeeds from a visual standpoint, it fails as a drama to almost boredom and who knows what he is trying to say from a philosophical standpoint.
February 23, 2017
Blew my damn mind. Wowie
February 22, 2017
The best Sci-Fi movie ever made!
February 21, 2017
A sci-fi classic for sure! But I personally found it boring, even though I found the Dawn of Man sequence one of the best scenes in Cinema history! I had to give this movie 5 stars because of what it did for cinema! If you like sci-fi films like me, its a must but don't expect a Star Wars like film!
February 21, 2017
Grade - C+
2001: A Space Odyssey is not a film I can say I totally comprehend. I have an understanding of what's happening on screen, and an idea as to what it all means, but that's all. I watched another film recently which left me with the same feeling, and that was Mulholland Drive. However, the difference between 2001 and Mulholland Drive is that in this I was actually engaged in the proceedings, rather than uninterested. I believe the film has flaws, although some may consider these to be strengths. For example: the movie is a masterclass of slow, and whilst this sometimes works in its favour, more often than not it just makes the film drag. As well as this, the film is a puzzle that you have to piece together yourself without hardly any indication as to whether you're putting the pieces in the right order and actually creating the picture that Kubrick had when making the movie. For me, I can never tell whether it's genius, or just lazy screenwriting. Another problem is that the movie hasn't got any characters, which means it hard to feel invested in what's happening on screen. And as I said, at least 45 minutes could be cut from this thing and nothing would be lost. One thing that is certain however is that the movie's a visual masterpiece. The effects aren't miles away from the ones seen in Star Wars, and that movie was made a whole 10 years later. In my opinion, the movie works best when there's actual dialogue, as this is well written and fairly engaging. The movie could be greatly improved if space scenes were cut down so they didn't drag, and the ending, and movie in general, were explained a little better, to give us a bit more to go on, and some actual characters added. That aside though, I feel that 2001 is a flawed, yet ultimately rewarding cinematic experience that should be seen, even if not approved of, by everyone.
February 15, 2017
An epic exercise in seeking the unknown, and accepting the unknowable.

The notorious monolith, for instance, is like God. Even in the midst of technology advancing beyond anything before, it is a constant; it never changes. It always challenges, and every time that simple creatures seek to understand or conquer it, they're met with confusion and failure.

On a cinematic level, this is a film with more vision than anything before or after. Stanley Kubrick's finest work of his career, and a landmark that has bred generations of dreamers and filmmakers.
½ February 13, 2017
Even though I don't believe in evolution and that we originated from Apes I understand the message Kubrick was going for. I believe that we do evolve in certain ways but we do not come from apes. But it is truly amazing that this film came out in 1968. It is the most influential Sci-fi film of all time. It is so before it's time and hasn't aged a day. The score and set pieces are also some of the best you will ever see. I'm still not sure how he pulled a lot of them off. Hal 9000 is one of the best villains in cinematic history. Their is no better cinematography in film. The problems I have with this film is their is a lack of plot and I get what he was going for with the slow pace but I still think he dragged it out. A lot of sequences are just way too long. But everyone about this film has already been said. It is a film everyone should watch at least once.
February 12, 2017
Kubrik masterpiece. Defined the next 30 years of science fiction (Star Wars redefined cinema but is not really science fiction. It's fantasy).
February 4, 2017
Immaculate score, and incredibly visual for a film made in the 60's. Acted well enough, a plot that is interesting but a little confusing at the first viewing. Easily can be considered a masterpiece, the last 15 minutes was strange but fascinating in the sense of viewing something greater
½ January 26, 2017
A masterpiece in its own right, 2001 is a sharp, cinematic film that drags itself out and fails to stay engaging for the duration.
January 24, 2017
In my opinion, the greatest film by the most consistently thrilling director of all time
January 23, 2017
Sometimes it is amazing Sometimes it is boring
½ January 22, 2017
Master-piece. Period.
½ January 19, 2017
A visual spectacle and dramatically deep, 2001: A Space Odyssey is truly a classic.
January 17, 2017
When you understand it, it will blow your mind.
½ January 12, 2017
It is a highly praised movie but thats all wrong its a highly praised piece of art. It tells the future, most of our tech is influenced by this movie. But as a movie it so long and has no drama or no interesting story, still acting and all that. Its boring. It's nice to see but It's not nice to watch.
January 11, 2017
This Is My Favorite Science Fiction Film Of All Time And Also My Favorite Stanley Kubrick Film Of All Time.