2001: A Space Odyssey Reviews

• 2h ago

Hi there everyone! This is the first of many reviews I will make. I hope you will get to know me and my reviews. And maybe, what I write can get you to watch a great movie! 2001: A Space Odyssey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So great, so, so great. I really love sci-fi, space movies, and mindbenders. But above all others this one is at the very top of my list. When it comes to the age old desert island movie question, yep. This one'd be my pick. Not only was it great for its time. But its classic, timeless feel makes it still hold up today. First of all, it is important to note how impressive this movie was, and IS. This influenced countless space, and sci-fi movies, beyond what most people might assume. I was amazed to find out that most people I knew, had never even heard of the movie. This is unfortunate, seeing how this really is, a great movie. If there was a list of most advanced movies of their time. This one would be the winner, in my books. Using incredibly advanced technology of the time, this movie shot scenes on the moon, before humans had made their mark on it. This movie, among man things, is an achievement, as it showed how much could be done with special effects at the time. Not just special effects though, this movie shines as well, in editing, directing, music (shown off by incredibly matched scenes of space), realism (an early critic wrote on its unrealism, then after the moon landing, changed their statement, saying it was much more realistic than they had thought), and meaning. The movie has its basic layer of story, computer goes crazy against humans, and they must find a way to stop it, but also lays things out in front of you, just to think about, like the evolution of the human race, and whether or not technology has been good or not. This movie is one of the ones I think to, when someone says that movies are unintelligent, or do nothing for your brain. I do not believe this to be true, as this movie illustrates, a great movie, which requires you to really pay attention and focus on what is really happening, then you will be using your brain, far more than most people tend to think. This movie requires your attention to be appreciated and understood. I imagine this is also a good test of patience, as this movie does progress slowly, but is absolutely worth it. I hope you enjoy! [Read below for a mind blowing fact] SPOILER ALERT!!!!! Do not read the following message, until you have finished the movie! SPOILER ALERT!!!!! HAL 9000. The computer that both everyone, and no one wants. The most advanced technology humans have (fictionally) ever created. A key component of the movie. But have you thought about what HAL means? So ya, technology, and in particular, humanity's battle against it, but there's more. If you take the letters of HAL, H-A-L, and move each letter to the proceeding character in the alphabet, you get...IBM, yep, IBM. The computer company. Think about that, the villain was just a symbol for a very real (and for those of you who didn't know, which don't worry, included me) company. WOW!!!!!!!! Thank you for reading!

• Apr 07, 2021

One of the most important influential films of all time; the godfather of modern sci-fi. It's a slow burn, you just have to let this film wash over you and get immersed in the atmosphere. Its was way ahead of its time exploring our evolution and precarious relationship with technology. Amazingly, the effects still hold up today. A must watch for any cinema fan for its cultural impact alone.

• Mar 31, 2021

2001 is visually fantastic but emotionally empty. It is a cold and distant movie. Stanley Kubrick was a visual artist. This is why 2001 is an experience to watch. However some scenes drags too long such as one of the character does video call . This scene take about 2 mins. It adds absolutely nothing to the plot. if removed, nobody would notice its absence. Some of the dialogues are awfully wooden. It is a torture to watch

• Mar 16, 2021

Masterpiece? MASTERPIECE?!! Like so many reviewers have already written: this "film" is the most overrated, overhyped and pretentious piece of "cinema" in the history of motion picture. There is no better treatment for insomnia. I tried to watch it once. I skipped about 80% and it still seemed too long. But saying you don't like this "masterpiece", this "legendary, historical, groundbreaking film" is a heresy. Have you seen the images when people were taking photos of a pair of glasses which had been put on the floor of an art gallery just to mess with the visitors? And they all believed it was "art"? This is exactly the same, but on a much bigger scale.

• Mar 12, 2021

The futuristic scenarios are simply beautiful. But the movie is very slow (even though it's intended).

• Feb 16, 2021

I think the plot is great. However, there is way too much filler and the plot isn't really resolved. The first 20 minutes are literally just footage of monkeys.

• Feb 13, 2021

The genius of Kubrick is that one can watch this movie every few years and gain new perspective on the timeline of human experience. 2001 A Space Odyssey ranks as a must see film for any person curious about evolution, science and art.

• Feb 10, 2021

To the limits of our universe, one of the best analysis on the human mentality. One of the best fill ever made.

• Feb 07, 2021

The best sci-fi movie ever made.

The best sci-fi movie ever made.

• Feb 05, 2021

I absolutely love this movie, the music, the cinematography, the effects are just absolutely stunning. the story is very creative and open-minded, there are many different perceptions of the movie's plot which opens theories that add more possibilities to discover the real plot. But in conclusion, I highly recommend this movie, it is filled with adventure through space, and the discovery of the creation of life, aliens, and the creation of this universe itself. 10/10