10,000 B.C. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10,000 B.C. Reviews

½ August 30, 2015
This movie was pretty horrible. The visuals were fantastic and it was an interesting idea, but the story was lame and generic and it was historically inaccurate. The voices were annoying and there were no stand out performances, I feel like even the director has the intelligence of a caveman.
July 17, 2015
10,000 B.C. is about a cavemen and Native American tribes unite to kill the pharaoh.

REVIEW: Okay for the record cavemen, Native Americans, Saber Toothed Tigers, and Egyptians DID NOT roam the Earth at the same time. This was not historically accurate at all. Not saying the writer is stupid, but even a 2nd grader could have gotten this right. The narrative dialogue is horrible, I can't imagine anything worse. The average 11 year old might like it but other than that no one else.

D
July 13, 2015
2014/02/24: This movie surprised me a bit. Thought it would be a bust but it actually entertained me a bit. Good story, some neat characters. Loyalty. Nasty ostriches and a very underused sabre tooth cat. Definitely worth a one watch.
July 13, 2015
Still rather confused how you can go from ice 3 foot deep to a rainforest within a few miles!
July 12, 2015
Walking with prehistoric beasts meets Pocahontas
July 7, 2015
Some years ago, when i was in primary school i felt facinated by the prehistoric times and the life of mans and womens of that time. Nothing was as it's today, nowadays there are only a few evidence of that civilization.

When i knew in 2008 that was released a film about prehistory, i wasn't very interested, but i wanted to see it. It was going to be directed and written by Roland Emmerich, at that time I didn't know who was him.

The first time i saw the picture, i believe in all, although i found the story a little weird and at times ridiculous, nothing seemed really bad to me. I was 9 years, for me every movie with a scene of war was good.

Now, i know that Mr. Emmerich is a very bad director and this is maybe his worst work.

10,000 B.C is horrible, the script tell us the tipical silly romantic story, but in a different period. We see man cultivating the ground, highly organized civilizations, the pyramid of Djoser, man on horseback and man working the iron, you don't need to be over-fussy to realize that these things never took place 8,000 years before Christ.

The initial scene is so poor, the landscape is similar to what you see on the countrysite, I'm not saying that we should see volcanoes erupting or things like that, but it was so difficult to make the earth a bit more hostile or different with the aid of special effects?

The main performances are totally lazy, Steven Strait as D'Leh, a kind of not evolved human with the ugliest name of the history and Camilla Belle as Evolet, the typical virgin, beautiful and innocent girl that fears to the world.

Ok, maybe you could enjoy the scene of the last battle because is well filmed and there's a lot of people and blood and elephants, but this movie is not recommended at all. One more thing, if you know a lot of B.C period don't see it , probably you end up hating cinema.
½ May 31, 2015
Not only it is bad but it even ranks in some of the worst bad movies ever made
May 29, 2015
it's apocalypto in the bc era. and les graphic.
½ May 18, 2015
Poor acting but some spectacular footage. What kept this film from being a half-decent B-flick was the dumb and preposterous plot that tried to come off as completely serious and plausible.
May 16, 2015
Pretty much what I expected from Roland Emmerich considering Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow sucked so bad and were completely ridiculous. It's obvious the writers did no research in the making of this film. This would have been more interesting if it was actual fact like Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. Instead, this film is dull, stupid, and I lost interest after fifteen minutes...this is one I'll be adding to my Worst Films of 2008 list.
½ May 6, 2015
Oh, Roland Emmerich, now i know exactly what's wrong with this movie...
April 11, 2015
Absolutely love this movie
½ March 20, 2015
from the director of "2012" I found this to be just ok
½ March 16, 2015
D. The film lacks of purpose or interest
½ March 15, 2015
Just as awful as the reviews made it out to be. It surprises me that anyone with any sliver of intelligence would put money into this pile of garbage that concentrates on boring predictable actions scenes and little else.
½ March 7, 2015
D'Leh: "He is not a god!"

This movie is pretty underrated. It has a pretty smooth story line, the actors are great, and overall it is a fun and exciting movie.
½ March 5, 2015
Roland Emmerich has this strange effect on me. I am absolutely aware of the low quality of his movies, yet on a rainy night under my duvet on my own I love to watch his movies.
They lack coherence in every sense of the word, push women to more than marginal roles, have a great degree of fighting in it, the good guys always win and tend to be typically feel-good movie.
10.000 BC however, doesn't even feel as epic as other Emmerich movies. Its cast and its production are scraping the B-grade side of movies, and I just stumbled upon it by chance.

Summary (Spoilers!): A group of neolithic snowy-mountain people with no knowledge of agriculture or even stone carving manages to survive by hunting a yearly pack of mammoths in the snow. There doesn't seem to be a tree in sight nor other animals. Even the population is mixed between visibly black, asian, polynesian and white people, where the whites will of course be the protagonists.
Yet when a band of horse-riding semitic looking warriors with knowledge of metallurgy raid their "village" to take its people as slaves, four of them manage to cross the mountains, follow the raiders through what appears to be a tropical jungle infested with Velociraptor/Moa meat-eating cross-breeds, to finally end up in a Savannah like place inhabited by sub-saharian tribes, finally to a sand desert crossed by a river into what looks to be Egypt.
To this day, I have seen this movie four times and I still have no idea what route they took and how they managed to cross so many types of terrain in what seems to be a few weeks.
Anyway, Pyramids and temples seem to be built by slaves for ONE "God", which is portrayed as a two meter-tall white man who comes from Atlantis (there is a map showing the outline of Europe, Africa and South America, with a tiny non-existent island in the middle of the Atlantic. Hint hint, Nudge nudge Roland?
The slaves follow the protagonist's rebellion, kill the masters, and everybody's happy, because the spirit of the mammoth has given back the life of the temporarily dead white female protagonist, in her total uselessness in the movie, aside from being the male protagonist's love interest.

Pros: Fun to watch, some pretty cool scenes, "big numbers" scenes with many people armed with spears. The CGI is not too bad for the time too. Feel good ending and fun weird made-up languages.

Cons: Stupid story, no coherence whatsoever, terrible voice acting by pretty much everyone, with their stupid made up accents to sound more neolithic. Even if it was to be considered a super ignorant movie, ignorant movies tend to have the token super-hottie to look at, at least. This doesn't even deliver on that.

All in all fun to watch if you're drunk/high, and like many other Emmerich movies, if you don't pay attention to the details.
I do, unfortunately.
March 1, 2015
I remember seeing the trailer for this when I was 11/12 years old. I thought is was going to be a solid action flick, but I was wrong when I saw it on DVD. It could of been a masterpiece if the directing, acting, script, and historical accuracy was done right. Roland Emmerich would not be my first choice to direct this. If I would choose a director, I would pick either Peter Jackson or Ridley Scott.
February 16, 2015
Great movie. Really enjoyed this one.
February 13, 2015
THE ABYSS STARES BACK... I CAN SEE BEYOND... DEATH IS THE ONLY REALITY NOW.