The Brave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brave Reviews

April 3, 2016
Maybe it's a good thing Depp didn't direct anything else, but it does lack a lot in sense and/or direction (not necessarily a director's direction).
February 17, 2015
Bad. Teenage boy fantasy of a 'cool edgy film.' A mix of hyper-Lynchian atmosphere and "Kooky Weirdness (R)" mixed with overly sentimental god-bless bs. Cut the cheesy sex scene, cut the mystical father, cut the drug dealer friend, cut some of the corny music-- y'know, cut like an hour out-- focus on how much of a loser this guy is to his family and his pact with Brando as his redemption... woulda been like 80x better.
That said, Brando was definitely the best part of the film. Apparently he improvised the thing too.
July 16, 2013
Johnny Depp's directorial debut is a bit heavy-handed and awkward in places. A literally very dark adaptation of a Gregory McDonald novel-the director of photography needs to get away from silhouette shots and filming in the dark-leaves your eyes straining to follow the story. The material in itself is good, but self-indulgent and slow direction moves this film into the realm of the laborious. One of Marlon Brando's last films.
May 27, 2013
not bad but to slow for me.
December 27, 2012
I really wanna see this!
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
½ November 11, 2012
Interesting concept with a direction I did not expect. A big letdown though.
October 23, 2012
The Brave is actor Johnny Depp's debut film as a director and while the film is flawed in many ways it must be said that it is a pretty decent attempt, Depp who became a household name in the late 80's and early 90's directs and stars in a tale about a Native American man who is willing to go to very extreme lengths to provide for his family. Based on a novel that has a similar story Depp's first attempt at directing isn't a bad one but it is clear that there is significant room for improvement as the film goes on for far too long and it is also a bit slow to start however the second half of the film is extremely powerful and the ever consistent Depp is magnificent in the starring role.

Raphael is a native American man who lives in a slum-junkyard neighborhood with his wife and two children and he makes a little money be selling scrap items that he finds in the rubbish. When Raphael is offered a substantial amount of money to appear in a snuff film that would leave his family with a modest home and enough spare cash to get by for a while he agrees to do it and he is then given a week to live before appearing in the film. Raphael decides that he will spend a small portion of his cash on gifts for his wife and kids so he can have one last week of peace and joy with the family he loves.

The Brave is by no means a masterpiece in fact it is far off it as the film's narrative is pretty weak between the first and final sequences and it definitely runs far too long for it's own good but Depp plays the character of Raphael with such passion and heart and he clearly shows that there are a lot of things he would do for family by making a film of this like and he is as good as usual in this one. That the film was so widely panned by critics at the Cannes Festival will remain a mystery to me because while it has it's faults there are much worse films out there.
October 21, 2012
A dark and disturbing vision of native american poverty colliding with market forces and racist greed.
October 9, 2012
I really wanted to watch this film but couldn't find it for many years... Now i did see it and boy was it worth the wait! It's a very beautiful film, filled with many ideas, visual wonders & a haunting Johnny Depp! The cast is awesome, Brando is bringing some acting masterness in his short cameo. A really good film. Too Bad Depp hasn't directed any other films, he's got a lot to say....
October 8, 2012
Someone let me know when they release this in the states.
½ September 14, 2012
I expected something exciting.. it was anything but!
June 13, 2012
might see this some day just cause of johnny
April 17, 2012
this was a good movie. at first i thought it was kind of slow, but i ended up really enjoying it. johnny did a good job directing as well as writing. the story was touching, and emotional. i enjoyed it.
April 2, 2012
Dark, slow, poignant, banned in the US. Watch it and you'll find out why.
February 16, 2012
it's Johnny Depp. i'm sold.
½ January 9, 2012
Very slow, and not much happens. Is it terrible, that I kept waiting to see what he actually had to do to earn the rest of his $ (the description above explains more than the movie does- ha!)-? Sometimes scenes and transitions felt so freaking fake that I had to laugh, but there were a few beautiful dusty, sweeping scenes. Also, how cheesy was that appearance by Iggy Pop. I'm glad I FINALLY got my hands on a copy of this movie, after wondering about it for years (Thanks Domy Books)
July 16, 2011
really, really loved the movie... the actors do a perfect job and the story is just blowing your mind...and so sad...
June 5, 2011