The Brave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brave Reviews

October 25, 2009
El final es malísimo, le resté una estrella por eso (?)
October 22, 2009
Johnny Depp directed this himself. It was great!
October 19, 2009
Johnny Depp's directorial debut never really finds its footing, but I didn't have the same issues with it that most critics seemed to. I've noticed recurring complaints about the film's slow pacing, but I thought that was advantageous to the style Depp was going for. However, it's obvious that the execution of the picture isn't completely successful. It looks like a TV movie, with rigidly staged scenes that don't always transition well. However, there are some things I really like about the film. For one thing, the story is excellent and the conclusion has an impact, despite all the problems preceding it. This is one of Depp's finest achievements as an actor. He crafts a nuanced, empathetic protagonist who is always engaging to watch. Brando's brief appearance is brilliantly played. His acting was unpredictable and vibrant in a way that nobody else's is, and his dialogue with Depp is exciting to watch. The other players deliver performances ranging from good to terrible, which contributes to the movie's inconsistency overall.
September 27, 2009
"The final measure of bravery is to stand up to death."
September 26, 2009
Indeed a brave effort by Johnny. Excellent music by Iggy Pop.
August 31, 2009
A bit slow but good. I don't think it's a good idea to be both the director and the lead actor. The result could have been a lot better, since the story and setting were great.
August 30, 2009
The movie itself was good, but the ending was really bad
August 21, 2009
Never released in the US, The Brave was a hard movie to find - but I didn't regret making the effort. It's a shame that this movie barely made it into the light of day, as it's a very moving and touching drama, focusing on a rarely discussed subject - one most directors or actors would be afraid to touch.
This isn't a loud or dramatic film - instead it's very down-to-Earth, almost flowing on the internal narrative of the main protagonist, who is forced to make a terrible decision to protect his family. He isn't a perfect man, he makes good and bad decisions, but in the end he's willing to give up everything for the people he loves. A lesson that's been re-hashed through the years, but one that's rarely been delivered with the genuinity of this film.
There's little room to sugar-coat reality here, and it makes for a gritty and haunting drama, one you'll ponder on even after the credits roll.
½ August 21, 2009
The Brave has a very sad story. For me, there were a couple of things that didn't make a point but yet, it was a very touching movie. Johnny Depp did an incredible performance, and was also good as a director.
August 17, 2009
i must see this movie because my future husband Johnny Depp is in it!!
August 10, 2009
A movie created, directed by Johnny himself.
I loved it but it was sad..
July 27, 2009
I was lucky to find this rare movie. Depp directs magical expressionist movie, with interesting characters and surroundings. Pacing is chilled and the atmosphere is kept in control. Unique movie, too bad it is so well buried hidden gem.
July 20, 2009
Although there's a lot of promise in this film, it lacks forward motion. There's a lot of mood here which reminds me a little of Jadorowsky's films.
June 18, 2009
Not my favourite Johnny Depp movie but definately one of the saddest:D
June 18, 2009
Even in his prime, Johnny Depp was involved in great things. This is one of those hidden gems that needs to be exposed. I wouldn't call this a classic by any means, but it sure is a very well done film. The performances are pitch perfect and brutally honest. Marlon Brando, the original Godfather, makes a very interesting cameo in this. Johnny Depp should make another film really. He has the ability to craft a classic indeed. This is a solid first effort.
June 15, 2009
Amazing. I can't describe this movie. the acting, direction, storyline everything is AMAZING.
June 8, 2009
The pretty usual story becomes brilliant in a good hands. Talented person is talented in everything and it's absolutely about Johnny Depp. Brando's monologue is rare and costable gift in a best old acting traditions. Just great.
½ June 7, 2009
want to see it again, very very very impressing film
May 19, 2009
need this on dvd..any suggestions where to find?
½ April 28, 2009
a pretty shitty movie with no point or story whatsoever.