Marquise Reviews

• Doctor S Super Reviewer
    Apr 01, 2015

Sumptuous, sensuous, and some playful naughtiness in this vibrant tale of a traveling theatrical troupe in 1660s France. If she wasn't already a longtime star, this would be considered a star-making type of role for Sophie Marceau who completely captivates as Marquise du Parc, a real historical figure who rose to fame as an actress coveted by playwrights Moliere and Racine as well as Louis XIV himself. Not only is she naturally gorgeous but she fills Marquise with a stubborn fire and passion for acting that electrifies in one of the best performances of her career, gets to show off her nimble and seductive dancing skills, and all the while crammed into a breast ballooning corset. The supporting cast is superb, especially Bernard Giraudeau as a wearying yet quick-witted Moliere and Thierry Lhermitte as the pompous Sun King. Everything in the production is first rate, from the costumes, the Italian locations plus a stop at Versailles, and the rich period music. Best of all is the script brimming with witty one-liners and racy reproaches, this is in fact a boisterous comedy laced with untimely tragedy providing a real feast for the senses and emotions. Puts the overrated "Shakespeare In Love" to shame in every respect, and oh yeah, this one came out a year earlier.

• Jun 02, 2012

The former half is a comedy and the latter half is a tragedy. I like the former part but which part you like may depend if you like comedy or tragedy.

• Dec 23, 2008

just normal not so nice & not bad too..

just normal not so nice & not bad too..

• Nov 17, 2008

Clearly not bad, it´s actually worth watching just for the sake of the masquerade: It´s hard to believe nowadays that baroque people would walk around all day fluffed up like that, fashion´s ways sure are mysterious... I watched this mostly because Sophie Marceau is in it and like before it´s one of those movies that I couldn´t name anything I didn´t like, but it just failed to get me totally inspired. So, good movie, but it didn´t grip me all that much; might work for you though.

• Mar 25, 2008

Ce film est trop bien, certainement l'un des meilleur de Sophie Marceau. Dommage qu'elle l'ait flingué avec tous les caprices qu'elle a fait durant le tournage et la promo.

• Nov 25, 2007

I just don't understand why the culture was such different between the neighboring France and England! What a dissipated France of the time of Louis XIV, which was the so-called strongest time of France!

• Nov 12, 2007

A part Sophie Marceau qui surjoue en se regardant, le reste est pas mal. Reconstitution reussie.

• Nov 01, 2007

if exists red become hot?

if exists red become hot?

• Sep 02, 2007

Toujours et encore Sophie Marceau!

Toujours et encore Sophie Marceau!

• Jul 28, 2007

Beautiful plot, good acting and brilliant humour.

Beautiful plot, good acting and brilliant humour.