The 39 Steps Reviews

• Mar 22, 2021

Recency bias aside, a wonderful pre-WWII film. Breathless entertainment and classy performances fill the 80 minutes brilliantly. Some elements of the plot are purposefully vague, but this ensures that the popcorn-fueled entertainment can be followed by all.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jan 23, 2021

Near perfectly executed entertainment elevated by Hitchcock's craft. The last 5 minutes are just astounding.

• Jan 16, 2021

Remarkable film with a well-deserved title of "classic". Mastermind Hitchcock keeps audiences nearly a century in his future on the edge of their seats. Music seemed absent at key places and present at wrong ones. Technical marvel nonetheless.

• Jan 09, 2021

It's not Hitchcock's best, but it's a very good movie, and a lot of fun. It's got mystery, murder, spies, several chases, danger, romance and innuendo that must have pushed the censors to their brink, and an innocent man - and only the audience knows he is innocent, none of the characters. It's also sprinkled throughout with comedy. Brilliant.

• Jan 07, 2021

To me it is incredible that this was released in 1935 as it is so watchable today. Hitchcock does a great job directing and the actors have a wonderful script to act.

• Nov 29, 2020

I think I had similar issues with this movie that I had with 'Notorious', though I marginally enjoyed this one more. Both movies have good performances and intriguing set ups, but somewhere from the midpoint onward the plot fails to maintain my interest and therefore makes the affair an enjoyable but unremarkable experience as a whole. I liked the first 15 or so minutes, the Scotland portion and the finale. Everything else just lacked vigor.

• Nov 27, 2020

Only very loosely based on the novella, this weird Hitchcock version is probably better than the book but only mildly so. It doesn't really make sense and it's very hammy but interesting to see the early work of this famous director.

• Nov 25, 2020

Imaginative storyline, intricate framing, intrigue, amazing work for such an early Hitchcock. Strong cast

• Oct 27, 2020

This creative little mystery had a nice blend of serious suspense with some light comedy peppered in and the plot was thoroughly engaging as the protagonist was put through an ordeal that would have given Franz Kafka pause. Extra points for the conclusion. 7.5/10

• Jun 04, 2020

Vigorously paced and packed full of so many little thrills, The 39 Steps is a must-watch for fans of thrillers, particularly spy films. So many of the elements have remained in use to the present day, seeing them in such an early film, and from the hand of a master like Hitchcock is a treat. And with a sub-90 minute runtime, you will never be bored. (4/5)