3:10 to Yuma - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3:10 to Yuma Reviews

June 30, 2017
What a wonderful film. Taking a story that's so simple in nature and then adding suspense and interesting characters, it really makes for a unique movie experience.

I especially enjoyed Glenn Ford's character. Even being the bad guy, he had this charm and charisma that made you like him right from the start. Then when you see how truly smart he is with all his psychological mind games, you see what unique character he is.

I couldn't help but notice that some of the locations are referenced in Red Dead Redemption, one of my favorite all time games. It made me nostalgic.

Overall, wonderful movie with an ending and characters that I feel like is more suiting than the 2007 remake.
February 28, 2017
A beautifully-filmed Western shot in Arizona in BW, this movie represents a classic confrontation between good and evil. Glenn Ford does a terrific job of making evil a sympathetic figure, and Van Johnson shows how good stands on feet of clay.
½ January 20, 2017
170120: If you're looking for a faster pace this is not the film for you. Ben Wade's (Glenn Ford) subdued conversations with Dan Evans (Van Heflin) are fun and contribute to the overall tension. Even when asked politely, and not so politely, Wade doesn't let up. Passions really heat up upon arrival in Contention and the film gets pretty dark. Perhaps it's the storm clouds? Some great close ups and appreciated the relationship between Wade and Emmy (Felicia Farr). Charlie Prince (Richard Jaeckel) does a great horse mount near the end but he's no Ben Foster when it comes to being a psychopath.
December 16, 2016
Fantastic movie. Beautifully made. Great acting, great music, and great suspense
October 1, 2016
This psychological western film-noir from director Delmer Daves, based on a short story by Elmore Leonard, remains one of the finest released in the 50s.

The story concerns Van Heflin, a small-time rancher whose gang captures a murderous robber, Ben Wade (played by Glenn Ford). After Heflin tries to put him on the 3:10 to Yuma train, his gang are not impressed and they try to free him.

The two leads give very good performances, and Daves' direction does not get in the way of the action. The screenplay by Halsted Welles is very well written, and this is one western that is worth watching, with the dramatic moments keeping you on the edge-of-your-seat and there is a good amount of tension as well.
½ March 17, 2016
Beautifully shot, the theme song is really catchy, and I loved Glenn Ford's cool and witty portrayal of Ben Wade.
July 31, 2015
Westerns filmed in my old home town are so nostalgic.
March 23, 2015
Where this classic hints, the 2007 version gets obvious. Ford is a great likable villain, Heflin shows the conflicts and then very clearly the moment of decision. On top of this, considerably less violence than the remake, which makes its appearance even more disturbing.
February 26, 2015
Delmer Daves' take on the classic Elmore Leonard tale may suffer from a troublingly uneventful second act, yet this small flaw is ultimately overshadowed by two charismatic leads and some shockingly modern cinematography in this generally successful western.
January 18, 2015
A decent western. Not great - far too many implausibilities in the plot, especially the ending - but reasonably entertaining nevertheless.

It is the constant battle, moral and mental, between outlaw Ben Wade (played by Glenn Ford) and his captor Dan Evans (played by Van Heflin) that make this movie interesting. So many opportunities for Evans to do something different, something unethical, but will he take them.

It is the performances of Ford, especially, and Heflin that make this movie watchable.

I enjoyed the 2007 remake more. Wasn't brilliant, but flowed better and while it had some plotholes and implausibilities, they weren't as bad as in the 1957 movie.
½ December 21, 2014
A very well made, dialogue driven, psychological western with great morals that acts as a showcase for Glenn Ford and Van Heflin's fabulous acting skills. "3:10 to Yuma" is a classic of the genre.
August 6, 2014
A classic cowboy movie with some nice twist memorable characters and some great acting. Surpasses the remake by a mile
June 29, 2014
I have plans to see the remake at the moment.
February 20, 2014
Beautifully shot anti-western potboiler. In my opinion, not quite as classy as High Noon but very poetic.
January 20, 2014
A western classic for anyone who loves to watch old films or Westerns. Based off the short story titled Three-Ten to Yuma by Elmore Leonard, the film follows Dan Evans, a rancher and father struggling with money due to a recent drought, accepting an offer to take gang leader Ben Wade to Yuma for $200 by a train coming into town at 3:10. The film has a suspenseful atmosphere that adds tension to the situations occurring between the characters, perfectly executed by incredible acting, Delmer Daves' perfect direction, black-and-white cinematography, smart writing from Halsted Welles, and a well-composed score by George Duning. The film also has delves into the issues surrounding Dan and his family before and during the events of the offer, conveying perfect characterization. The film also has the feel of a regular Western thanks to the use of shoot outs, and action on a train (though very brief). A classic worth watching, as well as the 2007 remake starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.
December 26, 2013
A psychological Western that, once established, lays down a thick layer of suspense and not until the last frame does it ease up. The film has some solid performances from it's leads Heflin and Ford and a good supporting cast to go with the original story.
December 12, 2013
It's hard not to compare this to the new version (especially the difference between the two endings), but you should judge it on its own merits, and by that, it stands strong.
September 15, 2013
I love Glenn Ford's turn as the charming bad guy. Yet, Van Heflin's tough rancher steals the show!
September 3, 2013
Great movie and Frankie Lane recording
May 9, 2013
One of the few westerns shown in the USSR .I am glad rotten tomatoes merit it as high as I did.