Love Letter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love Letter Reviews

April 11, 2014
Iwai Shunji brings so much beauty and charm to the screen but the romance is always odd and detached
December 28, 2013
Love Letter reminds me of many Mitsuru Adachi manga I loved as a kid. Without using background music, director Shunji Iwai relies simply on dialogue and the overall mood of the movie to make Love Letter memorable. What is behind this mood is a pure love story that will hit you similar to watching a giant story twist from another movie. There is no wonder Shunji Iwai is so revered in Japan, there is magic behind what seems like a bland and stationary movie.
July 26, 2013
As mesmerizing as it is beautiful and sad.
May 23, 2013
Nice, simple story yet very touching. But in every Korean/Japanese romantic movies, they kill one of the characters...Good one, recommended.
June 14, 2012
This is one of the most touching films I have ever watched... A Beautifully shot film that heightens Sensitivity and induces Melancholy...
May 14, 2012
Nowadays I'm generally not in the mood to watch things that involve death but I liked Love Letter immensely - it was handled with a very light touch. Haven't seen a Japanese movie in a while and was missing it. Beautiful movie. Loved the actors and this was Takashi Kashiwabara's first movie before Itazura na Kiss. The adult characters were mature. Miho Nakayama did a great job with her double role and Etsushi Toyokawa stayed just enough in the background to let her shine. The flashbacks showed just the right amount of teen confusion. Just loved it all and kept sniffling.
March 8, 2012
It's been 17 years already....
March 7, 2012
a story of two women exchanging letters about a man they once knew. sounds pretty boring, but is it? nope, infact it's quite the opposite. shunji iwai told this story in rather unique manner: thru each and every letters exchanged by these two women which unravelled the rest of the narrative. a beautiful feelgood-ish little film by the masterful director.
November 20, 2011
Iwai's "Love Letter" are slow, gentle, and absorbing tender love story with great score and atmospheric theme. What else do you need?
½ November 2, 2011
Marvelous film. One of my favorites films. The story is touching but not chessy
½ June 20, 2011
It is a movie that American can't make.
½ March 20, 2011
Dreamy. It lived up to its billings as one of Shunji Iwai's best film ever. Beautiful snowy cinematography. Charming storyline with a twist.
September 17, 2010
is listening "Love Letter" original sound track.
August 26, 2010
not my type of movie.
August 7, 2010
It took me 3 attempts to be able to finish watching this film. It's truly a cute story, but kinda sad at the same time.
½ June 23, 2010
An Asian (Japanese) popular cult movie in the 1990s. Local film critics called it [La Double Vie De Veronique] from Japan. I got quite confused by its complicated story back then, I still think the beginning is a little bit confusing rewatching it today; & the Itsuki Fujii's sickness part at the end is over-detailed as well. Shunji Iwai's script however is so very delicate & impressive, if still not great & concise enough. The two young Itsuki Fujiis' part is simply enchanting.
May 24, 2010
very refreshing opening

sweet high school memory
April 16, 2010
most prefect movie, i watch 4 times at cinema.
March 5, 2010