Gonggongui Jeog (Public Enemy) (Public's Enemy) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gonggongui Jeog (Public Enemy) (Public's Enemy) Reviews

½ February 11, 2017
This was made before Korean films were a popular export and is therefore very much aimed at Korean audiences - hence the odd tone. Still good though.
July 12, 2012
Great rogue cop flick, with a good sense of humor. It's meandering length is the main flaw.
July 6, 2012
awesome till the end
½ March 13, 2012
crime drama whit menssaje
February 11, 2012
Korea's answer to 'Dirty Harry'. The only film in the world where you can see some elderly couple get stabbed to death by their own son and then laugh hysterically in lterally the next scene as some detective desperately looks for somewhere to have a dump. Black humour at its best and detective thriller at its most entertaining.
WrenchLT
½ September 15, 2011
Dark humoured Korean thriller which may not be highly original plot-wise but it's unpredictable and has its own quirks that make it seem fresh and memorable. It's quite brutal and violent at times and there's a host of wacky characters that keep things entertaining during its overly long 2 hour 20 minute duration. It's a very decent offering from Korea that's recommended for fans of dark thrillers.
May 29, 2011

May 29, 2011
A rather long but very entertaining drama about a bent police detective and a cold, calculating killer who play a dangerous game of cat and mouse against each other. Nothing particularly new in terms of theme (wild-cannon cop chasing serial killer), but in terms of execution and sheer enjoyment, there's no doubting this movie's worth. Unlike other murder mysteries where the investigator solves the case with clues and evidence, Kang Cheol-Jung (the main cop) pursues this case because of his instinct. He has no doubt the suspect is guilty (somehow), despite the lack of evidence. There are some problems with the story. We have an overlong introductory period before anything actually happens. On the plus side, it's pretty enjoyable as it is, getting a sense of our not-quite-anti-hero, but at the same time, it lags a little. Although the movie contains both scenes of brutal violence as well as slapstick and character-based comedy, it's all well incorporated, so it doesn't feel disjointed. The principal actor, the talented Sol Gyung Gu, does an excellent job at making a fallen cop likable enough to follow him. Due to its violence and disturbing scenes, I can't say that everyone should watch it, but as far as police thrillers go, it has a great concept and executes it well. As such, if you're looking for a story about a cop and the murderer he's trying to collar, this is as good a place as any to go.
December 20, 2010
Protagonist Kang is a really interesting character, a slackerish, rough-edged cop on the take whose moral compass gets shaken up when he comes to blows with a truly evil character. This movie has really great black humor vibe and revels in the idea that humiliation and violence are more effective than the rule-book when dealing with bad guys.
½ July 13, 2010
Still one of my favs movies. Great Actors and story.
½ May 16, 2010
It's pretty cool, especially if you can really understand subltle differences in Korean expression. Even if this film kinda ends Sung-jae Lee's career (lol) actors performed great. Whenever I watch this film something always bothers me....Chul-joong got furious when Gyoo-hwan said why people could not kill others without any specific reasons. Hmm...Would it be any 'acceptable' reason to kill people? Since I don't think it ever exists, I kinda agree with Gyoo-hwan in a way...hmm...
March 25, 2010
One of the best suspense thriller/action films to come out of korea, it is full of superb acting and hilarous black comedy.
February 21, 2010
FILMFEST 2002---GOOD KOREAN THRILLER
February 8, 2010
i really lik eit it s really gud even if at some moment i lose the sight i really enjpoyed in the end it was pretty gud and i spend a gud time.A really gud movie.and i like the topic..now to be a bit more criticizing i ll said that the plot could have been better but it s still gud.
½ September 7, 2009
You think gangsters can?t file lawsuits?

Chul-joong is a ruthless detective whose life is turned upside down when his partner commits suicide. He is now forced to work solo. His first case as a detective on his own involves a murderer who seems to brutally slay random people. Chul-joong quickly identifies the murderer, a wealthy businessman, but can?t seem to pin anything on him. As Chul-joong becomes more and more fed up, he may take the law into his own hands.

?What type of cock-a-doodle crap is that??
?What does that mean??

Kang Woo-Suk, director of Another Public Enemy, Public Enemy 3, Hanbando, Two Cops 1 & 2, Bedroom and Courtroom, and Happiness has nothing to do with School Records, delivers Public Enemy. The storyline for this picture seemed straight out of the Dirty Harry genre. The character development was first rate, the action scenes were solid, and the script was superb. The soundtrack was also well selected.

?Why would a detective place his own excrement on evidence??

Public Enemy is a film I happened to come across at my mother-in-law?s house. After reading the synopsis, I had to see this picture. I didn?t have high expectations for this movie; however, this film blended Dirty Harry with Ichi the Killer. I will now try to obtain the entire trilogy. The only drawback for this film is that it ran a little long; but overall, this is a magnificent action film that I consider a must see.

?How could a motherfucker like that become a cop??

Grade: A
½ September 5, 2009
Great thriller. Amazing images of chases in the rain... beautifully filmed.
½ August 8, 2009
good action and good play
August 4, 2009
respectable, mais cela reste en dessous de Park Chan Wook ou Bong Joon-Ho.
July 20, 2009
The quinessential Korean cat-and-mouse flick, the corrupt yet ruthless antihero cop matched up against the psychopathic serial killer as their fates intertwine. The dark and at times politically incorrect script will have you in stitches in parts that you probably shouldnt be laughing at. Several recognizable actors make cameos in this, but the best part is definitiely the climatic death match.
May 30, 2009
This is OK but doesn't deliver much in the way of surprises. Odd mix of violence and slapstick, would have worked better as a comedy. Think Bad Lieutenant meets Police Academy.