The Lost City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost City Reviews

November 2, 2008
despite the beautiful music and cinematography, there was little substance to this film. i was hoping for a film that would provide more history of the cuban crisis; this film's treatment was facile. slow paced, boring, and overall disappointing film.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
really great film for a directorial debut by andy garcia. he also does a great job acting in this one. bill murray plays a small role but steals the movie in all of his scenes. his character is even pointless, but he makes the film more entertaining. good flick that i recommend about the rise of fidel castro in cuba. the cast was great and the story flowed well.
bbcfloridabound
November 17, 2007
This is a good movie, with actor and director (Andy Garcia), Shows the Cuba way of life coming up. Kind of like the Soprano's in the begining. Glad I rented, but doubt that I would add it to my DVD Collection, sorry a nonbuy. Great dancing and music all throughout.
FanGirl
½ August 28, 2006
Good music and nice cinematography.
January 5, 2013
This family is a window into the trauma that was the revolution of Cuba. The soul of Cuba was riped out and it is on screen for all to see. A must see!
November 4, 2012
Pretty good movie and I enjoyed it. Reminds me of Casablanca and Dr. Zhivago but set in Cuba in late 1950's. Not as good as those two movies, but still entertaining. Beautifully shot (location is actually Dominican Republic and not Cuba) and good score by Andy Garcia.
March 12, 2012
I missed part of the movie because I had to go outside to return Lauren Fugitt's University of Texas sweatshirt to her (I visited Austin with Will Thomas on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday), so I can't judge this movie with much authority. Based on what I saw, I thought there was something I was missing with the Bill Murray character perhaps. The film seemed intelligent, I just might need to give it another try. I watched it with Dad, Mom, Chas, and Bryce my last day of spring break. I watched it literally before Bryce and I headed over to go to the Angelika to watch We Need To Talk About Kevin.
February 10, 2012
Honestly, I can't explain what happened here. The plot didn't seem bad at all. The movie has a great cast and I'm a huge of Cuba's history, but somehow this movie was extremely boring to me. Big disappointment.
November 17, 2010
I have a feeling the scads of those giving terrible reviews did NOT grow up in Miami. As a non-Cuban from the area, I still felt rather an attachment to the film's subject matter, and I suspect that being Cuban and/or growing up in Cuban culture substantially affects one's perception and interest in this film. Additionally, Lost City features gorgeous costume design and quite good cinematography and music.
November 14, 2010
Explores and interesting topic fairly uninterestingly...Garcia was decent, but the rest of the cast was terrible...
August 16, 2010
This is an Excellent film, it shows the real history of Cuba. Andy my brother I can't be more proud of you. Thank you for making this movie happen.
March 23, 2010
Definitivamente esta pelicula demuestra lo que pasó en CUBA y lo que lamentablemente esta pasando en VENEZUELA!! La mejor pelicula, Cruda y real!!!

Vale destacar que esta pelicula la prohibieron pasar en Venezuela!
March 13, 2010
This movie is not so much about a City as it is about a Family. It is the moving story of a close-knit family that is torn apart by external forces beyond their control. With the Cuban Revolution as the backdrop, Andy Garcia has crafted an extremely well acted story of love, betrayal and violence that may not enlighten you about the history of the Revolution but it will make you want to cherish your own family all the more.
½ March 11, 2010
Andy Garcia brings to life the events leading up Castro's takeover of Cuba as well as the events immediately after. The authenticity of this film is incredible and truly demonstrates the plight of the Cuban people as they find themselves lost in a sea of chaos. The characters are lacking depth, but the rest of the film stays true to the events taking place in the late 50s and early 60s. The cameos by Dustin Hoffman and Bill Murray are unnecessary, but they do not take away from this obvious labor of love from Garcia. He is a true Cuban patriot.
April 27, 2009
I like it because it is based on some true historical events in history that is now being re-awakened by the embargo
½ December 7, 2008
[i]The Lost City [/i]felt too long and slow on many occasions. On the other hand, there were scenes scatter throughout that I really enjoyed. Still, these didn't manage to make up enough ground on the downfalls to get this one out of my "rotten" category.
½ July 25, 2008
Man this movie was boring! Andy Garcia is sooooo lame! There is no chemistry between him and his love interest and all through the movie you just can't warm up to any of the characters! Lame
March 25, 2008
This movie was just painful to watch. Amature camerawork, uninteresting characters, and awkward dialogue are just the tip of the iceberg. I think Andy Garcia thought he was filming "VINCENT CORLEONE GOES TO CUBA". The story actually gets really ineresting in the last 30 minutes but by then I was already asleep. BOO!
½ March 13, 2008
PLOT: Night-club owner and his family experiences the transformation of Cuba from Batista to Castro. REVIEW: Good for me since I was curious to know more about Cuba and Garcia's presentation. This had many of the elements of a great movie, but somehow it all didn't quite click together.