The Burglar Reviews

• 4d ago

I was surprised at how much I really, really enjoyed this movie. Dan Duryea is outstanding, as is Jayne Mansfield in a rare dramatic role.

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Dec 19, 2020

Different kind of a role for Dan Duryea; more introspective than the showy crime guys he generally plays. Here he is an older, conflicted low-level crook who is trying to look out for a half-sister. Jayne Mansfield plays the sister. The acting between Duryea and Mansfield is over-the-top and needed more restraint... visually this film is super.

• Jun 12, 2020

DAN DURYEA (!) & beautiful JAYNE MANSFIELD (one could live to be 73 and never have seen a Jayne Mansfield movie) are excellent in this intriguing plot.

• Apr 02, 2020

Just watching a young Jane Mansfield is enough to recommend this movie but Dan Duryea does a nice turn here, playing the usual unsavory character. Peter Capell's character is played with manic sincerity.

• Nov 11, 2013

The typical heist gone wrong set-up is a helluva lot of fun with a young Jayne Mansfield and a buncha desperate characters after an emerald necklace, building to a nice climax in a funhouse. Recommended.

• Jun 14, 2013

An underrated and overlooked gem, The Burglar is a very stylized film for a B movie. Wendkos uses striking camera angles and far-out set pieces to frame what is essentially a psychological story about family loyalty. good noir from the second noir cycle

• Oct 03, 2011

Ruined for me by Peter Capell and sleepiness. Those looking for Mansfield will be happier to find Vickers (most famous as the wilder sister in The (1st) Big Sleep).

• Jun 01, 2011

I loved Jane Mansfield, but she has to be one of the worst actresses ever

I loved Jane Mansfield, but she has to be one of the worst actresses ever

• Jul 30, 2010

Trippy little '50s noir.

Trippy little '50s noir.

• Oct 15, 2007

Jayne Mansfield plays a feature role in 1957's "The Burglar." The film has an interesting premise, but I thought the plot dragged at a few points. Let's just say It definitely has its share of slow moments. Not my favorite Mansfield film, but not a bad one either.