Criminal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Criminal Reviews

½ April 15, 2012
The lame ending totally ruined it for me. Good acting all around, especially JCR. But the ending makes the whole thing implausible. Apparently it's a remake of the Argentinian Nine Queens. I'll have to check that one out.
March 29, 2012
Not as good or convincing or well-cast as the original!
February 24, 2012
Not bad could have been been better but it's a pretty decent flick. Diego Luna is great in this film.
February 11, 2012
Good movie, and yes I'll have 15%
February 11, 2012
Well acted, especially by John C. Reilly and Diego Luna (I just wish Jonathan Tucker had had a bigger part in it). The story was decent with some surprise twists and clever ideas, but the film was somehow lacking. Not a bad film, just not exceptional.
½ January 24, 2012
I like con films. I'm a big fan of 'Ocean's Eleven' (the remake), 'Duplicity', 'The Sting' and the TV series 'Hustle' so I was always going to like this one. Of course knowing that it is a con film you are expecting a big twist towards the end but I must admit I didn't quite work this one out. I haven't seen the original ('Nine Queens') but I thought everyone was good in this one and it was an enjoyable 1.5 hours.
January 3, 2012
This was a well thought out, entertaining, and smooth film about a money heist. I would put this in my top 100 movies.
December 4, 2011
I don't find John C. Reilly good in this on. Watch Matchstick Man instead, much better.
November 29, 2011
People have said that "Criminal" doesn't compare at all to the film that it's based on, "Nine Queens." For a lot of them, that's their reasoning for giving it a negative review. I say, who cares? What if you haven't seen the original? And since when does the caliber of a remake depend on how alike it is to the original, especially if the original is a foreign film? Appreciate it for what it is.
stevetheman1236
November 14, 2011
I really like Criminal. It's such a fun film, and those are awfully hard to come by nowadays. I honestly don't see why people give independent films such crap. Most of the ones that I've seen have been fairly good, with a couple even being fabulous. Criminal falls roughly in between the two.

What I liked the most (besides the wonderful cinematography) was the lead performance from John C. Reilly. What an actor! In my opinion, Reilly is one of the most underrated actors of his time and it's not entirely his fault. This generation of people see him as the "funny guy next to Will Ferrell". Because of this, his talent is grossly overlooked. I, for one, think that he is a fabulous actor and all of his performances have such depth. His performance is the most attractive part about this film. He plays the sleazebag Richard Gaddis, a man who is consumed by insatiable greed. He will do anything to get his hands on money. It's a character that I'm sure a lot of people can relate to.

The story unfolds nicely and not as predictably as one might think. There are some clever twists and turns, and while it's not the most original piece of work out there (it was adapted from an earlier French film), it sure manages to entertain. Hell, this one of the best films I've seen a long time. A film that can not only entertain, but make me appreciate the talent involved, is a true treasure, and Criminal is just that.
October 29, 2011
This is one of those con men movies. They start off showing their con skills and how they can convince people to do things or con people into giving them money or paying for their bill at a restaurant or gas station. Then, like most con movies they have to find the big score.
For almost the entire movie I thought that they were going to turn on each other. Also, the movie didn't seem genuine. When the guys were in the shady business man's hotel room and his associates were shredding documents they weren't using a more secure cross-cut shredder. You would think if one was attempting to conceal their secrets they would use a more secure shredder, but the ending solved that issue in my head. The ending answered many of my concerns that the movie didn't feel like a real con man movie. It had a feeling of a quirky con movie and both guys weren't exactly experts at the con business, but the ending solved that issue.
The movie is worth a watch.
October 23, 2011
Seemed amateurish. With John C. Reilly, you never know what's going to happen. Not sure I'm going to accept this one but it was an interesting flick.
½ October 23, 2011
Film d'arnaqueurs sans prétention, Criminal est un divertissement agréable, servi par un ensemble d'acteurs de qualité et un réalisateur qui ne perd pas de temps en effets superflus.
½ September 15, 2011
Very clever little movie.
½ August 15, 2011
A movie you may not have heard of but, should watch it. Entertaining con movie with an unexpected twist at the end.
July 25, 2011
The ending was obvious but both Reilly and Luna are entertaining.
½ July 24, 2011
I adore John C. Reilly, so probably anything I watch with him I'll love, because he's such an amazing actor. He's just fun to watch. This movie was a pleasant surprise. Although it's not great and has it's flaws - I enjoyed it. Diego Luna was good too. And although I enjoyed the movie, I thought the ending was shit, hence 3.5 stars.
Tecnoandre
½ July 24, 2011
Based upon the Argentine film Nine Queens. Directed by Gregory Jacobs, it stars John C. Reilly, Diego Luna and Maggie Gyllenhaal and is a production of Section Eight, the production company of Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney.John C. Reilly plays Richard Gaddis, a small time crook with a penchant for con games. To hook marks, he acts like a well-to-do businessman, dressing like one and driving a Mercedes-Benz, believing that one must look like a professional in order to be a successful conman.
Gaddis is searching for a new partner with whom he can perform more sophisticated cons. Despite the ellegant production and the inevitable turnaroud, this production leave us with a taste of somethings missing to complete the movie.Just regular.
½ July 21, 2011
caught the tail end of it. looks like it might have been worth watching.
½ June 21, 2011
The best thing about this movie was John C. Reilly. It was a different role for him and he nailed it. The story itself was decent, right up until the ending, which I must say was a total disappointment. One of the worst endings I have ever seen actually. And was it only me who found the acting by Diego Luna just horrible.