The Kid Brother Reviews

• May 30, 2019

I've seen most silent comedies but this was new to me in 2019. Looking it up it's considered the "forgotten masterpiece" of Lloyd. I agree. This a masterpiece of silent movie comedy gags, directing, acting and narrative. All the craft efforts are pulled together with a coherent narrative thru line, a great villain and a wonderful ship prop which apparently they bought and beached off Catalina Island to film on. This got me more interested in Jobyna Ralston who expresses aspects of the divine feminine better than many other actresses of her era. The 2018 Criterion Blu-Ray has a bunch of extras I enjoyed. I could not get comment track to play using PS4

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Harold Lloyd as Harold Hickory!

• Dec 29, 2017

Another truely great Lloyd picture with great heart, story and clever fun packed action and stunt work.

• Jan 03, 2017

Harold (Harold Lloyd) is the youngest of the family member of the Hickory family, and he is also the smallest and weakest in comparison to his two older brothers, and particularly his dad, who is also the town's sheriff, in which the town is also called Hickory.

• Jul 03, 2016

A splendidly executed silent comedy filled with Lloyd's typical blend of great visual gags and characters. Entertaining throughout and as with all of Lloyd's features, well worth your time.

• Jun 06, 2016

The bumbling baby brother becomes the local hero after he saves the town's funds & frees his family name in this silent action-comedy.

• Sep 11, 2015

one of Lloyd's better pix though i prefer his 'daredevil pics' like 'safety last"

• Nov 16, 2014

Good silent flick with your typical physical comedy. Maybe not as great as some of Keaton's better works but Lloyd deserves his spot alongside the early comedic greats.

• Jun 08, 2014

My catching up with the Third Genius, Harold Lloyd continues with this absolutely wonderful film. The youngest (and nerdiest) in a family filled with traditional macho men tries to prove his "manliness" and worth at the same time trying to win over a girl. Though "Safety Last!" may still be my favorite Harold Lloyd movie (so far), this one comes very close. The third act of this film is absolutely hysterical and at the same time genuinely suspenseful. Harold Lloyd should not have to stand in the shadows of Chaplin and Keaton. He is absolutely their equal.

• Sep 03, 2013

While I've only ever seen one other Harold Lloyd film ("Safety Last"), this gem certainly can hold its own against the likes of Keaton's "The General", if not some of Chaplin's lesser works. What was probably most surprising (since the physical comedy was something I already knew he could do well), was that the antagonist of this film was perhaps one of the best I've ever seen in silent comedy.