The Old Dark House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Old Dark House Reviews

½ October 10, 2015
Exhibit 1 as to why I am deeply skeptical of remakes. Next to nothing to do with the original or the source material upon which the original is based and simply neither suspenseful nor terribly funny.
January 6, 2015
The Old Dark House is definitely NOT William Castle's best movie, not by a long shot. It's a remake of the original 1932 James Whale film of the same name, but less effective overall, I'd say. This movie was so unmemorable that I had seen it before and forgotten that I'd seen it, and when I came to Flixster to do a small review for it, I realized that I already had. It's completely forgettable, in other words. The comedy falls flat most of the time and the scares are never really scares. It's your standard comedy in which people are being bumped off one by one, which I normally enjoy, but this one is just so toothless and boring for most of its running time. Not to say that the original film is a masterpiece, because it isn't, but it's much more interesting by comparison. I enjoy William Castle's movies most of the time, but not in this instance.
September 29, 2013
A man's roommate invites him to his family's estate. When he arrives the man is dead and the guest has to deal with the crazy family as the all begin to drop dead. I thoroughly enjoy all sorts of horror comedies and tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this one really fell flat. As a re-make of the 1932 Whale-directed film, this one comes no where near to capturing either the humor or the grimness that original.
November 28, 2012
A bit of a loony mystery movie with a twist ending, real fun if you like old school campy comedy mysteries. It may not be as intense but its a good watch with friends and family.
November 2, 2012
Amusing and entertaining camp horror-thriller--In this house, fun, mischief and riddles remain!!
March 17, 2012
Sorry, William Castle. This was a pretty poor remake of the 1930's Universal classic. Castle knew he couldn't top the original so he made this version more on the line with comedy, rather than gothic horror. The end result is just too silly of a main character to follow, and the ending just made me roll my eyes.... Maybe because comedy tastes have changed, but the 1950's and 1960's had some really silly-stupid comedy that doesn't hold up...
September 30, 2011
This is the usual murder mystery set in a big mansion with an unusual cast of characters in a strange family. It wasn't very scary or funny or anything, but it's mildly entertaining at least.
bbcfloridabound
August 8, 2011
This is a excellent remake of a 1932 film that then stared Boris Karloff, he was asked to come back for a role in this film but refused because the script read to much comedy. And that's what this is a comedy with a little horror One of William Castle's many films. The house itself from the outside reminds me of the housed used in the TV serial the Addams family. Tom Poston was over the top as a yo0ung sales man from NY in England to deliver an American Car. ends up at a haunted house with a crazy family. Very enjoyable 1960 film. 4 stars
July 10, 2011
William Castle teamed up with Hammer to produce this very loose remake of Universal 1932 film of the same name. With a great cast that Hammer could usually put together, it's beautifully filmed and looks fantatstic.
December 13, 2010
Goofy, very-loose remake of the '32 version, full of broad comedy & played strictly for laughs, as envisioned by Gimmick-Meister William Castle, with Hammer Studios bank-rolling the production. Extremely dated, rife with silly sight-gags & unsophisticated humor, but also full of some superb British comic-actors (Rotund Robert Morley, toothy Joyce Grenfell, fluttery Mervyn Johns, and plump ghoul Peter Bull-) who were obviously having a good time making it, & it translates to the screen. The always-affable Tom Poston is the leading man here, in a typical fish-out-of-water role, wandering the halls of the titular delapidated manse full of odd-balls who are being knocked off one-by-one. Pleasantly amusing, I think I like it so much for nostalgic reasons--it was run repeatedly on our local "Creature Features" show when I was a kid.
½ November 6, 2010
A remake -- but just barely -- of the classic James Whale horror comedy, this one doesn't come close in entertainment value. It's not scary, not funny, and it has Tom Poston as the handsome hero (?!?) all the girls want. It's a William Castle production so I wasn't expecting much, but still. This reminded me of a feature-length version of The Addams family TV show (could have been because Charles Addams did the animated intro), and as much as I enjoyed that show, this is not a compliment. I'm glad it was on TCM and that I hadn't paid real money to see it.,
November 4, 2010
Okay '60s old dark house movie, more eccentric than scary or funny.
½ October 30, 2010
Love the set. The movie is cute and goofy, a nice movie for halloween or a rainy night :)
½ February 7, 2010
William Castle Productions teamed up with Hammer to make this remake of the old James Whale B&W horror which was (like THE CAT AND THE CANARY) a hit stage play in the 1920s (and probably was a favourite of the young William Castle back in the day). Castle emphasizes the comedy already in the original script and tries to make an enjoyable horror/comedy but much of the humour falls flat. One of the weakest films in THE WILLIAM CASTLE FILM COLLECTION. Tom Posten was also the much-harried protaganist in ZOTZ! That film is more fun, but this one is worth a look if you are a Castle fan.
FilmFanatik
December 20, 2009
Definitely NOT William Castle's best flick, but worth a watch, anyway.
October 30, 2009
Director William Castle teams with Hammer for this disappointing horror-comedy. Every gag falls flat, with Tom Poston bland in the lead and a desperate supporting cast trudging through an uninspired script. There are a handful of memorably bizarre moments, but not enough to make it compelling or entertaining - it strangely lacks the energy of Castle's other more original horror efforts. A limp remake of James Whales 1932 classic.
½ June 16, 2008
The only Castle film I utterly loathed. Comedy so unfunny as to be excruciating. Cool Chas Adams titles though.
January 27, 2008
Comic horror from B movie maestro William Castle in collaboration wth Hammer films - no scares to speak of but plenty of quirky, dark humour. Great cast of British charcater actors and Fenella Fielding vamps it up as ever.
December 21, 2007