The Old Dark House Reviews

• Jan 19, 2020

This picture was so unfunny, so unscary, so horrible, that I wished I was one of the murder victims.

• Nov 07, 2017

Mildly amusing comedic take on the old English haunted house with a quirky family and an American as their foil. That broad, English humor a la Benny Hill and "Are You Being Served?".

• Nov 02, 2017

Totally different movie than the 1932 movie, but still a great pic - sets are interesting, some parts great, others campy - overall, a fun movie -

• Brody M Super Reviewer
    Jan 23, 2014

When it 1st started I expected I'd like this movie but as it went on, I was just waiting for it to be over.It felt like a waste of time.I thought it was going to be a horror flick but what I got was a comedy & it wasn't funny at all.I could've turned it off & watched something else but I already watched most of it so I stuck around & watched the rest.Tom Penderal (Tom Poston's character) being chased around by Morgan Femm (Danny Green's character) was the funniest thing about this version of The Old Dark house.Skip this 1 & go see the original

• Sep 29, 2013

A man's roommate invites him to his family's estate. When he arrives the man is dead and the guest has to deal with the crazy family as the all begin to drop dead. I thoroughly enjoy all sorts of horror comedies and tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this one really fell flat. As a re-make of the 1932 Whale-directed film, this one comes no where near to capturing either the humor or the grimness that original.

• Nov 28, 2012

A bit of a loony mystery movie with a twist ending, real fun if you like old school campy comedy mysteries. It may not be as intense but its a good watch with friends and family.

• Nov 02, 2012

Amusing and entertaining camp horror-thriller--In this house, fun, mischief and riddles remain!!

• Mar 31, 2012

The Old Dark House is definitely NOT William Castle's best movie, not by a long shot. It's a remake of the original 1932 James Whale film of the same name, but less effective overall, I'd say. This movie was so unmemorable that I had seen it before and forgotten that I'd seen it, and when I came to Flixster to do a small review for it, I realized that I already had. It's completely forgettable, in other words. The comedy falls flat most of the time and the scares are never really scares. It's your standard comedy in which people are being bumped off one by one, which I normally enjoy, but this one is just so toothless and boring for most of its running time. Not to say that the original film is a masterpiece, because it isn't, but it's much more interesting by comparison. I enjoy William Castle's movies most of the time, but not in this instance.

• Mar 17, 2012

Sorry, William Castle. This was a pretty poor remake of the 1930's Universal classic. Castle knew he couldn't top the original so he made this version more on the line with comedy, rather than gothic horror. The end result is just too silly of a main character to follow, and the ending just made me roll my eyes.... Maybe because comedy tastes have changed, but the 1950's and 1960's had some really silly-stupid comedy that doesn't hold up...

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 30, 2011

This is the usual murder mystery set in a big mansion with an unusual cast of characters in a strange family. It wasn't very scary or funny or anything, but it's mildly entertaining at least.