The Adventures of Robin Hood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Robin Hood Reviews

½ July 26, 2015
I have seen this film on several occasions throughout my life, but those viewings were long ago and I may have fallen asleep during some of those viewings. I guess there was nothing really memorable about the movie for me to be excited for when I watched it recently, and that still holds true (I watched the whole film this time, don't worry).

For one thing, the plot is extremely simple, and to add to the filmmakers wanting to make things clear for the audience, at several points in the movie a paragraph of text is displayed to explain what is going on in certain aspects of the story. Don't worry guys, we can follow this plot. The king of the nation goes missing, and his brother John is trying his best to take the throne for himself. He begins to tax the poor even more to collect a "ransom" since word is spread that the king has been kidnapped, but really this is a way for him to buy his way to power.

On the other hand we have the hero, Robin Hood, an outlaw who for the sake of the use of color in the film is often seen wearing very bright green clothing (and tights). It would make sense for him to dress more raggedly like his followers, but I think at one point it is stated he was a nobleman. This character recruits people of the lower class to reclaim the money Prince John is stealing and return it to the true king, Richard.

With a large set for the castle and many extras, the best moments of the movie are the swashbuckling scenes in the castle, well- choreographed to get the most action they can into the frame. Not to say the action is amazing, but that it was well-done for when this film was released.

Overall this was a pretty average film, very simple but fun to watch at points, and never too violent - I don't think a single core character is killed in this film. This film would be a great way to introduce kids to "older" movies.
July 12, 2015
Still the definitive, and best, Robin Hood movie. 77 years after its
release, the 1938 version still has no peers. (Second best is the 1973
animated version).

Accurate to the legend of Robin Hood, and starring the ultimate action
star, Errol Flynn, this movie is a rollicking adventure. Complete will
all the characters you know - Prince John, Sir Guy of Gisbourne, Lady
Marion, the Sheriff of Nottingham, Little John, Will Scarlett and Friar
Tuck. Pretty much has the story of Robin Hood I remember as a kid, and
not some re-envisioned, rebooted, made-up plot.

Errol Flynn is great in the lead role - every bit the swashbuckling
hero. Good support from Olivia de Havilland (as Lady Marion), Claude
Rains (as Prince John), Basil Rathbone (as Sir Guy of Gisbourne) and a
host of others.

Another standout feature is the costumes. Very well done and they work well with the colours of the movie. Lady Marion's outfits are particularly good.

Only sour notes are the performance of Ian Hunter as King Richard - it
feels a bit weak, especially for a king - and the some scenes feel a
bit clumsy. Those scenes are probably more due to the aging of the
movie - what was quaint then isn't necessary quaint now.

An action classic.
June 5, 2015
Classic adventure film that remains one of the best ever produced along with being the best version of the Robin Hood story to date. Errol Flynn is superb in the title role, capturing the fun of Robin Hood along with a bit of his ego (more than once, it gets him in trouble) while romantically matched by the great Olivia de Havilland, who brings the perfect mix of intelligence & beauty to Maid Marion. The get a great pair of villains to face off against, with Basil Rathbourne being a physical match for Flynn as Sir Guy of Gisbourne (the final duel is one of the great sword-fights in film history) while Claude Rains brings a charming menace Prince John. Behind the camera, Michael Curtiz & William Keighley craft a lavish epic, shot in beautiful Techni-Color, with some of the best action & stunts ever filmed (more impressive today since they had no CGI to fall back on) & gorgeous sets. The story does an excellent job interweaving the many Robin Hood tales, from meeting Little John to the archery competition, while wisely sticking to the true character, one who rebelled against an unjust government's oppressive taxes & regulations over 'robbing the rich to give to the poor' (he has more in common with the Founding Fathers than any socialist/communist). To date, still one of the finest films Hollywood has ever produced.
June 2, 2015
what a wonderful movie! And efficient storytelling! directors of action spectacles should be required to watch this, if only to know how to keep everything moving at a great pace, without any characterization missing, and make it a fully satisfying experience.
May 22, 2015
The kind of exciting, light-hearted, swashbuckling adventure story that Hollywood doesn't tell anymore. It's theatrical, over-the-top, and totally unapologetic.

Michael Curtiz and William Keighley direct this action-packed family tale with so much heart that it's difficult to watch it and not smile. This is the perfect adventure film.

Also, Hollywood hasn't given us a movie star quite like Errol Flynn since. He wasn't exactly an Oscar contender, but he did exactly what a movie star is supposed to do: he lit up the screen. You look at him in this role and you just know that he's the hero. I don't know anything about him as a person, but his adventurous on-screen persona never ceases to enthrall. Modern audiences may not know his name, but his legacy has left an immovable mark on movie history.

Overall, this is a movie that is about something. It's heroes aren't exactly humble, but they do strive for peace, goodness, and equality. This is a fun and family-friendly Hollywood classic with a constant sense of wonder, and some of the finest sword fights ever put to film. I couldn't have possibly enjoyed this movie more.
May 21, 2015
My all time favorite movie ever
April 2, 2015
Iconic down to its tights.
March 22, 2015
I admit the sets and costumes are nice to look at. However, I still think Cary Elwes is the best Robin Hood.
March 20, 2015
Robin Hood is the film that film directors even today would be jealous of making.
March 2, 2015
Classic! I grew up watching this film on WGN's Family Classics, hosted by Frazier Thomas. This is such an awesome film. Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone and Claude Raines. A great adventure!
½ February 27, 2015
Taking advantage of his brother's imprisonment, Prince John (Claude Rains) allies with the Normans, seizes the throne, and levies stern taxes upon the oppressed Saxons under the pretense of "collecting ransom for the king's safe return". The only nobleman who stands in his way is Sir Robin of Loxley (Errol Flynn) and his small army of merry brigands. Freely adapted from the European folklore compiled by Howard Pyle, The Adventures Of Robin Hood boasts a cheeky script, colorful costumes, elaborate action scenes, excellent production values, keen cinematography, fun character actors, and a rousing score by Erich Korngold. This movie is an early highlight of Hollywood action cinema and it's hard to dislike its Technicolor swashbuckling.
½ February 22, 2015
Very exciting adventure film. The stunts and fight choreography help elevate the action of the film and Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland shine as the two leads.
February 22, 2015
Every now and again it's nice to revisit a pure, old fashioned swashbuckling adventure without the post-modernist winks and nudges you can expect today, and this campy, technicolour adaptation of the popular folklore is certainly a stellar example as to why. Innocent and bustling with charm and joy thanks to the amiable Errol Flynn, The Adventures of Robin Hood is harmless fun.
January 30, 2015
Super, awesome, delightful! Errol Flynn is the ideal Robin Hood. The costumes and the make up may be a tiny bit hilarious, technicolor makes it look like a work of art and a vision that every passionate film maker would strive to measure up to.
January 18, 2015
Excelente film de aventuras.
January 3, 2015
Great adventure film with Errol Flynn playing Robin Hood. The Technicolor looks absolutely stunning and it's hard to believe the film is over 75yrs old considering how great it looks on Blu-ray. If you've never seen this film, it is most definitely a MUST watch!
December 30, 2014
One of the all time great swashbucklers? Yes. Has it aged well? Not really. Though that doesn't stop it from being one of the best films ever made. Flynn was at his thigh slapping/belly laughing best with the role and Basil Rathbone and Claude Rains chew the scenery as Guy of Gisbourne and Prince John.
December 29, 2014
The original and the best.
½ December 23, 2014
Its the classic robin hood original movie done in a big way with sweeping musical score, lots of choreographed action scenes, plenty of well-developed schemes, elaborate costumes, and so forth. I really enjoyed how quick-witted and suave this Robin hood was portrayed. That being said while this one is clearly better in terms of Oscar quality, I still prefer the more dramatic and cheesier Robin hood prince of thieves from the 90's (I grew up with that one). That one is more entertaining and has better developed characters.
½ November 24, 2014
This swashbuckling film might be short on character but makes up for it with adventure & choreography. The dancing sword finale between Flynn & Rathbone alone makes this film a must-see.