The Adventures of Robin Hood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Robin Hood Reviews

February 22, 2016
Michael Curtiz & William Keighley's beloved classic cinematic telling of the adventures of the legendary medieval hero is one of the greatest adventure motion pictures ever filmed and the definitive swashbuckler. The dashing, charismatic Errol Fynn is truly the quintessential Robin Hood, and delivers a brilliant performance in the most memorable role of his career, and one of the most iconic trues in cinematic history. A glorious Technicolor film overflowing with spectacle and pageantry, breathtaking scenes of action, drama and humor. It is a dark time in the kingdom when the cruel and decadent Prince John, has declared himself Regent of England by self-appointment, after his brother Richard, the Lion Hearted has been captured and imprisoned in Austria by Emperor Leopold. Prince John is played with a superb sarcastic malice by Claude Rains, one of the finest character actors of all time. Prince John along with the wicked aristocratic Sir Guy of Gisbourne, played by Basil Rathbone in an exceptional performance, and the bumbling Sheriff of Nottingham, played marvelously by Melville Cooper, plan to tax the peasants into poverty, to raise a ransom to save the King, but in reality they are just lining their own pockets, and buying they way to the throne. It's is now up to Robin and his men to stop this wicked conspiracy. Fine direction by Curtiz & Keighley, with the beautiful Olivia de Havilland as luminous the Maid Marian, she delivers a truly elegant performance, and rest of the supporting cast all give exceptional performances, they included Patric Knowles, Eugene Pallette, Alan Hale, Ian Hunter, and Una O' Connor. The color cinematography by Tony Gaudio and Sol Polito is astonishingly beautiful. The climatic sword-fight between Flynn and Rathbone is one of the most famous scenes in all of filmdom. Erich Wolfgang Korngold's wonderfully rousing musical score won an Academy Award, as did the art direction and editing. A triumphant and delightful tale of high-adventure. Highly Recommended.
January 21, 2016
How can anyone who loves movies not love this one.
½ January 17, 2016
Una peli de acción promedio, personajes cliché, actuaciones encasilladas, acción poco creible, producción, guión predecible y muchísimas risotadas gratuitas y forzadas.

Y aún con todo, una peli genial que da gusto ver, acabas con una gran sonrisa tras disfrutar un buen rato y yo diría que esa es la finalidad del cine de aventuras, independientemente de la era de su filmación.

... esto es la Waterworld o Last Action Hero de los años 30 :D
January 16, 2016
A high school play with a big budget; this movie will have you wishing they'd taken from the length and given to the trash bin. The story drags, the acting is bad, the dialogue is shallow, and the fight scenes are lame. This is another curious entry into Rotten Tomatoes Top 100 Films of All Time list.
December 15, 2015
Here we have brave feats of derring-do by Robin Hood (Errol Flynn) and his band of merry men (including Alan Hale as Little John and Eugene Pallette as Friar Tuck). Their bravery is for a good cause: protecting the poor Saxons from wicked Prince John (Claude Rains) and Sir Guy of Gisborne (Basil Rathbone). And even though eyes are being poked out and ears cut off by the bad guys, this is still exhilarating and fun, as Robin's rebelliousness is charismatic and cheeky rather than angry. Of course, the good guys do not always come out on top, but Maid Marian (played by Flynn's usual love interest, Olivia de Havilland) is on hand inside the castle to help them escape. Director Michael Curtiz (stepping in after William Keighley was let go) keeps things moving at a good clip, such that one fabled episode after another comes rollicking through. Both the Technicolor and the frequent swordplay are eye-popping as well and you really cannot go wrong if you are looking adventuresome thrills. Hollywood at its best.
December 1, 2015
Saw this as kid! Surprisingly enjoyable!
½ October 8, 2015
Decades have passed and yet this film is still the best adaptation of Robin Hood period.
October 2, 2015
Let's just get it out of our heads right now that The Wizard of Oz from 1939 was the first technicolor film. This won three Academy Awards and is a grand, romantic, technicolor adventure. This is probably the source material for the Disney animated adaptation and the Mel Brooks spoof. This one focuses on the Saxon/Norman conflict in England. King Richard is away Crusading and Robin Hood gets right to stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. Robin (Flynn) slowly brings Maid Marian (de Havilland) around to seeing the plight of the poor. The movie is joyful in showing Robin best the villains played by Basil Rathbone and Claude Rains. Despite several good sword fights I felt the movie as a whole lacked that extra oomph.
September 22, 2015
This film is the 1930s version of an action film, and it delivered. The sword fights in it were second to none, and the final battle gave me chills. I loved the mix of comedy and drama. I really did have some hearty laughs thanks to the banter between the characters, and I also tensed up in the more dramatic moments because I didn't know what would happen next. What surprised me most was how much Disney stole from this film when they made their animated version of Robin Hood. That movie copies several scenes from this one beat-for-beat. I've always been fond of that particular version of the Robin Hood story, and I think that translated into some extra love for this one. The stars of the film deserve a special mention. Errol Flynn is like Tom Cruise, as he is suave and charming, but also game to participate in some intricate stunts. Olivia de Haviland is lovely, and brings some strength to a character that might otherwise be your typical damsel in distress. Basil Rathbone is a perfect counterpoint to Errol Flynn, as he has equal measures of charm and athleticism. Finally, Claude Rains plays Prince John perfectly, as a weasely man who will stop at nothing to assume the throne. Needless to say, I quite enjoyed The Adventures of Robin Hood. There were moments when I thought it spent a bit too much time in exposition where none was needed, but I think that was merely the style of movies from the era. I'd recommend this to fans of classic cinema and those who are interested to see the origin of true swashbuckling action.
August 2, 2015
Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon .
Didn't want it to end. Every cast member was perfectly fitted for their role. Olivia was so beautiful and Earl as cocky as ever. With little in special effects.
Coming up shortly to 70th anniversary and it holds up well.
½ July 26, 2015
I have seen this film on several occasions throughout my life, but those viewings were long ago and I may have fallen asleep during some of those viewings. I guess there was nothing really memorable about the movie for me to be excited for when I watched it recently, and that still holds true (I watched the whole film this time, don't worry).

For one thing, the plot is extremely simple, and to add to the filmmakers wanting to make things clear for the audience, at several points in the movie a paragraph of text is displayed to explain what is going on in certain aspects of the story. Don't worry guys, we can follow this plot. The king of the nation goes missing, and his brother John is trying his best to take the throne for himself. He begins to tax the poor even more to collect a "ransom" since word is spread that the king has been kidnapped, but really this is a way for him to buy his way to power.

On the other hand we have the hero, Robin Hood, an outlaw who for the sake of the use of color in the film is often seen wearing very bright green clothing (and tights). It would make sense for him to dress more raggedly like his followers, but I think at one point it is stated he was a nobleman. This character recruits people of the lower class to reclaim the money Prince John is stealing and return it to the true king, Richard.

With a large set for the castle and many extras, the best moments of the movie are the swashbuckling scenes in the castle, well- choreographed to get the most action they can into the frame. Not to say the action is amazing, but that it was well-done for when this film was released.

Overall this was a pretty average film, very simple but fun to watch at points, and never too violent - I don't think a single core character is killed in this film. This film would be a great way to introduce kids to "older" movies.
July 12, 2015
Still the definitive, and best, Robin Hood movie. 77 years after its
release, the 1938 version still has no peers. (Second best is the 1973
animated version).

Accurate to the legend of Robin Hood, and starring the ultimate action
star, Errol Flynn, this movie is a rollicking adventure. Complete will
all the characters you know - Prince John, Sir Guy of Gisbourne, Lady
Marion, the Sheriff of Nottingham, Little John, Will Scarlett and Friar
Tuck. Pretty much has the story of Robin Hood I remember as a kid, and
not some re-envisioned, rebooted, made-up plot.

Errol Flynn is great in the lead role - every bit the swashbuckling
hero. Good support from Olivia de Havilland (as Lady Marion), Claude
Rains (as Prince John), Basil Rathbone (as Sir Guy of Gisbourne) and a
host of others.

Another standout feature is the costumes. Very well done and they work well with the colours of the movie. Lady Marion's outfits are particularly good.

Only sour notes are the performance of Ian Hunter as King Richard - it
feels a bit weak, especially for a king - and the some scenes feel a
bit clumsy. Those scenes are probably more due to the aging of the
movie - what was quaint then isn't necessary quaint now.

An action classic.
June 5, 2015
Classic adventure film that remains one of the best ever produced along with being the best version of the Robin Hood story to date. Errol Flynn is superb in the title role, capturing the fun of Robin Hood along with a bit of his ego (more than once, it gets him in trouble) while romantically matched by the great Olivia de Havilland, who brings the perfect mix of intelligence & beauty to Maid Marion. The get a great pair of villains to face off against, with Basil Rathbourne being a physical match for Flynn as Sir Guy of Gisbourne (the final duel is one of the great sword-fights in film history) while Claude Rains brings a charming menace Prince John. Behind the camera, Michael Curtiz & William Keighley craft a lavish epic, shot in beautiful Techni-Color, with some of the best action & stunts ever filmed (more impressive today since they had no CGI to fall back on) & gorgeous sets. The story does an excellent job interweaving the many Robin Hood tales, from meeting Little John to the archery competition, while wisely sticking to the true character, one who rebelled against an unjust government's oppressive taxes & regulations over 'robbing the rich to give to the poor' (he has more in common with the Founding Fathers than any socialist/communist). To date, still one of the finest films Hollywood has ever produced.
June 2, 2015
what a wonderful movie! And efficient storytelling! directors of action spectacles should be required to watch this, if only to know how to keep everything moving at a great pace, without any characterization missing, and make it a fully satisfying experience.
May 22, 2015
The kind of exciting, light-hearted, swashbuckling adventure story that Hollywood doesn't tell anymore. It's theatrical, over-the-top, and totally unapologetic.

Michael Curtiz and William Keighley direct this action-packed family tale with so much heart that it's difficult to watch it and not smile. This is the perfect adventure film.

Also, Hollywood hasn't given us a movie star quite like Errol Flynn since. He wasn't exactly an Oscar contender, but he did exactly what a movie star is supposed to do: he lit up the screen. You look at him in this role and you just know that he's the hero. I don't know anything about him as a person, but his adventurous on-screen persona never ceases to enthrall. Modern audiences may not know his name, but his legacy has left an immovable mark on movie history.

Overall, this is a movie that is about something. It's heroes aren't exactly humble, but they do strive for peace, goodness, and equality. This is a fun and family-friendly Hollywood classic with a constant sense of wonder, and some of the finest sword fights ever put to film. I couldn't have possibly enjoyed this movie more.
May 21, 2015
My all time favorite movie ever
April 2, 2015
Iconic down to its tights.
March 22, 2015
I admit the sets and costumes are nice to look at. However, I still think Cary Elwes is the best Robin Hood.
March 20, 2015
Robin Hood is the film that film directors even today would be jealous of making.
March 2, 2015
Classic! I grew up watching this film on WGN's Family Classics, hosted by Frazier Thomas. This is such an awesome film. Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone and Claude Raines. A great adventure!