Reviews

• Apr 13, 2021

Fun for all ages. Enjoyed watching this movie as a kid and will be happy to show my kids this movie in the future. Fun and funny.

• Apr 06, 2021

Michael Curtiz's direction and Errol Flynn‘s performance make this one of the greatest films of the golden age of Hollywood.

• Apr 02, 2021

My all-time number one movie. All star cast of characters including Errol Flynn, Olivia de Haviland, Basil Rathbone, Claude Raines, Alan Hale, and more.

• Mar 11, 2021

Imagine being a ten-year-old kid in 1938 and strolling into a movie theater to watch this. The massive sets and clanging swords, brought to life in stunning Technicolor, it could and did blow minds and pushed the limits of what an adventure film could be, even if Flynn was relatively familiar and the adaptation of the classic source material was relatively conventional. There isn't as much of a storytelling flair here as you might expect; take the archery competition - John's men deviously scheme it for the audience, and then the film just cuts to the competition itself. There's nothing in the way of preparation or deliberation, everyone knows there's an archery competition incoming so that's where we jump to. But this predictability and lack of imagination is largely compensated for by the visuals, atmosphere, and soundtrack, which are so vibrant and rich that nearly a century has not dimmed their classic appeal. (4/5)

• Dec 30, 2020

Good acting, scenery, storyline robbing from the rich to give to the poor. Man's movie with a love story. It's worth a one time watch.

• Oct 27, 2020

While no Robin Hood retelling will ever overtake the Disney animated version, my favorite in the entire catalog, this one does a commendable job in capturing my preferred tone for this hero, a playful seriousness, that allows the action and dialogue to remain lighter while not sacrificing anything in the commitment to the importance of the overall theme. It is also always amazing how quickly movies went from grainy pictures and no sound to this example from 1938 of fast action and eye popping colors.

• Aug 30, 2020

I've seen so many Robin Hood movies and I know that this is the original Robin Hood movie but I've seen this story before. Nothing special.

• Aug 29, 2020

A terrific movie and even better than I remember. Errol Flynn is decidedly up to the challenge of playing daredevil, lover and scoundrel. And Olivia deHavilland always gives a great performance. Set decoration is outstanding. Early on there is an action scene inside a castle great room, it includes an absolutely huge fireplace where men are roasting a full-size deer. Not only is the rest of the set truly enormous, but all of this was done before CGI! The sound stage must have been the size of an airplane hanger! With an excellent supporting cast, it is no wonder the movie was a huge box office hit. In addition, this a family movie. Bad guys die with arrows in their chests, but the only blood you see is on a deer that is slain for food and, even then, if you blink, you miss it.

• Aug 11, 2020

One of the most fun adventure films I’ve seen and easily the best Robin Hood. The cast is great, the action is fun, and the story is classic. I highly recommend it.

• Aug 04, 2020

The 2 stars are electric. A lot of fun.

The 2 stars are electric. A lot of fun.