Twin Sisters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twin Sisters Reviews

February 15, 2011
Very moving. I love the Dutch accent.
December 4, 2010
If you like the Danielle Steele version of the historical novel, this may be for you. The acting here, by two European actresses foreign language film fans will recognize, is very good. But the material is pretty horrendous, filled with melodrama.
October 17, 2010
Hard but great. I don't normally watch this kind of films, so close to reality, but I don't regret having watched this one. It makes you think about how the war affected people. And also about the relationship between twin sisters, hehe.
½ October 3, 2010
Nutidshistoria buren av stara känslor.. Genomgripande..
½ August 14, 2010
Mooooiiiiiii en zielig!!!!
June 5, 2010
Great Dutch film twin sisters who because of circumstance and the event of WWII become estranged. One sister lives in Holland, other in Germany and both end up caught on opposite sides regardless of their closeness as twins. I liked this film because It showed how, the ideology of the Nazi regime related to the young and misguided. But it also showed the misconception that many Germans supported this regime. It was well acted and i can see why it got nominated for an Oscar.
½ May 19, 2010

I liked the movie well enough. I found it to be moving. My husband thought it was more of a chick flick than he would have liked to see. Maybe. Drama centers on orphaned 6-year old twin sisters forcefully separated by feuding family members. The weaker child is moved out of Germany to Holland where she is well-cared for and adopted by her Dutch guardians. Years later after their lives have taken very different turns, the two young women briefly re-establish contact when one of them is engaged to be married. However, after the Nazis come to power and WWII breaks out, things get complicated, and for a time it seems as though the two sisters will most likely never get together again. That is, until one of them takes fate into her own hands and tracks down the other. The film features a very good cast; decent performances, especially the actors who play the two sisters as elderly people, in particular Anna. The story raises some very sticky issues and handles them sensitively and realistically
April 10, 2010
Soap opera deluxe, glossy but empty.
February 15, 2010
The best film from my country I've seen till now: two twin sisters get separated when they become orphans, a few years before the beginning of WWII . One of them grows in a poor household in Germany, the other in a rich one in The Netherlands. They both experience WWII in ways that couldn't be more different. A very touching story, supported as most of the time in a Dutch film, by beautiful music.
January 6, 2010
I love this movie, it's a movie i can watch over and over, and i always get really upset at the end. It wasn't boring or anything and it was good making a movie like this just goes to show how much of this actually happened back in the day, i didn't like the end much though, or how the sisters were seperated so much but besides that i thought it was an amazing movie.
October 17, 2009
I'm usually not really into Dutch movies, but this one was amazing and made me cry. Very much recommended!
½ September 9, 2009
great at saying out loud that prejudice and discrimination work in both ways. also at showing the aristocratic nonchalance of the so-called liberal intelligentsia of the period (it may as well be now in that respect). rather naive though to claim or believe that an SS officer had no part in any killing. probably just didn't want to tackle the complicated and delicate issue of who and to what extent may be held responsible for the collective madness called WWII and Nazism.
August 21, 2009
Ik heb het boek van Tessa de Loo jaren geleden gelezen en nadien de verfilming gezien, dat heeft beide keren een diepe indruk nagelaten. Heb de film nu nog eens een keertje op tv gezien en het blijft even mooi. Voor een keer klopt het cliché "het boek is beter" niet. De verfilming kan er absoluut aan tippen, en dat dachten ook de pieffen van de Academy Awards indertijd. Echt een van de beste Nederlands(talig)e films van de laatste jaren. En voor wie het boek nog niet gelezen heeft: doen.
August 11, 2009
fantastic movie, with a very touching subject and wonderful acting by all cast ! the war, the pain, the holocaust could not be told that harsh, but without any violence at should see this!
July 12, 2009
Dos gemelas, son separadas en la Alemania pre-nazi tras la muerte de su padre. Una de ellas, Anna es llevada donde unos familiares campesinos, que la tratan casi como una esclava. La otra, Lotte, es llevada con otros familiares acaudalados a Holanda, donde se desarrollará en todos sus talentos. Sin embargo, el recuerdo mutuo de ambas, las hará mantenerse unidas en la distancia.
Cuando finalmente pueden reencontrarse, muchas cosas las separan: Anna admira y sueña con las promesas del nuevo régimen del Fuhrer, en cambio Lotte le teme y desea sacar a su hermana de su trabajo de sirvienta y llevársela a Holanda. Ambas conocerán el amor de manera diferente, y serán esos amores las que de alguna u otra forma pone una muralla o barrera entre ambas.
Sólo en la vejez, podrán reencontrarse de manera definitiva, pero para ello, deberán enfrentar el odio y el rencor con el infinito amor y nexo que como hermanas tienen.
½ June 23, 2009
Mycket vacker historia om splittringen som andra värlskriget orsakade.
June 23, 2009
It's certainly a curious movie for me. Lotte blamed her twin sister, Anna for the death of her fiancé, simply because Anna was married to a Nazi officer.

While neither Anna nor her fiancé were actually personally responsible for Lotte's fiancé's capture and subsequent death at the Auschwitz concentration camp, the question is whether they did play a role by being "supporters" in the Nazi movement?

Or were they really just innocent bystanders? Is there even such a thing as an "innocent bystander" in the Holocaust?

The famous poem by Martin Niemöller:

"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me, and by that time no one left to speak up."
April 21, 2009
I have a thing for movies about the complex relationships of siblings and the ideals that drive them apart or bring them back together. Watch this film and don't forget kleenex!
April 12, 2009
Based on the Dutch bestseller novel written by Tessa de Loo, the Oscar nominated "De Tweeling" is a magnificent movie. The dramatic story of these twin sisters, forced to a separation in their childhood, and following parallel lives due to WW2, is very sad, but never boring. I felt very sorry for the suffered character of Anna, and in the end I was sad with this touching and sensitive movie. Ben Sombogaard did a great job in shooting this movie of a popular Dutch book. The confusions and drama between the two sisters are the most important storyline. The war is only background.The performance of the unknown cast is amazing and this movie is a must-see. My vote is 5 stars.
½ February 28, 2009
nothing really new to say, but quite engrossing.