The Conscientious Objector Reviews

• Oct 12, 2016

11/3/16 Amazon Video A true story of uncommon valor, humility, consistent practice of principles and the ability to overcome the derision of fellow soldiers and the unfair treatment of superior officers who tried to move him out of their units. Doss had the courage and humanity to not only forgive these men but to risk his life to save theirs. It was good to see this documentary before the Hollywood version in Hacksaw Ridge. Hopefully, they will do his story justice.

• Jan 25, 2014

What an incredible story, not only of this man's bravery in the face of great danger, but in standing up for what he believed in as well. Though I do not necessarily share his convictions about guns and Saturdays, his consistency was absolutely amazing.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Jun 15, 2011

"The Conscientious Objector" is an inspiring documentary about Desmond Doss who was given a Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroic actions during the horrific Battle of Okinawa in 1945. What's especially exceptional in his case is that Desmond, taking the Ten Commandments to heart, vowed never to kill another human being. That did not stop him from wanting to serve in the military during World War II, even refusing a deferment for working in the shipyards at Norfolk.(I'm wondering how much truth there is to the statement about some draftees committing suicide because they were refused due to health reasons.) As a Seventh Day Adventist, he strictly observed the Sabbath in the army while declaring his intention to serve as a medic. He still did not want to carry a gun like other medics, even though the Japanese soldiers were ordered to shoot medics to destroy morale.(Desmond's preferred term for himself is "conscientious cooperator," by the way.) Despite harassment from other soldiers(With no small irony, the documentary points out these were the same soldiers whose lives he would later go on to save.) and almost being kicked out on a Section 8, he persevered to serve his country with pride and extreme courage, as recounted by him and some of his fellow soldiers on an emotional journey of remembrance.

• Oct 13, 2010

This movie gets almost no mention on RottenTomatoes or the other big movie sites, and very few professional reviewers have reviewed it. I stumbled across it on streaming Netflix and decided to give it a look. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen, a real-life documentary about Desmond Doss, a World War II soldier who refused to take up arms against others yet wound up earning the Congressional Medal of Honor, the U.S. military's ultimate badge of bravery, heroism and courage. Despite several attempts by his superiors to have him court-martialed or kicked out of the military, Doss persevered and eventually earned the gratitude of his former persecutors, rescuing them and many other soldiers from certain death with no weapon and no regard for his own safety.

• Daniel H Super Reviewer
    Feb 24, 2010

Hero-worship is all too common, and this film sadly overindulges to the point of making an otherwise worthy subject instead a 2-Dimensional poster-boy for politically-correct heroism. However praiseworthy Desmond Doss's story, convictions, and actions may have been, the documentary does little to explore any emotion other than diamond-in-the-rough praise, with a requisite prelude of ingratitude and hardship. In the end, little is explored beyond a simple narrative that reads a bit too much like a propaganda film or comic-book reimagining (indeed, the film-maker cites his boyhood facination with a comic-book about Doss.) Doss himself is a bit too vague to provide much insight beyond that of a strange form of directors-commentary... and we are left with a sadly isolated view of an otherwise remarkable story, unable to connect any strings or make any inferences other than a big, blaring neon light leading down a path to hero-worship with as much substance as a Hollywood script-writer could manufacture in a weekend. Truly, the substance must have been there... but its direction and cinematic narrative structure have far too many stars in their eyes to unearth more than a few heartstrings to tug at.

• Feb 21, 2010

Quite an amazing story of a medic who refused to carry a gun during WWII. It was a bit slow with the bulk of the movie being stories told veterans about their experiences. Was interesting though.

• Aug 21, 2009

Low budget docu about a religious man who will not kill in a war. As an athiest, I first questioned the man (and also if such a low budget docu could keep my interest). Great story about a real person. Even if you disagree with his beliefs, it is a truly heroic story about the power of one person and the power of principle.

• Aug 14, 2009

Excellent movie about The Greatest Generation!! I was either choked up or crying for most of the movie. It has alot of real WWII footage, some of wich is very graphic. Everyone should see this movie.

• Jun 23, 2009

If I hadn't seen this I wouldn't have believed it. Desmond's story is probably one of the most amazing and inspiring stories that I've heard in a long time. The film was not without issues, but once I got into it I found that the power of the story overcame the minor shortcomings in the execution. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix0EPH3jPxk

• Apr 26, 2009

I wish I had this man's courage. Truly inpirational.

I wish I had this man's courage. Truly inpirational.