Dead End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead End Reviews

January 30, 2017
Dead End is truly one of those movies that requires multiple viewings in order to appreciate fully. Although the acting and plot are seasoned lightly with flaws, the premise is both attention catching and solid. Every character has his or her own back story, and these all have gritty substance that ends up playing off the others like gears in a grandfather clock. Dead End CAN be predictable. The best thing you can do is simply wind it up and let it run its course.
½ December 13, 2016
Kind of feels like a mixture of other films that were done before. Aside from the acting of Ray Wise (father in Twin Peaks) as the determined father slowing cracking , the movie isn't that memorable.
November 6, 2016
Dead End is like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. It's as spooky and intriguing, but unfortunately, the ending is just as foreseeable and ridiculous. Believe me, when you see the end, you'll not feel as the movie has resolved its story, you will feel like you've been cheated. And also, this movie has that kind of bad modern horror movie feel that I personally hate. The actors never seem to know what to do with their characters and we never know what's going on. The characters were all clichés. There was enough substance and humor to keep me watching through the end but largely because Ray Wise gave life to an unrealistic character. For anyone who has seen horror movies for the last twenty years, you'll automatically guess the surprise ending, and it's not surprising. This is just a waste of time pretending to be a clever story and just has no brains to it. It just seems to get increasingly silly, repetitive and meaningless by the minute. I'll give a thumbs up to the directing though, they did a good job at creating a creepy feeling, on this isolated road. The darkness and the use of car lights were good. Yes, it's slightly entertaining and never dull, but it's also fairly lazy filmmaking. Dead End tries to be something that it's not, which is a shame. It falls into line with countless other titles that one will look at and laugh as they pass by it in the video store.

VERDICT: "Not So Hot" - [Negative Reaction] These films are truly terrible films. They are not the worst things ever made, but they are definitely awful and should not be seen by anyone. (Films that are rated 1.5 or 2 stars)
October 30, 2016
A family on the way to Christmas dinner are lost on a backwoods road. Every time they stop to try to figure where they are a family member is killed. The remaining members slip into madness on the endless road. A very creepy, claustrophobic story with an excellent performance by Lin Shaye (veteran of many comedy, horror, and comedy-horror films).
½ September 18, 2016
this was much better than i was expecting it to be. i found the mother character to be annoying, but she quickly turned creepy throughout the film. the ending was superb.
July 11, 2016
A suspenseful and intriguing horror film. Ray Wise and as always Lin Shaye are a hoot.
½ June 4, 2016
There's something i didn't like in this flick from the beginning to the end..maybe the silly brat that kept talking all the time, or perhaps the lack of the whole atmosphere...!
April 13, 2016
This was a pleasant surprise!
March 29, 2016
Birilliant movie! I give it a standing ovation. It looked so fresh for me, the combination of humor and true ambience of horror is superb, which is a very rare occurence. The dialogues and characters' demeanor are so genuine and authentic, it's unbelievable.
½ January 5, 2016
An underrated horror Christmas movie. A simple drive turns into a nightmare.
December 28, 2015
This is one of my favorite b-movies. It's hillarious.
November 11, 2015
I liked the whole idea in Dead End and you could connect with the characters right away. They are on a trip...you have the calm mom and dad trying to get from point A to point B, the very eccentric but hilarious brother, and the sister and boyfriend in the back seat. They meet this weird woman on the road and after that, the deaths start piling up one by one. It was interesting how they would show the person who was dead or about to die on the back of the black car, that was weird/creepy. This would have been a much better movie if they didn't rush the ending and they had explained more about why they were at a "dead end" The whole dead end concept is never really clear in this film. Overall though, it was still enjoyable. 6/10 or 3/5
September 5, 2015
Full of horror flick chiches. I think most of them came from this movie maybe. Aside from that and some stupid decisions. Still a pretty awesome horror flick. Ending was a little wtf, but still, the physical, emotional, mental craziness in this film still make this awesome for me.
½ August 23, 2015
Not sure why I liked this one...I just did. Bad acting, thin plot, but it worked.
July 18, 2015
I actually got scared, clever, funny, quite a weird end though but enjoyable
July 3, 2015
I loved the casting choice, but the story was a little too easy to read into.
The movie was kind of a last call for the 90s movies, which is odd since it was made in 2003.

The ending and general plot was too easy to anticipate, and the only thing that really surprised me was the slower pacing which made me think they were going to kill off characters four or five minutes before they actually did.

Ray Wise and Lin Shaye were delightful. If they had a detective series, I'd watch it. This is a good nostalgia movie to remember all of those 80s esque movies, and as mentioned before you get to enjoy Ray Wise for most of the film.
½ May 22, 2015
Breath in deeply through your nose and deeply out your ass.

The Harrington Family is heading to the mother's parents house for Christmas. They make this road trip every year; but for the first time in 20 years, the dad decides to take the scenic route. While driving a back road he falls asleep and almost kills them; when he wakes up from the accident, he sees a strange woman in the woods and offers to help her. The night gets flipped upside down from that point on.

"I'm pregnant."
"I smoke pot."

Jean-Baptiste Andrea (Big Nothing and Brotherhood of Tears) and Fabrice Canepa collaborate to deliver each of their first motion pictures, Dead End. The storyline for this picture was a parody of sorts of similar movies like Silent Hill with a slightly different setting. The horror elements are average as is the acting. The cast includes Ray Wise, Lin Shaye, Mick Cain, Alexandra Holden, and Amber Smith.

"And I thought last Christmas was bad."

I came across this on Netflix and thought it looked interesting based on the cool cover. Overall, this is a slightly below average ghost story that isn't particularly scary but does have some funny lines and interesting character portrayals. Overall, I'd only see this if you're a fan of the horror genre and nothing better is on.

"Talk about a Merry Fucking Christmas."

Grade: C
April 5, 2015
Silly little cheesefest worth a watch and fun to Laff at
½ April 3, 2015
Everything constructed smartly with familiar ending but still mouth-gasping, 'Dead End" is a little gem of horror flicks.