Tristan & Isolde - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tristan & Isolde Reviews

½ April 10, 2014
The problem with Tristan and Isolde is that it's supposed to be an epic love story, but it's missing the love element. Instead of a romance for the ages, the relationship between the two title characters feels more like a summer fling. This film looks good, though, and the battles are well done, even if the story drags on much longer than necessary. This is a dull, but harmless movie.
½ March 13, 2014
Piatto e noiosetto! Il Robin Hood di Reynolds era molto meglio.
½ February 2, 2014
This was okay, I actually thought I'd enjoy it more because I always seem to fall for movies about ill fated lovers and then there's James Franco (who is looking very good here despite all his brooding) The story is a romantic epic based on a the legendary folktale about the affair of an English warrior and an Irish princess in war-torn medial Britain. Its not unlike anything we haven't seen countless times before though and despite some great angst filled moments (Tristan wins the girl ...for someone else) it fell kinda flat. Enjoyed Rufus Sewell as "Marke" 01.11.14
October 11, 2013
James Franco...I wish you could act. I really, really do.
September 28, 2013
Franco has the strange obsession of participating in movies where someone loses his arm..
September 14, 2013
an absolute must see movie. Fabulous cast and acting in a classic love story.
½ September 10, 2013
A pretty good (i.e., faithful) rendering of the Tristan legend, though Tristan doesn't end up running off to join the knights at Camelot in his exile--he never goes into exile, though he is offered the opportunity. I had to admit, though, once I saw that Rufus Sewell was in the role of Marke, I had to wonder at Isolde's taste in men. ;-)
August 4, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
July 6, 2013
Okay, so this is probably the cheesiest movie ever...but I don't care. It's lovely, wonderful, romantic, basically everything you want in a medieval war movie!
June 20, 2013
Massively underrated tragic love story with a beautiful backdrop.
PS. Last but not least, Sophia Myles
½ June 13, 2013
Not worth your time.
June 4, 2013
it had such potential...
½ June 1, 2013
72%
Tristan and Isolde is a hit and miss. The film has beautiful imagery and wonderful acting from James Franco, his female pair and most of the supporting cast. The politics involved ion this film is also good. What is bad is the offensive love story. They try to mingle true love to extra marital relations. Tristan and Isolde couldn't marry because they are bound to law, but they don't find this law b/w them when they are about to have sex. Isolde enjoys sex with Tristan and her husband. What the ****?, is this love? I never really liked the story of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, but once I saw this, I felt that it was way too better. This film is well directed, but awfully scripted. They didn't have enough action to cope up for the flawed romance, why?, because this is a low budget film.
May 23, 2013
Ok so let's talk about Tristan+Isolde. First thing's first, let's get the bad out of the way. I've read several of the viewers reviews on here, and there seems to be a trend of "oh Franco is totally hot and he MADE this movie," so let me just come right out and say that I emphatically disagree. No disrespect to Franco, I mean, he was amazing in Camille and The Pineapple Express, but his performance in this film was wooden and unnecessarily broody. Some broodiness is called for but I can't remember seeing him smile once in this role. Also, to make matters worse, his English accent (we'll say English here, and not Cornish because many people will not know the difference on this site, and even still, these characters are well over one thousand years old and have been told and re-told in so many other countries that their nationalities are fluid in lore) it was absolutely appalling. For me, as an American, it's was like hearing Goldie Lookin' Chain fake an American accent...it just wasn't pretty, and horribly noticeable. However, the film itself was very well done. Sofia Myles was great in the role of Isolde, but let's not forget the supporting cast. Rufus Sewell was stellar as the honourable King Marke, David O'Hara was great in his role as the ruthless Irish king Donnchadh. My two absolute favourites, though, had to be Bronagh Gallagher as Isolde's maid, Brangnae and Henry Cavill as Marke's nephew, Melot. In fact, many people have said they were absolutely heartbroken over the death of Tristan and, while I admit, I was totally sad he died (though I'm well familiar with the story, as I've read it dozens of times, so I knew it wouldn't end well!) I have to say that I personally was more upset when Melot died, because here is a man who seemed to be genuinely good hearted, but suffered the very preventable neglect of his uncle for years... basically, his whole life. Because of this neglect, he became blinded by jealousy and betrayed his kinsman, and ultimately, all his countrymen. I don't mind saying that when Melot lay dying in the underground tunnel, and told Tristan the reason he had betrayed them was because he "thought someone believed in me" my heart broke right there and then, and even Tristan's death paled in comparison. THAT is how strong Cavill's performance in this piece was, and he was only a supporting part! Now for the scenery, which I've seen criticized as "colourless", I have only this to say...It's Britain for goodness sake! I don't know if these reviewers are unfamiliar with British weather, but as someone who has a Welsh husband and lives in Wales, let me clue you in...it's wet, it rains a lot and is very often foggy and cool outside (hey, I'm from the American South so it's cold to me!) If you want a film with bright colors, watch something set someplace else. Costumes were decent, set pieces were passable but nothing fabulous and the score was not off putting by any means, but nor was it memorable. All in all, though, the story is solid...I mean, it would have to be, right??? It's over a thousand years old. A bad story wouldn't be remembered and loved for long. So, in conclusion, would I recommend it? You bet I would. My 15 year old nephew actively begs to watch this film at least once every six months (probably for the fight scenes, which are pretty awesome) and if that's not recommendation enough, then I don't know what is, cause it's not every love story that can hold the attention of a rough and tumble teenage boy!
½ May 22, 2013
So unbelievable, this is all made up right?
½ May 18, 2013
I want so badly to give this film a higher rating than three and half stars, but alas, I cannot. Let me explain why: James Franco. He's just wonderful in some films, and just horrible in others. What can I say, other than this man is not suited to a period piece. He can't hold himself or carry himself properly, and comes off as much too modern and American. These, in and of themselves, are not bad things, but they aren't appropriate for a period film such as this, set in Britain. Also, I'd like to say that this story is near and dear to my heart, and I've read and seen as many versions of it as I could find: everything from the God awful books by Rosalind Miles, to the stunning opera by Wagner, and I really felt this story deserved better. With that being said, I think the wooden acting delivered by Franco could have been avoided by casting someone more appropriate as Tristan. Henry Cavill, who was cast as Melot, would have been an excellent choice. With that being said, Cavill was wonderful in his supporting role, as was Rufus Sewell and Sofia Myles. Honourable mention to David O'Hara as Donnchadh and Bronagh as Bragnae. The cast was mostly quite solid. As for the scenery, I have read that it was bleak, and colourless, but to that I have just one comment to make: It's in Britain, you twit, of course it's colourless. Britain is damp, it's cloudy and often quite foggy. If you want colour, watch a film set someplace else. The battle scenes were very enjoyable, to such an extent that my 15 year old nephew loved the film, and regularly asks to watch it. Unfortunately, the romance between Franco and Myles is stiff and at times, uncomfortable to watch. All in all, I would say this film is better than average, but because I'm so fond of the story itself, I was disappointed at the obvious blunders that were made, and feel that they could have easily been rectified if the film makers had taken the care to do so. But would I recommend this film....yes, most definitely!
March 29, 2013
makes you feel a bit queasy .. Though not too bad Romeo and Juliet still beat them though!
½ March 23, 2013
Don't even get me atarted on the movie.. like the song.
March 15, 2013
This was bad but it got me into that one Gavin DeGraw song which is good? Is Gavin DeGraw still a thing?
March 7, 2013
A great big "meh." So long, I didn't really pay attention much of the last hour.