The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Reviews

June 16, 2015
It misses a lot of the book and has a lot of awkward performances.
April 2, 2014
I'm currently reading a book on David O Selznick, and this was one of his productions, and it was free on youtube so i checked it out, plus i dont think id ever seen a full tom sawyer film, it's kinda crazy the racist things they got away with here, especially with the black boy, and naming a character injun joe, but kelly is really good as tom sawyer despite never acting before, but becky is kind of a useless twat, robson is real good as aunt polly, i never read the book and was never a huge fan of twain, but i guess it did an all right job
April 8, 2013
Not completely by the book, but a very good movie. Tom and Becky's interaction is absolutely adorable. A funny, heart-warming, and entertaining watch.
½ July 2, 2012
Read it so many times as a kid,now it was time for a movie indeed :)all those cute dresses of children,amazingly b'ful sets,simple yet inspiring stories ,those sweet little talks about "Love",takes u far away from the reality to ur childhood.....and u just enjoy it......:)))
April 21, 2012
the best movie ever Mack Twain made
July 31, 2011
La mejor adaptacion que se haya hecho en cine para para la obra inmortal de Mark Twain "Las aventuras de Tom Sawyer". Simplemente deliciosa, conmovedora y por supuesto muy divertida, emocionante y entretenida. La cinta te atrapa desde el principio y no te suelta hasta despues de la palabra "fin". Es "la" peli­cula familiar y de aventuras por excelencia! Lastima que no la hayan editado aun en DVD o Blu-ray original. La vi en un VHS de regular calidad.
August 22, 2010
A fantastic little slice of Americana this was...I had always heard of Mark Twain's stories now seeing this film I could connect the dots.

Although rather cliche, and a little corny at times this film really holds up, being a Selznick Production it has it's money behind it, and having it filmed in technicolour really adds to the viewing.

Tommy Kelly (Tom Sawyer) was a fantastic child actor, that doesn't mean all the kids in this film where... but at least the lead role had a bit of charisma.

Walter Brennan was fantastic as the shady 'do me wrong' character that was framed buy the evil indian (maybe a racial claim of the day?).

This film just has a lot going for it, I mean it's so likeable even though you can tell majority of the film is sets and it's artifical, Mark Twain's stories hava magic to them. This is a good film, a worthy classic to see....
½ August 14, 2010
I loved this film as a kid and this was the first time I'd seen it as an adult and since I'd read the book. Never released on DVD in the US, this David O. Selznick production still hold up upon viewing as an adult. The cringe worthy racism was the one element to mar my childhood memories of this film.
½ March 12, 2010
Very faithful to the original story.
(Mostly) Great actors!

I'm a long time fan of the 1973 musical version, and this one nearly tops it!
½ January 27, 2010
Brilliant classic period dram, relating the story of childhood adventure
January 24, 2010
Wonderful, beautiful film...loved it since I was a little kid. "Aunt Polly!!!"
February 7, 2009
A little too much slapstick, but still pretty faithful to the book and pretty funny. Injun Joe isn't as scary now that I'm grown up. In fact he's almost laughably phony.
½ June 30, 2008
a classic version of a classic tale. The kid is great.
½ March 23, 2008
this movie scenes still lingered on my mind whenevr i think abt my childhood..i cant recollect every bit of it....but i wud really love to see it all over again...the story of this movie is simple,yet it gives us somthing which we all can relate to our childhood days...
March 17, 2008
i want to watch this movie
½ March 2, 2008
Classic! IT's good classic movie about Adventures about Tom Sawyer.
½ February 7, 2008
Same story, different actors.
December 23, 2007
Can't beat the old flicks. It's a cute movie!
½ November 19, 2007
Haven't seen this in years! But I loved it as a kid. Wish I could find it on DVD.