Swimming Upstream - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swimming Upstream Reviews

½ August 7, 2012
it is a really good but sad movie.
½ April 13, 2012
Having strength to do something - to practice and put your heart into it every day - even when your own father pits you against your best friend - your brother. And success. A beautiful true story.
½ May 18, 2010
it is a really good but sad movie.
September 26, 2009
this film is not easy to watch, but it is good... it is very real... it shows the best and worst of brisbane... and tells an interesting story and has some cameos that will amuse the balmain crowd
½ July 14, 2009
Oh the things you will sit and watch when you can't sleep. ...
Swimming Upstream is the coming of age tale of a 17 year old boy from Rhode Island. Star of the soccer team, Dead mother, alcoholic father, can't get his girlfriend to deflower him, and then he finds out he has Leukemia. Don't worry, it's gets all " After School Special " for a second, and then he pulls through.
I like to watch B rate movies. Sometimes the B can stand for Brilliant or Bright, or the Best thing you have seen in awhile. Unfortunately for this waste of film, the B seemed to stand for Boring and just plain BAD.
We all remember Ben Savage from Boy Meets World. He was sort of cute in that show, and he is sort of charming in this film. That is the half of a star. The rest of the cast, seriously needs to reconsider if acting is what they are best suited for. Michael Moriarty, who is usually a decent actor, bored me to tears as Morris Sr. He was so monotone and flat, that I thought I was back in Algebra II with that horrid teacher who liked to put kids to sleep, rather than teach. Yuck.
I think half of the people on Flixster must be high. Some of the reviews on this page actually said that this was a good and sad movie. On what planet?!
Oh and the page is completely wrong. Surprise, surprise. This movie was released in 2002, not to be confused with the movie from 2003, that has the exact same title, Swimming Upstream, about the Australian swimmer Tony Fingleton. THAT movie starred Geoffry Rush, David Hoflin, Deborah Kennedy, and Brittany Brynes. The only correct actor on this movies Flixster page was Ben Savage. He should be up there with Matt Czuchry, Michael Moriarty, and Kelly Rutheford.
Seriously people, pull your heads out of your asses, before you try to wax intellectual on things. Not that is really matters, THIS Swimming Upstream is still a huge failure.
July 13, 2009
This is not the real cover! But it's the real trailer! Cole you must watch this!
May 9, 2009
loved it. this movie was sad. im so happy that he didnt die. i wish ben savage would do more movies.
½ August 16, 2008
Inspirational story. A must see.
August 8, 2008
It was an awsome movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 22, 2008
An uneasy mix of kitchen sink realism and after-school special. The incessant split screen effects during the race scenes almost brought on a seizure. An appealing, pleasant affair lent a bit of gravitas via Davis and Rush's presence in almost every scene. I don't feel I learned much about Tony Fingleton as a person, though. His brother John (Tim Draxl) was hot, that I can tell you.
December 30, 2007
my baby is a great actor
September 16, 2007
Aww I liked this flick
August 15, 2007
awwww, this movie is such a tearjerker and sooooo romantic! Matt Czuchry does an amazing job in this movie....his acting literally moves you to tears! i can't help but say he's adorable, too!
½ July 14, 2007
a great movie with a will crafted story and drama all over it with passion and love for sport don't miss it
June 19, 2007
this movie is sad and if you dont swim then you wont understand it
½ June 17, 2007
This is actually pretty good.
May 26, 2007
this movie seems to be very good iam dieing to see it
May 6, 2007
the main kid in this is now on house i think. hottiiiieeee
April 13, 2007
I have never even heard of this movie whats it about!
February 8, 2007
this ovie is also sad, i cried in this movie, i love it though.