Smile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smile Reviews

May 30, 2015
Loved it, still one of my favourite movies!
November 16, 2013
Not the best film, the lead actresses performance wasn't good. but the overall message saved the film
April 2, 2013
Having a good message is not enough to make this film great.
½ February 11, 2013
An ok feel good movie.
February 4, 2013
Heartfelt film 10 Stars+

Watch it. You will love it too.
January 24, 2013
Cryin my eyes out ;(
January 7, 2013
I like the connection that is made between the two girls and the contrast of their lives. The story is a little slow, but very sweet with a great ending.
July 18, 2012
nice story and nice cast :)
February 9, 2012
Heartbreaking yet very inspiring!!!
½ October 14, 2011
liked the movie a lot!
October 10, 2011
This film has two stories going on at the same time until they overlap. A poor Chinese father adopts a little girl with a cleft palate and a whiny, selfish, annoying teenage girl from Malibu struggles with her boyfriend pressuring her to have sex. Curious about Operation Smile and how she can help, she takes a trip to China as a volunteer with a medical team who help give operations to those in financial need. It's a very uplifting movie with a great cast. It really makes me wonder if the actor who plays Lin really had a cleft palette and then they gave her an operation or if they put one heck of a really great make-up job on her.
½ September 11, 2011
The film parallels two stories: an impoverished Chinese father who sacrifices his wife and son to raise a facially-deformed orphan named Ling (Yi Ding) as his very own, and a Malibu self-absorbed teenager (Mika Boorem as Katie) who seemingly has it all including the arguing parents (Beau Bridges and Linda Hamilton) and a boyfriend (Erik von Detten) pushing her to have sex. She goes to China with a volunteer medical program, (Operation Smile, which provides reconstructive surgery to needy children and young adults in developing countries and the United States) and comes face to face with the realities of the big bad world.

This is one of those movies that make you sit and wonder. Wonder about the difficulties that some underprivileged people face. The hardships they go through and in this movie it is interesting to see how Katie transforms into someone whose mission it is to help someone else.

The character of the Chinese father (Wang Luoyong) is one that especially impressed me as it is very touching to watch a father sacrifice everything for the love of an adopted child especially one with a physical deformity.

It's uplifting, and it's in a good cause, which I'm assuming is what attracted the names in the cast including Sean Astin as her teacher and Cheri Oteri as the too-enthusiastic nurse from Utah.
April 13, 2011
I quit watching after 25 minutes. The scenes were After-School-Special-simplistically conceived, written and directed. Performances from the Chinese cast were up to the task, but the Americans were as two-dimensional as the production. After seeing the 15% "rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I knew it was time to get out while I still had some of my evening left. The message behind it is, I'm sure, laudable, but I don't need to sit through a half-lazy production to be reminded of it, besides which it deserves a better effort.
April 11, 2011
Good movie, but i feel like it ended abruptly without really concluding properly.
½ March 16, 2011
I don't know who wrote that summary, but Katie does not travel to China with her father, who is not a doctor, and who is not played by Sean Astin. Astin plays Mr. Matthews, her high school teacher, not a doctor, who inspires her to go, by herself, to China. Clumsy plot lines, feels like an Afterschool Special, but the relationship between the father and his deformed daughter is quite moving.
½ January 28, 2011
This movie wavers between very cheesy and surprisingly touching. It kind of comes of as a plain, made-for-tv movie, but this simplicity gives it a charm. I found it to be a little unbalanced in that it seemed to concentrate on the actual relationship between the two girls very little, rather showing the contrast of their lives. It does really put a lot of things into perspective.
January 10, 2011
This is definitely not a "Hollywood" kind of movie with polished actors, a big budget and an elaborate set... however, I think that makes it more effective and more realistic. The plot is slow-moving, but keeps you interested, and really makes you think. I enjoyed this movie.
January 1, 2011
Loved it. This is work we can all support. Only $250 covers complete surgery and follow up.
December 15, 2010
A good movie, but there was something 'off' about it... The beginning (which wasn't the important part of the movie) took forEVER to get through - about an hour and 10 minutes. Then the end (which WAS the important part of the movie) went by in like, 20 minutes. Needless to say, I liked it, even though I wasn't impressed by the composition of it.
½ June 12, 2010
Missed the first half, but it was really good. Loved the fact that a lot of it was filmed in China.