The Baxter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Baxter Reviews

April 22, 2015
Not for everyone perhaps, but brilliant, subtle , and hilarious.
August 28, 2013
I really liked some of these characters and I loved how everything turned out in the end.
May 10, 2013
Short on laughs from a good cast; I expected a lot more. Thin story, as well. Williams is excellent. Showalter didn't do a thing for me, and neither did his script.
March 8, 2013
I love this movie. Maybe you have to be a Baxter to enjoy it.
March 6, 2013
A very quirky film, full of cliches about losing the girl to the other more exciting guy. I thought it was quite good.
½ December 23, 2012
Had its moments and a very interesting concept but wasn't all there.
October 29, 2012
Very clever romantic comedy...indie style. I finally get Michelle Williams's appeal. It's a straight forward story with a fun storytelling that keeps it fresh. Peter Dinklage is a treat too.
September 28, 2012
Bad acting by the main character... But i LOVE PAUL RUDD IN IT :) and i kinda like the story
July 23, 2012
Another film I'd like 2 C.
June 5, 2012
An underappreciated gem. I really wish this had been given more recognition. I just loved it. I suppose it is because the Cecil Mills character reminded me a bit of myself.
June 3, 2012
Quirky and Predictable but I love it! Michelle Williams is gorgeous
½ May 30, 2012
Almost a conventional romantic comedy, but with splashes of absurdism. All the performances are strong, but Michelle Williams is the standout (much as I love the Showalter/Black/Wain trio).
½ April 8, 2012
Terrific idea for a movie and who better to pull it off than Michael Showalter and the Stella ensemble. Terrific casting and absolutely hilarious.
March 26, 2012
As it turns out, I love every Michael Showalter movie.
March 16, 2012
If you love romantic comedies, but are fed up with how bad most of them are, this is the movie for you. The Baxter is a funny, sweet, and off beat send-up of romantic comedy conventions, telling the story of all the perfectly nice guys who get dumped by the leading lady before the credits roll. It's a very clever premise that's pulled off by a group of actors on the exact same page.
February 25, 2012
Reid you are wrong again. But then again I loved The Chronicles of Riddick.
February 4, 2012
I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!
December 9, 2011
Meh, nothing really going on here.
½ December 2, 2011
Have you ever watched one of those rom-coms where there's a sad guy left at the alter because his bride to be leaves him for the guy that she's supposed to be with? Have you ever thought, "Wonder what happened to that poor guy?"
Well here's the movie that answers that question. For fans of The State, Wet Hot American Summer, and the infamous Michael, Michael, and David - this is the ultimate rom-com for you! Not only do you get both Michaels and David but a slew of other State/Wet Hot vets. Bonus- early Michelle Williams, and she's amazingly good. If you're a fan of black humor and are looking for a different kind of rom-com, give it a go. It's one of my new favorites.
½ November 6, 2011
A clean indie is hard to come by, and in addition to the old-fashioned romantic comedy vibe this film has going, it's really funny. The weird off-beat humor of Stella is still infused throughout the film, which is why I love it. I've heard people say it's simple with an obvious ending, but for some reason, I don't even mind the inevitable plot turns. The story is endearing and Showalter's neurotic Elliot is hilarious. If there were only more baxters in the world...guys who enjoy raking leaves and reading the dictionary for fun.