Alexander the Great - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alexander the Great Reviews

October 20, 2009
Decent enough film. epic? no. too much melodrama and not enough good dialog too keep me interested in the story. the only interesting dialog is that of between Philip(alexanders father) and Alexander. BUT.... it IS better than Oliver Stone`s version.
September 12, 2009
por lo visto Rossen no dispuso de muchos medios económicos. vista en 2009
July 18, 2009
Not evem Richard Burton can save this one. Screw that, Burtion is part of the problem in this overbloated mess which is so puzzingly edited, you feel this could have been a longer movie at one time, what with all the fast fade outs and scenes really about nothing. Richard Burton, in a laughable wig, does his William Shatner as Alexander impersonation so well, that even the bit players get a chuckle during scenes. The battle scenes in this are just plain bad. soldiers are wandering around doing nothing while in camera view. Just not believable at all. Avoid.
July 4, 2009
The first half was too slow and the second half was too fast. Also, Richard Burton was acting the exact same way that he later would in Cleopatra. And people think the new one was bad.
½ June 14, 2009
Easily one of Burton's least impressive films and a pretty tiresome 'epic' devoid of any decent battle scenes, but full of moody posturing that would be more at home on the stage.
½ June 13, 2009
A terrible script and unimaginative treatment of this fascinating era in history, leaves a dull and lifeless epic. Not worth bothering with.
½ May 30, 2009
When we talk about epic films there are no better such the oldies (x0s, 50s, 60s and 70s). They're nice to me because I can learn some ancient history meanwhile enjoy the film.
April 11, 2009
A passionate filmmaker like Rossen could have switched off the engine,return credits to the producers and reject a project like Alexander's life.Paradoxically,not only he's successful in accomplishing it,Burton is hermaphroditic in a masculine facade just as Alexander was supposed to be shown!So Mr Stone you can kiss my sorry ass!!!
April 2, 2009
How could such a great subject like Alexander, played by such a brilliant actor as Richard Burton, result in such a boring movie?
½ March 3, 2009
Better than Olver Stone's effort.
February 26, 2009
The historical inaccuracies, the creepy blond wig, the over-the-top stage-like acting so common in the 50's, and the slow pacing left me unimpressed. It could have been worse I suppose but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again. Utterly forgettable.
January 6, 2009
No comment. It's a 5 stars movie! I truly enjoyed this film.
January 3, 2009
A lavish costume drama but a dull depiction of the conquering Macedonian, stemming from a script not worthy of the epics' genre.
January 3, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a pretty good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...its a good 1950's movie 2 watch...its got a really good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that the costumes throughout this movie were ok as well throughout this movie...i think that the director of this action/adventure/Drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie n its a good 1950's movie 2 watch
December 14, 2008
it was a very nice movie and it was a inspiring descripyion of alexanders life and it one of the most admirable movies i have watched
December 10, 2008
Ohhh, the perfect story for the epic movie era in Hollywood. And yet, it doesn't live up to films like Ben-Hur or even Cleopatra. Alexander the Great is what could have been. Richard Burton was perfect for this role, but even he can not save this mediocre movie. The music is repetitive in a bad way, and some of the edits are rather choppy. There are some good scenes sprinkled in but not enough to lift this film.
½ November 21, 2008
Better than that piece of crap from Oliver Stone.
½ October 1, 2008
A time when fighting was advantageous, spell binding, and dangerous. Alexander was a hero that everyone admired until he met his enemies. Nice movie with a lot of great special effects.
½ September 15, 2008
Marvelous! Amazing sets and props. Although it was not big on dialogue or acting it was very big on stunts and action so it was a good blockbuster.
½ August 12, 2008
The dialogue is interesting and exciting, the dated visuals (like cities "burning" with red smoke) are charming - the only two things I'll hold against it is that some acting, movement rather than talk, is too brazenly theatrical - the laughter is idiotic, the fighting looks like rapier-fencing with knives... and the erronous historical facts - Barsine is presented as a Greek woman, Roxane as daughter of the Persian King, the whole Indian campaign is blithely ignored and some events are not in place.