Neverwas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Neverwas Reviews

March 14, 2016
It is a rare thing when a movie can have you suspend disbelief, and Neverwas did this beautifully. I wanted so much for their to be magic in this world, and there was.

Magical performances, and a magically colorful story full of delusion, hope, adventure and redemption. Take some time, live through Zachary and let your inner child's imagination wonder at the possibility of the magical land of Neverwas.
½ June 21, 2014
A little too incoherent, with forced emotional moments.
June 4, 2014
I tried to watch this one, but despite the amazing cast it couldn't hold my attention.
½ April 6, 2014
Never was is much to straight forward to capture the imagination of today's critics. Without spades full of irony or dripping as self referential product placements, they fail to see the simple truths of love and caring this film deliverswithout resorting to melodrama.
In some ways the fact that they don't see this is a commentary on the dysfunction of our times. Please see this film and enjoy it's pleasures.
April 1, 2014
This movie, is one of the best movies I have ever seen!!! I don't know why people react to this movie otherwise! Who doesn't like it, should change your mind, who didn't see it, watch it!
½ February 18, 2014
Hmmm... enpä tiedä oliko tän elokuvan tarkoitus olla (ärsyttävän pinnallinen) psykologinen draama vaiko aikuisille tehty fantasiaelokuva...?? (Suom. Neverwas - Satumaa)
½ December 3, 2013
My Review: 7/10
Date: 12/3/2013
Neverwas is a fun movie. I liked the premise of the story - tying a man's search for his past and his father's mental illness with the fairy tale his father created. There are a ton of big name actors in this and they do a good job, especially Ian McKellan. It was touching, but at times a little over dramatic and not as magical as it could have been. I am surprised that it was a straight to DVD movie. It's definitely worth a watch.
½ November 20, 2013
While sometimes overtly literal in it's storytelling and imagery the incredibly whimsical and charming performances by it's cast make this film the definition of 'a underrated gem'
October 28, 2013
Thought-provoking, more than a fairytale.
October 19, 2013
The best part of the movie is Ian McKellen's performance. It's just brilliant, it almost makes you believe that Neverwas really exists -- everything else is just plain, unexciting and confused. The soundtrack is quite good at points but the writing is just fair and nothing special. In all yeah, it was ok to watch but nothing exceptional or that I'd like to see over and over again -- Might be worth the watch if you're looking for something quite peculiar.
½ August 18, 2013
snore,snore "zachary" for the most part 'cept that single strangely moving moment near the end, at gabriel's "castle".
got a low threshold for these romanticized/ tortured souls bullshit.
July 24, 2013
If you are not caught up and swept away by this amazingly acted and directed GEM, you are official dead inside.....
½ July 11, 2013
An interesting celebration of "Private purpose folk art" The central creation in this story is not unlike the Watts Towers in L.A., or Grabriel's throne in the Smithsonian. These creations are always driven by an internal voice. This film attempt to give some insite into the private thoughts of the artist/
April 4, 2013
great movie for the imagination
March 24, 2013
Excellent movie but I had thought it was a movie I could watch with my 2 yrs old...No
½ March 7, 2013
This movie had sooo much potential to be like a better "Big Fish" but the slow and poorly written story and weird miscasting really stymied it.
February 11, 2013
Slightly misleading cover and synopsis, but you can't go wrong with Ian McKellen and Philip Glass.
½ December 13, 2012
Het einde verpest heel de film :(
December 12, 2012
Despite all the bad reviews, I found this movie to be unbelievably charming. Ian McKellen is perfect in his role, and Aaron Eckhart is as likeable as ever. It's a great character study and full of charm, and I'm really glad I decided to give it a chance.
December 7, 2012
Need to see sometime, some of my fave actors..