Neverwas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Neverwas Reviews

September 9, 2012
Very entertaining and underrated. Pulls you in and really makes you believe, with a great ending.
August 30, 2012
Had the plot to NEVERWAS not been so contrived and stuffed with melodramatic subplots and themes, this film might have worked. Ever-so-slowly discovering that an author of a famous children's fantasy stole the creation from a mental patient and allowing the late thief's son to unwittingly become the detective is story enough. That there was an actual place underlying the mental patient's fantasy, that events gives son some closure and subtle messages like "we all create our own kingdoms", etc., can be interesting and accepted with cleverness and deft touch.

Instead NEVERWAS pounds themes, circumstances and profundity into our brains until we become weary. Why not have made son a wash-out who came to work at the institution out of desperation? Instead of making the heroine a clandestine reporter, why not just a local lass whose obsession with the famous kid tale parallel's the mental patient; i.e., how we all live in fantasy worlds, though to different degrees. Why not just toss mom's character along with the characterization given to the other mental patients or to the institute's chief?

The all star cast is simply inexplicable and, with the exception of McKellum, unnecessary. In the end, NEVERWAS is enjoyable, though its dinner at a four-star restaurant when all you needed was a slice of pizza.
½ August 18, 2012
I enjoyed this movie, if your looking for something deep this probably isn't for you. But it was entertaining and a pretty fun movie.
August 11, 2012
An excellent movie for rationalists to watch before watching any of the Harry Potter, Narnia or Dark Materials movies.
I found myself at first disappointed when the twist I was expecting idn't arrive, then I was amazed at how cogent an argument that created.
August 2, 2012
A mug filled with sparkles, sugar bombs, king's castle... a bit of "craziness" that we could all use...
July 14, 2012
A charming fairy-tale of a story in which a psychiatrist (Eckhart) comes to confront his past when treating a patient (McKellan) when he takes a new job at a clinic. Only Ian McKellan could bring such realism to a role that in other hands could become laughable.
½ June 23, 2012
Ian McKellen is better than you at acting...100% of the time. Philip Glass FTW.
April 25, 2012
Unheard of, and yet a very mildly stirring fantasy film that makes you appreciate the mysteriously imagined world created around the past of a man searching for answers. Ian McKellen's character Gabriel, a role that is both puzzling and trapped, and still, hopeful, really helps paint that fantastical world for Aaron Eckhart's character Zachary. I loved the music by Philip Glass; his music can be very unexpectedly haunting even as mellifluous, graceful, and charming like a children's story should be. Zachary's childhood past is very haunting with unexplained memories.
½ March 21, 2012
This is a smart and moving tearjerker about a man who discovers that his father could have possibly known a King from another dimension. It's a fairytale for grown ups, and it's all about believing in magical things like we did when we were kids. Nick Nolte gives a killer performance as the despondent father who's made way too many mistakes in life and wants to believe in this other magical world. Great story that keeps you guessing about how it's gonna turn out in the end
March 20, 2012
I feel very sad for those whom don't understand this film, for you have lost your inner child. Perhaps it never was.
March 14, 2012
Sounds beautiful....
February 6, 2012
This is a film you just stumble upon and start watching while surfing the net, when it grabs your attention so hard that you stop all other activities and try not to miss a tiny bit of the film. The feeling it has is magical, it's a sweet and tragic film, it makes you cry and smile and cry again. Oh, Ian McKellen's outstanding, breathtaking performance is unforgettable! Loved it!
February 3, 2012
Just ran across this movie on Showtime and having never heard of it,I sat down and watched it.I found it very entertaining,enough so that I had to look it up and read more.A whimsical tale kept me guessing was it real,was it fantasy,right up to the last 10 minutes,worth the watch for sure !
February 1, 2012
A surpriseing little movie that was done really well. The story was really good and the acting also.

I had passed this up many times thinking it would be just another fantasy but it's more then that. HArdly any fantasy in it at all but one you'll have to watch to judge for yourself.

Mckellen does a very good job in this and the supporting cast helps with everything.

A nice little film about a story and what to believe.
½ November 5, 2011
It was nice. It appealed to my imagination and gave me hope of a world where even if kings and wizards don't exist, we can still embrace what it means to be them.
October 22, 2011
Brilliant, heartwarming drama with a special quote that we should all live by.
August 9, 2011
Loved Ian McKellen in this movie. Though I think I didn't got the moral of it.. but fun to watch, confusing sometimes.
July 16, 2011
ended up buying it on DVD and loved it/
it a story that round around a book story but opens ur mind to the world
July 10, 2011
Aaron Eckhart plays Dr. Zachary, is a talented young psychiatrist attempting to understand the nature of his father's (Nick Nolte) madness which resulted in a successful suidice. He takes a position at a mental institution where his father had been hospitalized. There he meets and becomes friends with an old man, Gabriel (Ian McKellan), who knew his father while they were both inmates. He comes to realize that the old man's delusion was the basis for his father's inspiration as a children's fantasy writer. Jessica Lange plays Zack's bruised alcoholic mother who can't forget her dead husband, Brittany Murphy is the reporter obsessed with the kid of the brilliant author of a children's book entitled Neverwas. William Hurt appears as the hospital's administrator. A lot of big names here including Alan Cummings and Vera Farmiga as patients of the institution in this formidable cast. At the end of the movie I was perplexed though at what exactly was reality and insanity....perhaps I need to look at it again.